Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Madeira: Tribal Fires

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Thanks for the clarification and the update, Sean, very happy to hear it! And thanks to all the people on SG101 that have already bought it - we greatly appreciate it, and we hope it has lived up to - or even exceeded - your expectations. And thanks, Andrew, for getting it all the way out to Australia!

No worries, Jeff, Noel and Carol, we'll have plenty of copies with us for those big shows!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012 21:48:00

Ivan,

Great album! You guys are to be congratulated.

I added a review at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Tribal-Fires/dp/B007L4J2UC/ref=sr_shvl_album_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1332607373&sr=301-4

All the best,

Paul

Is there a way to buy+download this album in FLAC format?
I really want to have this, but I don't need the physical media, nor pay for shipping.

ColtsSurf wrote:

Great album! You guys are to be congratulated.
I added a review at Amazon

Paul, thank you VERY MUCH!! Greatly appreciate the enthusiastic review, and SPECIAL thanks for taking the time to post it on Amazon! (If anybody else wouldn't mind doing so - or posting it on iTunes - we would definitely be deeply grateful.)

DreadInBabylon wrote:

Is there a way to buy+download this album in FLAC format?
I really want to have this, but I don't need the physical media, nor pay for shipping.

Ariel, I don't think there are any lossless downloading option, sadly, but maybe Sean knows something I do not. We should probably look into that, thanks for bringing it up. (For whatever it's worth, the album is downoadable in mp3 or similar format on CD Baby, iTunes and Amazon now.)

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Oh I see. Well, you got my e-mail now, if you do have a lossless format to download in the near future, that'll be really great. If not, I'll order the CD then.
Just a shame about all this plastic, as I copy it to my PC anyway, look at the artwork once and then store it in the drawer forever.

Average music I can stand with high quality mp3's, great music - I really prefer not to.
For example, the latest Phantom Four record - I A/B'd the FLAC to the mp3's (320kb/s I think, best as can be) that was on their site. While it was not night and day, the music just has more presence in the lossless format. That, for me, translates directly to enjoyment. Madeira? Oh man, I need that in it's full glory.

As far as I know, none of our digital distributors have support for lossless downloads. I'll do some more research on it though. If it helps at all, we run sales all the time - the current one gets you 10% off any size order with coupon code TENDISC.

We occasionally run sales with bigger discounts or free shipping - to get news on sales, new releases, etc, it's best to sign up for our e-newsletter update (only sent monthly) on the Double Crown website (http://www.doublecrownrecords.com/ - the sign up form is on the right side of the page, towards the bottom).

You can also buy a copy from the band if you're lucky enough to see 'em - I'm sure they can cut you a deal, and obviously no shipping in that case.

I know Amazon, iTunes and others have our albums for less than the CD version, but unfortunately they're not lossless quality (still great for most people, but if you have high end gear I do understand wanting music you really treasure sounding the best it can).

I wrote about this extensively in another thread, and on the DC website, but I personally still like buying CD's - you can rip them in any format you want, and you also have the physical CD as a back up. I admit though, I'm drowning in my music collection (nice problem to have, I know!), and I'm looking to thin it out a bit, keeping just the most essential CD's as back ups. Essential to me may still mean hundreds, if not still thousands, of CD's, but I need to get some room back in my home office and storage space.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

(Not sure which Tribal Fires thread to post in)

Just a quick review, having listened to this album daily for the last month.
We have come to expect a certain level of quality from anything our friend Ivan is involved with; at this point he's had a fantastic 17 year public music career. From the first recordings with The Space Cossacks, to Tribal Fires, there hasn't been a misstep. The Madeira overcome the sophomore curse by tinkering with their focus ever so slightly as to keep the sound fresh. The jungle theme is a nice twist, emphasized by the album package, song titles and abundance of tom tattoos, but, really, the album could have been called "Warpath", or "Blitz!", and the result would have been the same. So what is the thing that keeps drawing back to this album?
IVAN-- WHY HAVE YOU BEEN HOLDING OUT ON US FOR SO LONG???!!!
The guitar work here is spectacular, I so love that you have thrown open the doors to playing "solos". Now when you think any song couldn't get any more ripping or get pushed any farther, the ceiling explodes. The sense of freedom is refreshing and bold.
That said, all the other elements are in place- well written and original songs (Patrick!!), pristine production, wonderful performances by talented and solid players (especially considering your geographical distances). Jonpaul's photos and the cover painting by Randy Odell are lush, I dig that you made a concept album. As I've told you, I wonder how many children will conceived to the sounds of "Twilight", one of the most romantic songs I've heard in years.
Believe me when I say, I can not wait for the next Madeira album!
--ferenc

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Ferenc, thank you so very much for such a nice review!

PolloGuitar wrote:

(Not sure which Tribal Fires thread to post in)

I think you picked correctly.

