Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Continental Magazine Issue #19 Out Now!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Another amazing issue. We are so fortunate to have The Continental Magazine in our little scene. The efforts of Sean and Ivan along with the others needs to be showered with appreciation, it's a ton of work to do this and the only payback is our support. Please subscribe if you haven't already, and tell all your friends.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I've been meaning to subscribe for a long time and just did. Looking forward to my first issue! Thanks for the push Danny.

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012 12:17:11

DannySnyder wrote:

Another amazing issue. We are so fortunate to have The
Continental Magazine in our little scene. The efforts
of Sean and Ivan along with the others needs to be
showered with appreciation, it's a ton of work to do
this and the only payback is our support. Please
subscribe if you haven't already, and tell all your
friends.

Yes, yes, and yes! Let's give Ivan a big hand for once again contributing another lengthy and detailed interview with yet another interesting band.

Sean your work is greatly appreciated!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Glad you're all enjoying this issue. I'm going to make a big effort to get the next issue out in a few months, and then maybe another one by the end of the year. The magazine is actually doing well and growing in popularity (over 350 subscribers!) - who says print publications are dead?

I can't thank Ivan and Johnny Bartlett enough for all of their hard work, making each issue complete with in-depth interviews, as well as look great! Also, thanks to all of the bands who contributed songs and ads - I couldn't do it without all of you!

If anyone's interested in having a song, or doing and ad (or both) in the next issue, here's the info with specs and deadlines:

http://www.doublecrownrecords.com/continental-magazine/advertise-in-the-continental/

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Ow, my arm! Smile OK, I just subscribed and am really looking forward to issue #19. Keep up the great work, Sean.

Rick

Rick

Just got mine as well! I haven't started reading yet, but I'm sure it's just as high in quality as the other issues.

I plan on maintaining my subscription as long as it is around!

Ivan's interview with Alex Anthony Faide is fantastic. Worth the prices of admission alone!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Thanks to all for the nice words about the interview with Alex. It was a real pleasure to do it, especially being such a huge fan of his (though it took a lot of work to get some of that info out of him, he's not the most verbose guy!). And I appreciate your thanks - these interviews are a huge amount of work, though I do enjoy doing them. Given how little acclaim all these talented individuals get by virtue of having chosen to make music in our highly obscure genre, it seems only right to try to correct that a bit, by treating them with the respect and interest that their talent truly deserves. I just wish I had the time and energy to interview all the amazing surf musicians that I respect and love!

My hat's off to Sean for continuing to do a fantastic job with the zine, making it look great and giving us such great content - and letting me do these interviews! Also, the Tremolo Beer Gut interview by Sean was just great, too! Really enjoyed that one - funny funny guys!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Hey Sean, thanks so much for taking the time to review the initial Reefriders CD release, “Two Wave Hold Down” in the current issue. We are very pleased to have been included in Continental Magazine issue #19 along with so many other great bands!

cd was great

Got mine today. Great mag. cool interview with Alex. Great CD.

I've been enjoying the heck out of the CD that comes with this magazine. With 25 tracks, all by different bands, and nearly 80 minutes of music, it's a lot to digest, but I wanted to mention a few highlights, IMO. Besides a few bands whose CDs I've had and loved for a while now (the Secret Samurai, the Shockwave!, Tremolo Beer Gut, the Mystery Men, etc.), I was quite blown away by two other Finnish (i think) bands on Goofin' Records, the Dangermen and the Vision. The Dangermen's cover of the Vulcanes' awesome '64 epic "Moon Probe" is AMAZING. A prominent organ, two guitars trading off on lead, a huge atmosphere, just total goosebumps. "Dead Man Talkin'" by the Vision is a fantastic spook-fest and it demonstrates what a talented band can do with a simple riff- turn it into something much greater than the sum of its parts.

Love the Martin Cilla track, "Twilight Surfer", too. An excellent combination of the Shadows and surf (and it's interesting that he chose the word 'twilight' to imply the Shadows influence, as somebody else (now, who would that be... Smile ) has done recently, quite a coincidence). Along the same beautiful and highly melodic lines, the Tikiyaki's Orchestra's "Mana Pacifica" is quite stunning, such an amazing combination of surf and Hawaiian exotica, gorgeous tones, and a real sunny atmosphere. A true gem. King Pelican's "Western Satellite" is also a highly melodic midtempo surf ballad, reminding me a bit of the Sentinals' "Sunset Beach", copping a similar vibe.

