Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Sierra Surf Music Camp: Memorial Day Weekend 2012

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Hey everyone! Here's a little info on something Dusty and I have been working on. We are super stoked to be doing this. We are trying something new here, so any and all ideas are greatly appreciated! Please post your thoughts and comments. If you are interested in attending please let us know.

Announcing the Inaugural Session May 25 - 28, 2012

Sierra Surf Music Camp is being created with the idea of spending a weekend with friends,family, and community in the study and appreciation of California’s indigenous folk music – Surf! We wish to bridge the gap between professional and amateur musicians bringing the founders of the genre together with folks just beginning to discover it in a fun and friendly setting.

Classes Offered: Individual and Group Lessons (Guitar, Bass and Drums) Seminars on Songwriting, Recording, Production, Performance, Technique, Gear Maintenance, Sound Modification, Surf Music History and much more!

Instructors include: Paul Johnson, John Blair, Dusty Watson, Ron Eglit, Paul Beatie, Ferenc Dobronyi, Bob Bitchin', Brett Cole, Tim Stephenson and more to be announced!

Daily Activities: Early morning Exercise and Stretching designed for musicians, Acoustic Breakfast Campsite, Hiking, Gold Mine Tours, Surf Art with Jim Lee, Softball, Volleyball, Horseshoes, Fishing, and Nightly Campfire Stories!

Command Performances: The Surf Beat Allstars (featuring John Blair, Dusty Watson, Ron Eglit), The Pyronauts, Paul Johnson and friends.

Tom Duncun from Spectral Media will be premiering a clip from the anticipated surf music film, Sound of the Surf.

The Sierra Surf Music Camp is located in the lush hills of Northern California’s Gold Country. Price includes lodging and meals. Campsites also available.

Sierra Surf Music Camp
Memorial Day Weekend 2012
Donner Mine Camp – Nevada City, CA
Friday through Monday (May 25th-28th)
Cost: $250 per student, $400 per couple, 15% discount if registered before April 15th, 2012
www.sierrasurfcamp.org

Wow, this is fantastic! Good luck!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I am very excited to be taking part of this long weekend of surf music. I have visited the camp facilities and they are absolutely beautiful, and the way the weather is this year it should be dry and crisp in the Sierra Foothills. The location is an old mining camp in the middle of dense forest, with bunkhouses and camping areas next to the creek. There's a big field for activities, a huge campfire area and lots of fresh air. The camp is now dedicated for use as a music camps and hosts mostly summer programs.

As Paul and Dusty have explained to me, their intention is to start a program to help amateur musicians interested in surf music take their craft to higher levels by exposing them to veterans who can tell their stories (informally) and pass on wisdom, music lessons, gear choices, road tales, and history. For instance, if you liked Paul Johnson's post about the birth of surf music, here's an unbelievably intimate chance to hear it straight from the source, and get to ask questions.

I think I will be leading two classes, one on songwriting and another on how to take your music from finished song, through recording, production and promotion of a CD.

The weekend will be a blast. A great reason to come to Northern California, no matter where you live.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Excellent!
I wonder if Paul Johnson like his marshmallows charcoal-burnt or just toasty-browned?
This sounds like a total Sierra blast!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

This is AMAZING!!! Huge kudos to all involved! May it be a huge success!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

notice how they offer a discount BEFORE April 15th...get those tax returns in early!

Brian wrote:

Oh dear God this!!!!!!

(if I actually HAD money, that is)

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

What a great idea!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Drool
Wow, what a great weekend that would be! Best wishes to all involved; I hope it's a big success.

https://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=9353f9155b5ff32e14c998495fd00da4&#!/rich.derksen.7

We are very excited about the response we've received so far! I did want to mention that really the goal of the weekend is to get together and have FUN! Fun playing music, fun talking about music, and fun camping together. It's open to the seasoned musician as well as the the ultimate beginner.

The long term goal is to start a non-profit organization that will help preserve and promote surf music, much in the way this website does. If this first year is successful we will certainly continue on with the mission!

I want everyone to know that this is not a "money-making" venture. Yes we are collecting a fee, but only to pay for the facility, the food, and the instructors (many of whom are traveling quite a distance to be there).

Thanks!

SURF ON!

From time to time here I'd like to preview one of the classes that we'll be teaching! Besides daily work one on one with instructors campers will also get to experience:

Van Etiquette: tales from the road

This mostly for fun class will feature stories from road warriors that you won't hear anywhere else. "Remember that time we got stuck on the 405..." or "Remember that night going over the Sierras with NO CHAINS..." or "How 'bout that time on the Bay Bridge headed to the Hotel Utah..."

We'll also cover topics such as: how to drive a big fully loaded van, how to back up, how to park, what not to eat before/while on a road trip, how to stay awake late at night, proper loading technique, and even van maintenance.

Hey, this is so great and fits my fantasy of a rock 'n roll fantasy camp. All of the Lava Pups intend to be there. We're interested the "Performance" class to determine whether we have to ditch our "funeral director" expressionless faces. Added plus Ferenc's songwriting class. Wow, bitchin'

Bill T

Lava Pups

This sounds like an exciting adventure, very well thought out with a fantastic mission, keeping surf music alive and upping the bar for surf musician. Many years ago, I had the opportunity to be an instructor at some guitar camps that were held at the University of Utah. My section of course was surf music. It was a blast and the kids loved it. I hope many will take advantage of this opportunity. If I could I would, I would love to learn to play the guitar correctly. Have fun guys.
Bob Dalley

So this includes food and lodging too? Hopefully I can swing it, I need something like this!

Hey!!!! I was a UPS driver for 4 1/2 years, and I'm now a Driver's Ed instructor. Need faculty????? Big Grin

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Neato!

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

Will it be tents or cabins or tent cabins?
or will there be spaces for RVs or trailers and such?
...yurts?
under the stars 'round the campfire?

will there be bears?

I have bears here.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

IvanP wrote:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

This is AMAZING!!! Huge kudos to all involved! May it
be a huge success!

Ivan-you HAVE to come so you, Paul, and I can celebrate our mutual Birthday, AND so I can play "Red Sunrise" with you!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next