Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink I'm Having Shoulder Surgery in March

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Some private questions from people here and on FB prompt me to post an update about how I'm doing. Coming up on four weeks since the operation. Physical Therapy has good and bad days, but always feels like they're trying to rip out my arm. No danger and necessary if I'm to get as much functionality back as possible. I stretch everything off and on all day long, every day. Still am not allowed to hold anything with my left hand, or lift my left arm; I have to lift it up with my right hand, but I'll be starting to strengthen the bicep in two or three weeks. I can't yet reach out to where a guitar neck would be, but I'm getting closer. I have no idea how long it will be before I can hold a guitar again, even just sitting down, let alone pick up one in my left hand and hold it up while putting the strap over my head.

All the keyboard gear got here yesterday, and my teacher is coming over this evening to help me unpack it and set it up so I can FINALLY get started. I thought I'd be doing this two weeks ago, but some stuff was back-ordered and I really wasn't ready anyway. Now I'm ready and rarin' to go.

I want to thank EVERYONE here for all your encouragement; you mean more to me than I can express. Ivan was right; it has been especially frustrating to have to stop playing guitar at precisely the moment when it was all starting to click and I was finally preparing to play out (in front of admittedly friendly and willing audiences) and was sounding pretty good. I feel especially bad about putting down the Jazzmaster, but I WILL play that again, and in front of audiences. I AM NOT disheartened; more like more determined than ever to get back to it and make a competent surf guitarist of myself.

I can't wait to see everyone down in Chapel Hill in May. And, I've decided that we're going to have to plan a Cali vacation around an SG101 Convention in a couple of years. Can't be this or next year; wish it could.

That's all for now, but keep those cards and letter comin' Big Grin and I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart. And, will someone PLEASE help Paul Johnson setup a live video-streaming rig so I can take guitar lessons from him out here in the East?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Apr 04, 2012 11:32:24

Glad to hear your doing ok Noel! I know how the shoulder bit feels, I had surgery on my left shoulder (pins were put in to keep it from ever dislocating again, this after it dislocated too many times to count over about a 4 year period) about 8 years ago, and it's a long and painful road to recovery, but in the long run is of course worth it.

-Damon.

You'll be back with a vengeance Noel, I just know that.
With your character, taking up all this music making business with such enthusiasm, 1315 posts last year alone Big Grin , there's no stopping you.
Just take your time as necessary (I'm sure you will) to heal. There's a reason for this break.
Best.

1315 posts in one year? I need a hobby. Oh, wait ... Laughing

DreadInBabylon wrote:

... 1315 posts last year alone Big Grin ...

Noel, Just be careful you don't get carpal tunnel from posting here! Big Grin

Glad to hear you're improving.

If I've seemed frustrated lately, it's because I am. I've had to miss several PT sessions and the following setbacks are ... unpleasant. On top of losing weeks getting my keyboard set up, I've only had one lesson instead of the eight I was expecting by now. Argh!

But, my vertical rotation (accompanied by much yelling) reached 145 degrees last Thursday after spending a week stuck at 120 after missing a previous session. Since I had to miss this past Saturday though, today should be interesting. Horizontal rotation, like for playing guitar, is nowhere near that far. But I can place my left hand on the keyboard and have about an octave range to the outside.

Learning to sight read music is as hard as I remember it. I'm not going to give up this time!

I got to see The Ventures but had to miss The West Samoa Surf League.

I've been grumpy but life is good. Thanks for understanding, and the encouragement

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012 11:49:47

Noel, hang in there. It will get better soon. Just keep having a great attitude. It could be worse.

I achieved two major milestones this morning. I put on my own socks! You have no idea what a big deal this is. And, I can now cross my left arm in front of my chest far enough to take off and put on a T-shirt the normal way. I'm still not allowed to (I actually can't yet) lift anything heavy with my left arm, but we've started with 1-pound weights. To show how weak it is, I can just lift my left arm to parallel to the ground empty-handed, but with a 1-pound weight, I can't lift it past 25 degrees. YET!

Lots of scar tissue keeps forming over the place where the bicep is screwed to the bone that needs constant breaking up. Yes, it hurts when they hold me down and pull real hard. A LOT. Necessary though. I yell loud enough to scare the little old ladies.

I haven't tried to play guitar yet, since I can't really control anything that heavy or cumbersome.

I have to learn the Circles of 5'ths and 4'ths. This is why I quit learning music 50 years ago. I'm not quitting now. Slow going. Too bad I don't have 50 years ahead of me this time around. Hey, I'd be really good by 110 years old. Big Grin

I may not be able to play at the Rumble Jam (but I haven't given up) at the Instro Summit in May, but at least I'll be wearing socks. Trust me. That is a good thing.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012 11:17:26

When I "played" the Galaxy 4 during the Rumble Jam, well the guitar had 9 nickle rounds on it. It had been 2 months since surgery. Not uncomfortable for a few minutes. Ha! My finger tips are now soft and tender from lack of use. I just spent 15 minutes on my Strat that has 11 flats. Ouch! I think I have something around here with 10's on it. All my other guitars have 12's or 13's. Laughing

It also hurt a lot to tune the thing.

Progress! Big Grin

Last edited: May 23, 2012 18:24:51

9's today, 13's tomorrow! Thumbs Up

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7