IVAN-- WHY HAVE YOU BEEN HOLDING OUT ON US FOR SO LONG???!!!
The guitar work here is spectacular, I so love that you have thrown open the doors to playing "solos". Now when you think any song couldn't get any more ripping or get pushed any farther, the ceiling explodes. The sense of freedom is refreshing and bold.

Smile That's awesome, thank you! i'm glad you're enjoying my few solos. It's easy to make them sound good when I just rip off Ritchie Blackmore... Twisted Evil BTW, I've done some more high-energy, quasi-'shredding' solos in the past: check out "The Defector" on Tsar Wars; "Sandstorm" and "Rogue Wave" on Sandstorm; and "Sahar" on Carpe Noctem. I try to throw solos into a few tracks on each album, inspired by Eddie & the Showmen's "Scratch", the Atlantics' "Stomping Time", a bunch of early Shadows ("The Savage", "Man of Mystery", "FBI", etc.), and DD's "Nitro" and "Night Rider" (the latter being one of my favorite all-time solos in any genre, just pure perfection, an ideal combination of melody and chops). Anyway, thanks for noticing!

As I've told you, I wonder how many children will conceived to the sounds of "Twilight", one of the most romantic songs I've heard in years.

As long as I don't get slapped by any paternity suits! Twisted Evil

Believe me when I say, I can not wait for the next Madeira album!

Thanks, but, but... this one just came out! Let us enjoy this one a bit first, before there's pressure to start thinking about the next one! Smile

Thanks again, Ferenc, greatly appreciate it.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012 10:00:03

PolloGuitar wrote:

The Madeira overcome the sophomore curse by tinkering with their focus ever so slightly as to keep the sound fresh.
--ferenc

I am sure I am reading this wrong, and Warren will probably point out how stupid I am.
But I always thought the Sophomore curse was in regards to a bands 2nd cd.
This is the bands 3rd full length, and there was a ep in there too.
So some could say this is the 4th cd by the Madeira.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012 18:10:45

Already posted it in the other praise thread, but this deserves at least one more bump:

What can I add, after all this praise.
That it's awesome? Many records are awesome. I don't wanna sound cliche. Maybe super awesome? My English is too limited, really, to describe the awesomeness of it.

It is very moving, an emotional rollercoaster. It ends too soon, but leaves just the right impact. Very mature musicianship, you can tell the band has been around, yet innovative and exciting. Bold may I say.
Just genius.
Will take a lot of listens to digest it, this is serious work.
Ivan plays so many notes Shock but all of them are the right ones. He reached the point where chops, style and expressiveness are all united to convey the message.
It's musically packed, not a boring moment, so many melodic and rhythmic ideas in such a short time.
Really really moving and passionate too, makes you wanna dance and cry and howl and start fires (and surf?).

Our humble rock star (who's so humble he says he's not humble Big Grin ) reaches new heights.
The rest of the band of course, do their part magnificently, as well as the (again) bold and punchy production. It hits you in the gut, love it.

Love the Baritone, the jungle drums, the theme, the way it evolves to the climax.
Those Chunka dripping bars in "The Ritual" just hit the skull, what a sound! After those piercing, emotional solos, it's a steady hypnotic trance of high energy Reverb. Like, "what you feel doesn't matter now boy, you've done your personal passage, it's ritual time now".

After listening to this album, one needs at least 1 hour of complete silence. Big Grin It's a sensory overload...

Thank you, hope you sell a lot and reach new crowds (as much as I want it to be our "secret", I feel really personal with it), this is the best rock music in the world at the moment.

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record (CD?), but I wanted to add my voice to all those who have complimented this new release from The Madeira.

For me, one of the challenges with the surf instrumental medium is the ability to write good original material with one foot firmly planted in the traditional history of the music while trying to push the genre’s boundaries. There are a few bands out there doing this, but only a handful (that I’m aware of) doing it in a truly creative sense, such as The Madeira.

I’m probably singing to the choir, but “Tribal Fires” raises the bar for the rest of us who fancy ourselves as passable surf instrumentalists. When we talk about a CD such as this one in such glowing terms, even non-musicians should know that something’s up in the “Wow” department.

So, I ditto everything that’s been said about this CD here. Excellent band, great record. Check it out.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Late to the party, but I LOVE it!

Thanks to the Madeira! Quite the generous gift to us all.

I've had this album a while, and I still cant listen to The Ritual just once. I always click that back button for more of it. The whole album is amazing, but The Ritual is one of my new favorite songs. Love it.

I know that all surf bands can't all be amazing like the Maderia and a few other bands that leave us awestruck.

But it's also not a bad thing to listen to this cd and aspire to get closer to this level of awesomeness.

Grab this cd, study, and raise the bar people.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012 12:04:46

Well, I wish I knew more ways of saying thank you and expressing my gratitude for all your wonderful comments, since it seems that I'm just repeating myself. But myself and the whole band really do deeply appreciate it, thank you so very much! Especially to John Blair whose comments simply blew me away. Thank you, John!!!! We were confident we made a good CD, but I honestly did not expect all this. You've all made my last two months!!! Smile SG101!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

bigtikidude wrote:

I know that all surf bands can't all be amazing like the Maderia and a few other bands that leave us awestruck.

