Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink I'm Having Shoulder Surgery in March

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Sorry you're having shoulder issues. It's tuff to practice with pain. No knowledge here of these things. But I do have a suggestion...... under NO circumstances play a Les Paul standing up !!!!! Big Grin

Good luck with the surgery!

Too late! One of those (a lawsuit copy anyway) was my first electric guitar. I always wanted one. Played it sitting down at the music store. Bought it. Always practiced standing up back then. THEN I discovered I really wanted to be a surf guitarist! LOL. I don't play it at all now. My bass is heavy enough, but I practice sitting these days. My bad left shoulder makes all practice painful. I just finished about twenty minutes on bass with Peter Gunn and Wipeout. Yikes! Hurts from shoulder to forearm.

I'm looking forward to everything I'll accomplish before I can start back on guitar, but I'm REALLY looking forward to when I can without all these problems.

vintagesurfdude wrote:

Sorry you're having shoulder issues. It's tuff to
practice with pain. No knowledge here of these things.
But I do have a suggestion...... under NO circumstances
play a Les Paul standing up !!!!! Big Grin

Good luck with the surgery!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

By all means see a doctor. You don't know how much trouble you can cause until you know what's really wrong. Maybe nothing more than a strained muscle or pinched nerve that needs some rest. Maybe more than that. I know three guitarists who had to switch to a bottleneck slide after damaging their fingers.

morphball wrote:

Sorry about the shoulder problems, Noel, but I admire
your optimism in continuing your studies! I understand
a bodies' limitations to lesser degree, I often have my
fingers in a sling from intense pain in the first
digit, which is pretty consistent with CTS (I currently
have my left forefinger in one now; I was just messing
around with the Ventures version of Caravan the other
night and had to stop). The wife is forcing me to go to
the doc in case it's rheumatoid arthritis or something.
Sucks cause I'm 40, so I'm wondering if it will get
worse. Anyway man, hope the problem gets knocked out,
and that you're back playing your beautiful Jazzmaster
soon!

Does anyone think this might work for me?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/casio-wk-225-76-key-portable-keyboard

Good luck with the operation, Noel. Good for you on making the most out of the situation, seeing this not as a holdback, but an opportunity. This is true wisdom at work.

As for keyboard, maybe you should decide how you wanna use it - stand alone or with PC software (or both). If going with the latter, I'd choose something that is simplest, but has a great touch/feel (full weighted keys). What are you going to connect it to (Audio out)?
Second the Reason, it's a super fun program. If you want more advanced sounds, including some huge realistic sample banks, NI Kontakt is a standard.
I Also heard good things about the higher-end M-Audio keyboards.

BTW, how do you like your Space-Echo?

Noel, I really wish You all the very best w/this issue. I was "rear-ended" in Dec '69 while "stationary" & the Impala that hit me was doing 45 mph. It seriously hurt me. (It got me a "4F" draft classiification, for those who remember those years). I opted for "no surgery" & was told I'd have the pain for "the remainder of life". I was put thru intense chiropractic manipulation for 4 mos. & then did much walking & exercise. I caddied @ a golf course for a few years as well. The pain is still with me & worsens each year but I get around just fine. I don't know of the severity of your situation, but if chiropractic is something you could look into, I would seriously consider it. I opted out of surgery because, in my case, it was a "risque" situation. Now I know that there is a LOT to be said for chiropractic & You may wish to consider it. Good Luck, whatever You decide to do.

I'm sorry about what happened to you. I didn't want surgery either, but the problems don't just cause pain. I'm losing range of motion and rotation, strength and mobility.

The damage is way beyond chiropractic. The muscles are starting to shred where they attach to bone, and are experiencing some tissue degradation. There are bone spurs and a couple of other issues that attention. My choice is to let things continue to deteriorate until my shoulders are unserviceable, or have surgery.

