Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink RICHIE PODOLOR tribute!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Right on on all the above about Pipeline, Norm! I've been subscribed to them for many years, and they never disappoint. A highly informative zine!

shivers13 wrote:

BTW, The Surfaris recorded a rippin' version of Samoa with awesome Polynesian-syle drumming by Ron Wilson. You can find it on Wipe Out!: The Best of The Surfaris.

It's actually on the follow-up CD, Norm, "Surfaris Stomp". But yes, good call, I forgot about that. They definitely changed it quite a bit for their version - it really sounds like the Surfaris!

Speaking of speeding it up, check out the TomorrowMen's fast ska-surf version of The Quiet Surf, with Ferenc on lead - very cool!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Whoops, yeah. I was just listening to those and switched up the CD cases. I wanted to post The Surfaris doing Samoa but I couldn't find it on YouTube. Love Ron Wilson's drumming on that.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

First time poster. Howdy to all.

Anyone know where to listen to Richie (Allen) Podolor's "Blue Holiday"? It was the flip of Goochy Bamba on ERA records from 1961. Thanks.

Just got the issue of Pipeline featuring Richie. Very fast shipping from the UK! Great article. I wish it was longer with more stuff on the sixties and a longer discography but still quite excellent.

It does mention his work on the Daywins single and lots of other great tidbits like he engineered on Skaterdater and Wild Angels tracks, and Monkees tracks.

Another interesting tidbit is Richie wrote, produced, and played on The Renegades' "Charge" and "Geronimo" that were used in the film GHOST OF DRAGSTRIP HOLLOW. Those songs are credited as produced by Kim Fowley and written by Nik Venet. Apparently Kim Fowley was a slippery charachter even back in '59 and he licensed the songs to American International and took full credit along with Venet. Ouch!

Check out Charge and Geronimo by The Renegades...

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Last edited: Mar 06, 2012 09:17:42

shivers13 wrote:

Just got the issue of Pipeline featuring Richie. Great article. I wish it was longer with more stuff on the sixties and a longer discography but still quite excellent.

I've been meaning to order Stephen McParland's two books SOUND WAVES AND TRACTION Surf And Hot-Rod Studio Groups Of The ‘60s for quite some time now. Volume 1 has a whole chapter devoted to Richie Podolor's surf and hot rod period.

Book description:

This 250 page glossy covered book contains seven chapters, each devoted to particular individuals and the studio groups they were involved with. In this volume you will find complete/relevant biographies and discographies on RICHIE PODOLOR/RICHIE ALLEN, PETE ANDERS & VINI PONCIA, CAROL CONNORS, THE FROGMEN, THE HONDELLS, THE HONEYS and TERRY MELCHER & BRUCE JOHNSTON. Also included are six pages of glossy photos and an exhaustive index.

http://www.garyusher.com/cmusic.html

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Last edited: Mar 09, 2012 07:06:00

This may be of some interest: I have an album by Vincente Gomez/Richard Podolor called "TOROS: Suite for Two Guitars". It is on the DECCA "rainbow colors" label from the early 60s's & has a bull on the cover (w/a smaller bull pictures inserted thru the middle (up & down) of cover). It features classical flamenco type guitar w/narration & vocals. (Somewhat of an early "concept" record of the "bull culture"). It was engineered by Bill Cooper & recorded at American Recording Studios. It shows off the classical style of Richie Podolor really well. It is available @ various record/vinyl sources on the net. Thought you'd like ta' know.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012 09:35:56

I just received and read Pipeline # 88 with the Richie Podolor article, and I highly recommend it. There's 17 pages on in-depth info. One problem: they did not cover the Chocolate Watchbamd in the article, which to me is some of Richie's best and more important work. But pretty much everything else is here, from the pre-surf days up through Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf and the Three Dog Night, and beyond. Tons of interesting information. I got my issue from Double Crown. Get 'em while you can.

Bob

Here is Monsters From Mars track " Put It On" http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.archive.org%2Fdownload%2F2004ASpaceOdyssey%2F11putiton2.mp3&h=HAQFWQCAcAQHXV6Z4AAOZQ2jA5IjfP0TndHxfVEi1KykCeQ
They sent it to me/Facebook back in Feb but I just now noticed it.Better late than never I guess. This freakin' rocks!

Reverb, It's A Way Of Life!

I was asked to post this on this forum, but I see somebody has already done so:
http://ia600500.us.archive.org/11/items/2004ASpaceOdyssey/11putiton2.mp3

I apologize for how stupid this song is!

Monsters From Mars
http://monstersfrommars.com

How about reviving this thread in an attempt to find and make available the remaining pieces of the Podolor tribute comp?

