SG101 on the Web

Follow SurfGuitar101 on Twitter

Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

PolloGuitar: Listening to the Boss Martians on KEXP right now!
13 days ago

JayJ: we have today Finland Indepenced day! and my stereos play Finnish Rautalanka and loud!!! Cheers my mates all over the world!!
13 days ago

Brian: Wow I did not know about the Boss Martians on KEXP. Is it archived?
10 days ago

PolloGuitar: I don't know what NGD means!
10 days ago

acidjoker: PolloGuitar - "New Gear/Guitar Day" ? Smile
10 days ago

Number9: Nope: National Gymnastics Day/ Natural Guild of Decoupeurs/ Next Generation Dragons/ National Geographic Database/ Number of Good Data/ Neuropathic Gastric Dilatation/ Novel Gene Discovery.
10 days ago

willmarshall: Marshall and the Martins wanna help Satan's Pilgrims. Check the news.
9 days ago

dragonfly: Just posted Dick Dale's beloved yacht for sale in the forum section F/S Dick Dale's Yacht. Check it out! thanks Brian for posting it.
8 days ago

dragonfly: MIss the band members very much but hope to see some of them at Jeff BTD's gig Jan 31, 2015 Yes
8 days ago

bigtikidude: Thanks Linda, see you there: http://surfg...
6 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 MP3 Comps
Top 101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Tank reverb vs boss frv-1 vs the audience

New Topic
Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

I, like many of us here, am probably too picky about "authentic" sound. I own a '63 RI Fender Reverb unit and a boss frv-1. I think they sound similar, not the same, but similar. My question is what do you guys and gals is....do you think the "average" audience members even pay that close attention to the sound or are they like my wife and just notice the shiny guitars?

Sorry for the long post. Just curious...

I think the answer to this question has not only been stated many times on here, but is also pretty obvious. The average audience member wouldn't know the difference between a pedal, tank, onboard reverb, tube amp, solid state, humbucker, P90, etc...

Kill, Baby...Kill! ... Apocalyptic Surf Punk from the bowels of Alabama!

www.killbabykill.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/killbabykill/
www.reverbnation.com/killbabykillal
www.facebook.com/killbabykillal

+400 to what Noah said. The key word here is "average," NOT "surf geek." The majority of audience members wouldn't know a BC Rich from a vintage Jag.

Here's the thing to remember, though. Regardless of any gear or tone that the audience can or cannot hear, if YOU can tell the difference on stage and it inspires the live performance in a good way, it is a necessary component.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Counselors
Fiberglass Jungle Radio
Music Director, 2nd Surf Revival: North Sea Surf Radio

JONPAUL wrote:

Here's the thing to remember, though. Regardless of any
gear or tone that the audience can or cannot hear, if
YOU can tell the difference on stage and it inspires
the live performance in a good way, it is a necessary
component.

PERFECT point!!

Nothingsleft... pay no mind to the snark. Its just that we have about 10000000000millionbillion pedal versus tank forum threads and they have all been beat to death, and then kicked, and then resurected via lightning in frankensteins lab, then killed again. Big Razz

Oh, and your post isnt long. Stick around a while and you'll see what a LONG post is!

Last edited: Mar 01, 2012 17:38:24

I am average. As stated in the above posts I dont know the difference between this and that. For example...I saw Susan and the Surftones last night. Her guitar was dark (maybe matte black) the bass guitar was gold and the 2 organs were red. I am average so thats all I really cared about,,,,wait, the music was good !!

Comment of the day? Perhaps. But, it is NOT average to see Susan and the Surftones. Most people have never seen Susan and the Surftones. Sadly, most people have never even heard of them. Your taste in music is far above average.

Brainpop wrote:

I am average. As stated in the above posts I dont know
the difference between this and that. For example...I
saw Susan and the Surftones last night. Her guitar was
dark (maybe matte black) the bass guitar was gold and
the 2 organs were red. I am average so thats all I
really cared about,,,,wait, the music was good !!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

image

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Counselors
Fiberglass Jungle Radio
Music Director, 2nd Surf Revival: North Sea Surf Radio

that reminds my of when i proudly presented my new RI fender reverb unit to my gf. i was totaly excited cause to me it felt so much better than with the pedal. i asked her:"can you hear it dripping? can you hear that wet reverb?"

she replied:"its just normal reverb to me, cant belive you paid 700€ for that thing"

ouch...but i dont regret buying it, i just had to have one ;)

this is what the average person thinks when they hear/ see a surf band, "when are they going to start singing???"

http://dinosaurghost.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DinosaurGhostBand
https://www.facebook.com/BigRyanGraphicDesign
http://60cyclehumpodcast.tumblr.com/

JONPAUL wrote:

image

Awesome!

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Big_Ryan wrote:

this is what the average person thinks when they hear/
see a surf band, "when are they going to start
singing???"

Yes Exactly! Either that or when are they going to play Wipeout.