It's essentially the same surgery that Schwartenegger and Stalone just had after finishing The Expendables 2. How cool is that?

jonfender wrote:

Noel, I really wish You all the very best w/this
issue. I was "rear-ended" in Dec '69 while
"stationary" & the Impala that hit me was doing 45 mph.
It seriously hurt me. (It got me a "4F" draft
classiification, for those who remember those years).
I opted for "no surgery" & was told I'd have the pain
for "the remainder of life". I was put thru intense
chiropractic manipulation for 4 mos. & then did much
walking & exercise. I caddied @ a golf course for a
few years as well. The pain is still with me & worsens
each year but I get around just fine. I don't know of
the severity of your situation, but if chiropractic is
something you could look into, I would seriously
consider it. I opted out of surgery because, in my
case, it was a "risque" situation. Now I know that
there is a LOT to be said for chiropractic & You may
wish to consider it. Good Luck, whatever You decide
to do.

I could use just about anything to learn to sight read and play piano. But I also want to start composing and putting together arrangements, looking forward to being able to add the guitar parts later. So connecting to a PC is good. I don't know if all I want is a keybord that plugs into my PC that is loaded with software to create backing tracks, composition, recording and mixing, or get a keyboard like the Casio and then just add composition and mixing software on my PC.

DreadInBabylon wrote:

Good luck with the operation, Noel. Good for you on
making the most out of the situation, seeing this not
as a holdback, but an opportunity. This is true wisdom
at work.

As for keyboard, maybe you should decide how you wanna
use it - stand alone or with PC software (or both). If
going with the latter, I'd choose something that is
simplest, but has a great touch/feel (full weighted
keys). What are you going to connect it to (Audio out)?
Second the Reason, it's a super fun program. If you
want more advanced sounds, including some huge
realistic sample banks, NI Kontakt is a standard.
I Also heard good things about the higher-end M-Audio
keyboards.

BTW, how do you like your Space-Echo?

And, I love the Space Echo. I haven't figured it all out yet, but I instantly dialed in a great Los Twang! Marvels-like tone with it. I have no idea how to do sound-on-sound with it yet, and it looks like I'll have to get back to it a lot later. But I'm not having any noise or tone issues with it. I'm definitely glad I got it.

Depending on your choice, your shopping list may grow...
Just some thoughts:

Thing is with stand alone KBD, you just turn in on and play, no fuss. Downside may be that ones with really great sounds may be expensive. After playing for a while, you'll want them (same as with guitars actually).

You can achieve those great sounds with much more flexibility with a KBD-PC combo, but that means also having a decent sound card, decent monitors, and a strong enough computer to run it all with low latency. Downside may be, fiddling around with a mouse when all you want to do is play a tune may be cumbersome.

Well, if you plan to record your guitar and start mixing stuff, you'll go that path anyway. So really, any KBD with MIDI or USB will work, I suggest something much simpler then that Casio. But it should feel good to you, and have quality keys, I don't know anyway you can test that but physically.

For software, Reason is good and simple and quite fun to start with. For more deep serious work, IMO, nothing beats Reaper (downloadable version is a full program, just a 5sec nag after a month's use). It's a full on DAW, with everything you will ever need, and is cheap, and the online community is awesome, only second to, well, this community here.

Glad you like the Space Echo, it's a big mother, isn't it... Big Razz
I don't think you can achieve sound-on-sound with it, at least not easily. It doesn't have a looper function, as far as I managed to read about it.
One trick may be getting an AB box, playing a phrase into the Echo (set to maximum repeats), switching over to the other channel and playing over it. Of course, this setup needs 2 outputs as well - to 2 different amps or 2 channels on the same amp, or a Y box to combine the repeated and played signals.
But because it's a tape emulation, the repeats won't stay pristine for long, so it's not the best application for this pedal, IMHO.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012 13:45:55

Good luck Noel.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Noel, I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Well if it isn't one thing after another and blow me, I'm having a problem with my left shoulder too Cry The hospital did an ultrasound scan a couple of weeks ago and the doctor gave me a cortisone injection, still not right. We'll see.