Once again, here's the master list:

Disc 1)
1 - John Blair - Free Fall (2:44)
2 - The Eliminators - Midnight Run (3:17)
3 - The Vara-Tones - Surf Man (3:13)
4 - The Mach IV - Honda Beach Party (2:03)
5 - The Bitch Boys - Not So Quiet (3:44)
6 - The Fabulous Planktones - Footstomp USA (1:55)
7 - The Glasgow Tiki Shakers - Lonely Surfer (2:14)
8 - Les Baronics - Comin' Back to You (2:35)
9 - The Nematoads - Untitled #4 (1:43)
10 - Urban Surf Kings - The Quiet Surf (2:01)
11 - The Cocktail Preachers - Haulin' Honda (2:55)
12 - The Diamondheads - Balboa Island (1:50)
13 - The Red Giants - Untitled #3 (2:44)
14 - 3 Balls Of Fire - Untitled #5 (2:10)
15 - The Berzerkers - Ridin' The Woodie (2:06)
16 - The Pyronauts - Weird Wolf (3:26)
17 - The Aqua Velvets - The Rising Surf (3:56)
18 - Paul Johnson - Stranger From Durango (2:28)
19 - The Surf-Liners - A Touch Of Blue (2:37)
20 - The Lava Rats - Inspiration (2:52)
21 - The Royaltones - Gridiron Goodie (2:14)
22 - The Supertones - The Last Walk (3:33)
Disc 2
1 - The Chocolate Watchband - Expo 2000 (3:24)
2 - Pollo Del Mar - Dark Side Of The Mushroom (3:51)
3 - The Surf Kings - Casbah (2:12)
4 - The Astroglides - And Then There Were Drums (1:59)
5 - The Waistcoats - Teen Beat (1:59)
6 - Surf Report - Get Up And Go (1:44)
7 - Shig 33 - Get With It (2:41)
8 - The Retroliners - Alexis (2:31)
9 - Estrume'n'tal - Ram Charger (1:53)
10 - CHUM - Redondo Beach (2:40)
11 - Monsters From Mars - Put It On (1:36)
12 - The Royal Kings - T-Roadster (2:30)
13 - The Surfites - Black Boots and Bikes (3:00)
14 - The Atomic Mosquitos - Coffin Nails (2:26)
15 - The Dynotones - Ground Swell (2:53)
16 - The Moby Dicks - Undercurrent (3:20)
17 - Breakfastime - Untitled #1 (2:21)
18 - The Hypnotic IV - Shake Rattle Rot (2:46)
19 - The Bradipos IV - Room 304 (3:31)
20 - The Penetrators - Midnight Run (2:02)

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

I'd love a copy of this.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I second that bump John Paul! Viva Richie Polodor! Seeing how this comp/tribute will never see the light of day in stores maybe just a SG101 exclusive for the real fans of his music.

I'd like to add The TomorrowMen covering Voodoo Juice if that comp ever gets made.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Danny,
That would be cool,
I am really surprised that a great song like Voodoo Juice wasn't picked to be covered by somebody for the tribute before.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

So, here's what's in:
Paul Johnson: Stranger From Durango
The Red Giants: Untitled #3
The Bradipos IV: Room 304
The Pyronauts: Weird Wolf
The Cocktail Preachers: Haulin' Honda
Shig 33: Get With It
The Mach IV: Honda Beach Party
Pollo Del Mar: Dark Side of the Mushroom
Atomic Mosquitos: Coffin Nails
The Royal Kings: T-Roadster

Am I missing any?

Anyone else feel like helping to get the word out? Email band contacts you know?

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis

You missed Monsters From Mars -Put It On { see above part of page]

Doh! Ha, figures--missed the most obvious post! Thanks, Brandonio! BTW, I wished we had more time to talk in person at this year's Tiki Oasis, but it was cool to share seeing Los Venturas at the car show together!
OK, so that's 11 out of 42. Surely we can squeeze a few more out of people? Anyone...Bueller? Bueller?

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis

Found the file last week:

The Astroglides - And Then There Were Drums, read disclaimer on page 3 Smile

http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/30589358/file.html

Ran

The Scimitars

Spent most of Sunday afternoon with an attached iPod and had The Ghouls and The Hondells playlist on constant repeat. Just the good instrumental tracks, of course, but man, it was awesome. The songs and production are so outstanding. I'd still put Haulin' Honda and Black Boots and Bikes as my top two favorite tracks, but VooDoo Juice is easily moving up the charts with a bullet and the wide stereo mixes, layered sounds and cool guitar melodies of Dracula's Theme, Coffin Nails and Weird Wolf surely make repeated listens not boring. I think these Podolor and Usher guys are onto something!

Anyway, I've got to look into some of Podolor's other stuff. Anyone care to give their favorite 2 or 3 Richie "pseudonym" tracks.

Twisted Evil > Angel

Sounds like a pretty excellent set list you had spinnin', Joe!

For me, as "Richie Allen and the Pacific Surfers", I'd say (in no specific order):

Ground Swell / Tidal Wave (same song - it's Ground Swell on the 1st record, The Rising Surf, and Tidal Wave on the 2nd, Surfer's Slide). Warning: Gnarly SAX!

Surfer's Slide - Real catchy, maybe Northwestern / Rock-n-Roll vibe than surf, but so what! I don't recall making the connection initially, or hearing anyone else make it, but if you dig this one - you HAVE to check out Benny's work as The Beechwoods - Beechwood Beat.

And of course, The Quiet Surf.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next