-Damon.

jdangerously57 wrote:

Yes Exactly! Either that or when are they going to
play Wipeout.

Only a fool would willingly suffer Wipeout.

JakeDobner wrote:

jdangerously57 wrote:

Yes Exactly! Either that or when are they going
to
play Wipeout.

Only a fool would willingly suffer Wipeout.

We would put a placard in front of the tip jar that said "Wipe Out $5". We still ended up playing it, but the pain was offset by some lettuce.

You're not drunk if you can put your socks on while standing.

jdangerously57 wrote:

Big_Ryan wrote:

this is what the average person thinks when they
hear/
see a surf band, "when are they going to start
singing???"

Yes Exactly! Either that or when are they going to
play Wipeout.

Exactly, or maybe... "When is this band gonna stop playing so I can talk to my friend" Big Grin

Truthfully, the average person doesn't care... plus, the pedal sounds just as good put you can't kick it. That might decrease your enjoyment but not the audience's. Honesly, I'm thinking of recording with the pedal just to see if any of the "experts" notice.

"The World Ain't Round, it's Square" - The Savages

Last edited: Mar 01, 2012 22:41:58

josheboy wrote:

Nothingsleft... pay no mind to the snark. Its just that
we have about 10000000000millionbillion pedal versus
tank forum threads and they have all been beat to
death, and then kicked, and then resurected via
lightning in frankensteins lab, then killed again. Big Razz

Oh, and your post isnt long. Stick around a while and
you'll see what a LONG post is!

Hey thanks. I really wasn't trying to beat a dead horse....I was just watching some youtube and saw the Lively Ones playing at a street fair. I couldn't help notice people walking behind them not paying any attention to the music,Shivers nailed it with his comment it was almost like it was getting in the way of their conversations. I know if I go to a street fair or any place with live music I'll stop and watch even if it's not my kind of music.

I just threw in the reverb comparison because that's what first came to mind. I didn't mean for it to be a this is better than this type of comment.

Its funny you should mention a street fair. Not long ago I saw the Eliminators at a street fair and they were using FRV-1 pedals. JON BLAIR himself was using one! So, I say if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. Plus it sounded fine, imo.

But like Norm (shivers13) says, you can't kick it! Well... I guess you could still kick it, but it might only make a popping sound and you'd just look really silly Big Razz

I don't see the audience paying much attention to specific stage equipment. If you capture the general SURF sound that's all that's importent. I think it's more technique than anything?

For the stage, a tank will surely give you a somewhat better bigger livelier Surf / Reverb tone, but the pedal is adequate imho.

For a $120 it makes a great backup if nothing else.

  • That's all I currently use btw, a Boss FRV1 or the amps onboard reverb.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Doug's Island Vibe Guitar Soirée

Last edited: Mar 02, 2012 11:11:56

Stokemon wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

jdangerously57 wrote:

Yes Exactly! Either that or when are they going
to
play Wipeout.

Only a fool would willingly suffer Wipeout.

We would put a placard in front of the tip jar that
said "Wipe Out $5". We still ended up playing it, but
the pain was offset by some lettuce.

Sometimes I wonder if bands are playing to hear themselves play or are they playing for the crowd that payed to see them????

I see read hear bands bitch all the time (not just here) about not making it "Big"... why do you think Frank, Sammy and Dino made so much lettuce...

They played/sang what the folks that payed wanted to hear.

rant ended

About the OP as a non band member if I get to hear Surf music I don't care if it's a Tank, onboard or pedal as long as its good Surf music.

"Maybe there aren't any surf bands; there's only surf music?" Tuck

Last edited: Mar 02, 2012 10:19:42

BeachBumScott wrote:

Stokemon wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

jdangerously57 wrote:

Yes Exactly! Either that or when are they
going
to
play Wipeout.

Only a fool would willingly suffer Wipeout.

We would put a placard in front of the tip jar that
said "Wipe Out $5". We still ended up playing it,
but
the pain was offset by some lettuce.

Sometimes I wonder if bands are playing to hear
themselves play or are they playing for the crowd that
payed to see them????

I see read hear bands bitch all the time (not just
here) about not making it "Big"... why do you think
Frank, Sammy and Dino made so much lettuce...

They played/sang what the folks that payed wanted to
hear.

rant ended

About the OP as a non band member if I get to hear Surf
music I don't care if it's a Tank, onboard or pedal as
long as its good Surf music.

Well, if everybody here wanted to maximise cash earnings and get more local recognition we surely wouldn't be playing Surf / Instro music.

It's a labor of love for us and frankly it's a tough sale to local venues. Once we get our foot in the door though most crowds really dig it and our format generally has a broad demographic appeal.

I've played other genres over the years including Classic Rock and I doubt if I'll ever return to that no matter what the clubs are offering. I was bored to death with Classic Rock 20 years ago.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Doug's Island Vibe Guitar Soirée

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next
Top