Meshugga Beach Party's "Go Go Golem" is a total blast, as if Laika & the Cosmonauts played ska - similar guitar and keyboard tones, as well as the melodic and harmonic vibe. Just a fantastic track, really love this one, highly infectious and gets the feet tapping! "Autostrada" by HJ is a very quirky track that reminds me of some '80s or early '90s surf, with a new-wavish bass line and overall vibe, but it's impossible to resist, it really draws you in. Definitely not trad, but so cool.

"Fez Inferno" by Twang-o-Matics is a short but great blast of middle-eastern influenced surf, nothing too terribly ambitious, just a simple but effective modern surf song. "The Matador" by Trabants could be described in a similar way - it's got a bit of an exotic vibe (in this case quite spaghetti-western), with a simple yet beautiful and catchy melody and a wistful and melancholy vibe. This reminds me a bit of the Treble Spankers, which is a high-compliment, indeed, I think.

I'll mention two other tracks: the Volcanicks' "Pumpin' at the Pines" is a really nice trad-surf track, sounding like a lost '60s gem (if it wasn't for the drum sound, which is not bad, just not entirely authentic, it could have passed for a '60s recording). Still, very, very cool. And finally, I really enjoyed Kill, Baby... Kill!'s "Love Theme for a Twisted Mind", an excellent post-MoAM! high-energy blast showing some fine musicianship and songwriting. Really looking forward to seeing these guys at the Instro Summit!

Those are some of my favorites, I'm sure everybody will have their own since there are a lot of other good tracks on there that I didn't mention above. But it's really worth spending some time digging into this CD, and discovering some new bands (I was not previously familiar with several of the bands I mentioned above, but will definitely check them out now) - there's gold in them there hills!!!!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Thanks for the reminder Ivan. I still haven't popped the CD in yet.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

"Fez Inferno" by Twang-o-Matics is a short but great blast of middle-eastern influenced surf, nothing too terribly ambitious, just a simple but effective modern surf song.

Thanks Ivan, much appreciated.

Nils Tempo

Nils

"If it hadn’t been for Link Wray and 'Rumble,' I would have never picked up a guitar." - Pete Townshend, The Who

The Twang-O-Matics - Facebook
The Twang-O-Matics - homepage

The Dangermen Moon Probe is my favorite with Go Go Golem a close second. I've had this CD spinning in my car a lot lately too. Good stuff!

Ivan, you are entirely too kind. However, I am glad you enjoyed the track. I must say, we are intimidated as hell about following you guys at Instro Summit. There are few times where we haven't felt worthy, but this is certainly one of them. I just keep reminding myself that we are VERY different bands...hahahaha

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Brian wrote:

Thanks for the reminder Ivan. I still haven't popped the CD in yet.

yeah me too,
I need to listen to this, and some of the old continental cds,
I have often thought of making a best of, of the songs on them.
But usually more than half of the songs being really good.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

IvanP wrote:

I'll mention two other tracks: the Volcanicks' "Pumpin' at the Pines" is a really nice trad-surf track, sounding like a lost '60s gem (if it wasn't for the drum sound, which is not bad, just not entirely authentic, it could have passed for a '60s recording). Still, very, very cool. And finally, I really enjoyed Kill, Baby... Kill!'s "Love Theme for a Twisted Mind", an excellent post-MoAM! high-energy blast showing some fine musicianship and songwriting. Really looking forward to seeing these guys at the Instro Summit!

Those are some of my favorites, I'm sure everybody will have their own since there are a lot of other good tracks on there that I didn't mention above. But it's really worth spending some time digging into this CD, and discovering some new bands (I was not previously familiar with several of the bands I mentioned above, but will definitely check them out now) - there's gold in them there hills!!!!

Thanks Ivan, no doubt the drums do come across in the mix like that, we're still trying to get the right mix happening which is more elusive that it should be. But glad to know that it got a mention all the same Smile

https://www.facebook.com/lostremoleros/

Last edited: Apr 08, 2012 04:19:00

Thanks Ivan for the kind words. It's been an honor for us to be associated with this project. I've been enjoying the "heck" out of this compilation...awesome music from awesome bands.

https://kingpelican.bandcamp.com/

Thanks for the in-depth review of the magazine Ivan!

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next