But it's also not a bad thing to listen to this cd and aspire to get closer to this level of awesomeness.

Grab this cd, study, and raise the bar people.

My sentiments exactly Jeff. I have no qualms with giving Ivan et.al. credit for inspiring me with the T-men. Along with a few other notables (one who has since joined the band Smile )

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I recently opened up an RFB with the first track of this album, which I really enjoyed right out of the gate. I also dug the obvious Shadows-type material. Lastly, I was thankful it didn't remind me of Iron Maiden.

Rimshot

Looking forward to having this in the irregular rotation.

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

Thanks, Danny, it's a huge honor to be able to claim a bit of the credit for the creation of the amazing Tomorrow Men!

And thanks Whorehay for playing Tribal Fury - but really? It didn't remind you of Maiden? Then I failed. Sad

"Tribal Fires" was the featured album on the great Spanish public radio surf show El Sotano (The Basement) on Tuesday!! Here's the link to its website, where you can also listen to the entire hour-long streamed show (we're featured in the first 15 minutes only.

Here's the translated bit in the description of the show:

The album featured today is the next installment of The Madeira, Indianapolis band led by guitarist Ivan Pongracic, passionate encyclopedic surf scene today. Tribal Fires is by far the best album of the genre that we've found this 2012. An instrumental and conceptual trip into the jungle dark, ultra-high passages, enigmatic atmospheres and melodies absolutely captivating as you will see in Tribal Fury, Twilight or Mar Vista.

I wish I could understand Spanish!! Seems like the DJ's saying some really nice things about the album and the band! Smile

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012 18:45:28

IvanP wrote:

"Tribal Fires" was the featured album on the great Spanish public radio surf show El Sotano (The Basement) on Tuesday!! Here's the link to its website, where you can also listen to the entire hour-long streamed show (we're featured in the first 15 minutes only.

Here's the translated bit in the description of the show:

The album featured today is the next installment of The Madeira, Indianapolis band led by guitarist Ivan Pongracic, passionate encyclopedic surf scene today. Tribal Fires is by far the best album of the genre that we've found this 2012. An instrumental and conceptual trip into the jungle dark, ultra-high passages, enigmatic atmospheres and melodies absolutely captivating as you will see in Tribal Fury, Twilight or Mar Vista.

I finally got a translation of what DJ Diego RJ said in between playing Tribal Fury, Twilight, and Mar Vista. Really nice stuff! I hope nobody minds me sharing it:

"Tribal Fury" is the spectacular beginning to Tribal Fire, the third album by The Madeira, out of Indianapolis, led by one of most active, respected and deeply involved figures in surf music, the guitarist Ivan Pongracic. A passionate student of the genre, Pongracic founded the galactic surf group Space Cossacks in the '90s . In his first album with the Madeira, Sandstorm, he turned to desert landscapes. In his second album, Carpe Noctem, he created a dark, mysterious atmosphere, but always with a foot in the classic surf sound. We look for Pongracic's articles published in The Continental magazine and on the web on Surf Guitar 101.

Tribal Fire ranks among the best albums of its kind that have appeared in 2012. The song "Tribal Fury" pays homage to Dick Dale, both in its atomic sound and its title which echoes Dale's "Tribal Thunder". Here is "Twilight," a 24-carat melody, with a sound that winks - with great respect - at the great Shadows.

Like earlier albums, Tribal Fire is thematic and conceptual. If on Sandstorm there were references to the desert, here the Madeira takes us into the jungle. The song titles allude to a mysterious journey through Central Africa. But do not expect to find 'exotic' sounds. Rather, the music is 100% surf instrumental, with a great variety of sound, impeccable riffs and solos. They pay homage to Ernesto Lecuona in a tremendous version of "Jungle Drums", and once more honor the Australian surf pioneers, the Atlantics, playing their song "Giant". But all other compositions are by Pongracic and his six-string partner Patrick O'Connor.

Tribal Fire is the great surf album of 2012. It's out on the Double Crown label. If you like instrumental surf and musical surprises, seek it out. Here is one of the surprises you will find there: "Mar Vista".

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: May 16, 2012 17:18:59

IvanP wrote:

I finally got a translation of what DJ Diego RJ said in between playing Tribal Fury, Twilight, and Mar Vista. Really nice stuff! I hope nobody minds me sharing it:

_Like earlier albums, Tribal Fire is thematic and conceptual. If on Sandstorm there were references to the desert, here the Madeira takes us into the jungle. The song titles allude to a mysterious journey through Central Africa. But do not expect to find 'exotic' sounds. Rather, the music is 100% surf instrumental, with a great variety of sound,

Hmmmmm?
interesting, I think that there is many parts of the Album that are very "Exotic" if not down right "Exotica(music)" inspired.
But people get different things from music,
unless its the translation.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next