That Casio WK-225 looks good if you want it for the instructional method, otherwise I would recommend the Casio CTK-7000 for the combo organ sounds. I have a Casio CTK-691 now discontinued but it has 50 drawbar organ tones and 8 drawbars to customise your own sound, same as the CTK-7000. If cash is tight you could keep your eyes open for a used CTK-691, they go for a hundred bucks secondhand. If mine is anything to go by they are pretty indestructible. The preset organ sounds in the Casio are very good for the old school combo organ tones like the Farfisa/Vox/Wurlitzer so long as you turn off the ridiculous DSP effects.

Anyhoo, here's wishing you best of luck with the surgery. I had a bellyful of surgery last year but I don't regret it now one bit.

Good luck with everything, Noel.

Regarding keyboards, my own prejudice in these matters is to get everything with at least regular DIN-midi. That way, you can connect other modules later, whether for sound or control.

RK

Again, thanks to everyone for your concern and best wishes. I'm getting a date and time later today. The operation involves severing the muscles from the bones, cleaning up the ends and attachment locations, wrapping the muscles over top of the bones past where they normally attach, and screwing them in there. Sort of like with wrap-around tail pieces. It's supposed to be more secure with old fogeys like me. The resulting shorter effective length of the muscles will make for interesting therapy.

Later I'm going to have to case my guitars, disconnect everything, wrap up my cables, cover my amps and reverb, and remove all the batteries form my pedals and box them up. Nuts. It'll probably be over a year before they come out again. More nuts.

Still, if I come out of all this sight-reading music, playing keyboard a bit, and able to compose and arrange tunes as I intend, it will be a very useful (if uncomfortable) hiatus. My wife (whose name is Barbara) tells everyone I don't do anything in half-measures; I'm always all-in. Somewhere my dad is laughing at me. He was right again!

Thursday, March 8. The sooner I'm put back together, the sooner I'll be in PT and driving. Gotta be ready to come to the Instro Summit 2 months later. Not to mention playing piano.

I did ask the doctor if I could play piano after the operation. He said yes, and I said good, because I can't now. Big Grin

You may want to use some of those pedals with your keyboard.

RK

My initial plan was just to use it to help me learn sight-reading, theory, harmony and composition. Then it occured to me I could use to start composing some surf music and learn how to record my own backing tracks and how to mix them while I get ready to start playing guitar again. As I will have almost nothing else to do for long periods (except listen to lots of surf music) I want to see how much I can accomplish.

I hadn't thought of it, but now that you mention it, I'm thinking the pedal I'll use the most with whatever keyboard I buy will be my Space Echo. How does a keyboard sound playing through an outboard reverb tank?

RK wrote:

You may want to use some of those pedals with your
keyboard.

Noel wrote:

I hadn't thought of it, but now that you mention it,
I'm thinking the pedal I'll use the most with whatever
keyboard I buy will be my Space Echo. How does a
keyboard sound playing through an outboard reverb
tank?

You know, even though I have a sound module set up to allow me to easily route it through my reverb, I don't think I've tried it much. I will tonight, though!

The attached video should give you an idea of how it might sound. Whatever you do, don't be seduced by the pure tones, multitudinous knobs, or shiny faceplates and blinking lights of modular synthesizers.

RK

Good luck with the surgery Noel. I wish you a fast recovery. And come back with some top chart songs!!! Guitar

https://lospipelines.es/
Find us on Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, and all other music platforms.
https://www.youtube.com/@LosPipelines
https://www.instagram.com/los_pipelines/?next=%2F
Los Pipelines - Facebook

Noel wrote:

How does a keyboard sound playing through an outboard reverb?

You'll be putting the tank back where it came from...
According to the legend, that's how it all started, isn't it? (Dick Dale + Hammond).
Our prayers are with you Noel.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next