Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink WSJ article on stolen instruments of touring musicians

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

I think Chuck Berry did that when I saw him.. Probably advised Dick to do it!

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

In Ivan's account of his encounter with DD's Beast, Sam Bolle said it actually had two of it's original pickups stolen while it was at a shop. Brian pasted it in this thread from a few years ago.

As far as something like that happening at a shop, I'd say it's much less likely than if you were to leave it backstage most places. The only place I take my stuff to is an individual's basement shop, so I'm never worried, but if it's a place you're reasonably familiar with I'd assume it's a pretty safe bet. They may be cool with letting you watch for educational purposes, as Danny suggested.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

I used to think that stealing was wrong, but in an effort to stay current with today's youth, I've decided that I'm going to rob Eddie Katcher of all his vintage amps and such - after all, he has so much of it, and I deserve some of it.

I've also taken the time to write an apology letter as I'm sure I'll be caught.

It's been a really slow day at work, can you tell? Wink

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Dec 03, 2011 14:00:04

ROTFL

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Laughing

The hilarity award goes to Chris. Big Grin

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

I know a couple of guys who took their amp in for repairs and when they got it back, the original Fender speakers had been replaced. This happened at different shops, too.

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

People who steal will always rationalise it so they are not doing anything wrong, it is always someone else's fault. They will not admit it was wrong, they know it is but in order to justify it to themselves it has to be someone else's fault.

The Chuck Berry story is a lesson for as all.
But the music boards are full of stories of gear being stolen.

One of Johnny Marr's guitars was recovered after the thief took it into a London shop for some work. The thief said he took it on the spur of the moment as the guitar was unattended backstage and he saw a way of getting out with it.

Freshwater Surfin'

The Murray Basin
Australia

Ok bicycle boy.......

Now jailbird, this is how we are going to handle this mess.....

Keep in mind that since today is my birthday and that Brian what's his name, left my name off the list of December birthdays (and although I'm a bit bent about it), I am going to go against my better judgement and go easy on you. (Mostly it's because you and that Tuck-o dude are out there shiverin' in the snow) Ok now, since you did show some good judgement by stealin' MY stuff (and not Woody-whats-his-face's gear}, if you promise to go straight AND ship all my stuff back, (and this means BOTH '62 Bandmaster heads), I'll make it all better by shipping you, by return mail, this blackface Bandmaster Amp head that is taking up space on the BOATWERX floor. See some dorky doofus left his amp right in the middle of my "basement" (as in BOATWERX) floor. And considering that I have robbed all the parts out of it that were good for anything, I'll bless you with it 'cause you dig those blackface rascals anyway and I need to make room to roll my freshly returned toys back where they belong.

As far as boat working goes, sawdust is sawdust. So that being said, it really shouldn't matter to anyone hanging around this site that most of the recent sawdust (as in the last ten years) was generated in the "BOATWERX" building all those white amp cabinets that you snatched. So young man, it will pay you to go straight. Cause if you don't, I am going to sweep up all that sawdust and ship it to this guy I know who lives in South Denver. He has a kick ass woody wagon and could probably be paid a handsome sum to come dump it in YOUR yard (or garage). And I'll bet he knows where you live. Although thinking about it, it might be easier for me to pay someone to roll your yard.................

Oh, and "Boatwerx" is one word and it has NOTHING to do with hip hop.

With all due respect.......hahahahahahaha

edward j katcher
(boat builder, guitar insulter, and all around generally annoying person)

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2