Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Fifty Foot Combo RIP

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

I just saw that one of the great Euro surf bands of all time has called it a day and played their final show a month ago. That makes me very sad.

Fifty Foot Combo were amazing. Unfortunately, they abandoned surf music a few years ago and moved to a more lounge/seventies/garage direction. But the surf stuff they left is invaluable. Their surf discography was:

"Go Hunting!" (Zebraah Records, Belgium, 1997)
"Go Hunting!" (MuSick, USA, 1999)
"Evil A Go-Go" (2000)
"Strike! The Early Years 1994-2000" (Drunkabilly Records, Belgium, 2000)
"Caffeine" (Drunkabilly Records, Belgium, 2002)

"Go Hunting" was a respectable debut, though not amazing. Still, it had several fantastic highlights, including "It's Alive", "The Brain From Planet X" and the awesome Atlantics' cover "Dimitrius".

They really hit their stride with their sophomore effort, "Evil A Go-Go". I love this album! I got a copy of it from Warren AKA Captain Springfield recently, and was just blown away. This was the missing link in the Fifty Foot Combo story - and what a missing link! "Evil A Go-Go" was their surfiest effort, but still featured heavy organ & garage and exotica/jungle influences (coming from a full-time percussionist) on top of the reverbed guitars and wild drums. For anybody that loves the Bomboras, this is a must. The album was almost impossible to find, since it was made in very small quantity and released on a small, obscure label that owns the original recordings and isn't interested in reissuing it. BUT! It can now be downloaded for free right here!! Go do it now!! Before it's gone!!

"Strike" was a compilation of all the Fifty Foot Combo stray material - unreleased early recordings, singles, comp-only tracks, etc. It had some awesome moments, in particular IMHO one of the best surf tracks ever: "SL 54 Automatic". Pure brilliance. "Evil Walks In" was also probably one of the spookiest, most evil surf tracks I have ever heard. But there were many more.

Finally, on "Caffeine" they started moving in other, non-surf directions, though they were able to still knock out the incredible "tripleXpresso", the awesome "Bali Hai" (in the style of the Irredescents sixties version), and a supremely moody "Le Dimance Matin". But it proved to be their surf swan song. They had one or two more releases after "Caffeine" which were entirely surf-free. I had hoped that one day they would return to surf, but alas it was not to be.

Anyway, go download "Evil A Go-Go" and revel in the glory that was Fifty Foot Combo.

Fifty Foot Combo
1994-2006
RIP

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006 15:31:02

Very Sad news, but as you said, they had gone astray awhile back.
I had got Caffine, and the Live album, and was very disappointed.
I can handle up beat gargey music if it still retains the reverb, but it was as dry as a bone, and very gritty and harsh sounding.
thanks for the info though Ivan.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

'Go-Hunting' is a favorite of mine. I'll be sure and pick up those other releases too. I'm not a big fan of downloading music, but it seems to be the only option for 'Evil A Go-Go'.

Agree on SL 54 Automatic...killer track!!!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I remember the first time I heard "Go Hunting" - it was the first trip to SoCal for the Lava Rats back in December of... '02 I think.

We swung by GoBoy records on our way home just to pick up some surf CDs, and Kenan bought the last copy of "Go Hunting". We didn't know a thing about it, but luckily BTD was there to give it a thumbs up.

We tossed it in on the car stereo about an hour later, and I was floored. That would probably crack my top 10 or 15 modern releases. I downloaded "Evil A Go-Go" today, and am starting to work my way through it, and am impressed by it just as much.

~B~

Can somebody either make me a copy of that download, or contact me off lit, and help walk me thru the downloading process.
I've clicked on the link a couple of times, But I see all this info, I have no idea what it means.

thanks,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

You have to enter the code it displays in the little box, then click the download button. It took me two tries. It makes you wait for a while, then it downloads a big zip file to your computer. Inside the zip files are a bunch of mp3's. Let me know if you still need help.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Hey Jeff,

Go straight to this page. Near the top right-hand corner there's a box where you need to enter a 3 character code and then click the "download" button right next to it.

It's a big file...

Don

thanks guys, I'll see if I can have my brother walk me thru it.
the hardest part for me will probably be transfering it to a cdr.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff, I already downloaded it and was planning to give you a copy soon, so don't worry about it. It was supposed to be a surprise.
Ran

The Scimitars

Yikes! Shocked
Three hours to download at my 56k
I'll try later when I have more time. Very Happy
Joel

They were damn good!
Live shows were awesome. Heard stories and seen pics...

I only found out about them because I was ordering about 6 surf albums from somebody (he just put surf next to them so I thought "Well OK") and Go Hunting was in there. Great band.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

I am a big fan of 50 Foot Combo too. Love the band and play them often on the show (in fact, we played "Drums A Go Go" the other night"). I have "Go Hunting" and "Strike", but do not have "Evil A Go-Go". I am going to start downloading now! Thanks Ivan! Very Happy

Jet Sterling, Cosmic Spy
www.surfabillyfreakout.com

surfraptor
They were damn good!
Live shows were awesome. Heard stories and seen pics...

.. and been there too! yes they kick ass. it's one of those bands where it actually stops mattering (???) whether you like their music just so so or totally 110%, 'cause the concert just transcends the music. mindblowing performences!

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

WR
.. and been there too! yes they kick ass. it's one of those bands where it actually stops mattering (???) whether you like their music just so so or totally 110%, 'cause the concert just transcends the music. mindblowing performences!

So, Wannes, what made the show so good? Can you try to capture the experience for us?

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP
So, Wannes, what made the show so good? Can you try to capture the experience for us?

Ivan

a couple of things. first, SURF TSUNAMI!!!! really, they have (had) such a powerful massive live sound. I know in technical terms i should say stuff like all frequencies filled up, compressed and loud, but what it feels like is MASSIVE. HUGE. ENORMOUS. like a punch in the face. from all the bands I saw live, only the mofo's and the coffin daggers had such massive sound, and both in a different way. 50ft was just ... more creamy. secondly, great showmen (M/F) they'd been playin for quite a while when I saw them first, so experienced, but also the personalities to get up there and do it, with humor and attitude. much more then just playing music, really putting up a show. that means something to look at, as well as communicating with the audience. I think I saw them two or three times, alsways full room, always a party.

and besides,

WR

Rules to live by #314:

Thanks, Wannes, for that. What did they do visually that made them fun? I'm curious about these things....

So, folks, nobody has any comments about "Evil A Go-Go"? You get to download for free a lost classic and nothing?? Confused Question

Well, I think it's freakin' brilliant!!

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

yeah Ivan...i downloaded it a couple of weeks ago, been getting high rotation on my mp3 player...pretty powerfull sounding record!

adam

IvanP
So, folks, nobody has any comments about "Evil A Go-Go"? You get to download for free a lost classic and nothing?? Confused Question

Well, I

think it's freakin' brilliant!!

Ivan
If I didn't own it already I would have thanked you big time!!!

IvanP
Thanks, Wannes, for that. What did they do visually that made them fun? I'm curious about these things....
Ivan

a true live band.. kinda hard to explain, not "something" they did really. This is highly personal preference, but here goes. As far as visual appearance goes, there's a couple of ways to go, i.e., uniform (nebs with bowling shirts- look), schtick (meshuggas, nebs with startrek uniforms), Cali casual look (jeans and T's, Pollo.), hawaiian shirts. and what I personally like best, is everyone dressed in a partcular style, but not necessarily unform. 50ft combo looked all the way garage, like right out of the late 60's, but without being 'dressed up'. I guess it's kind of, the visual just fits, there's nothing disturbing or distracting about what you're looking at, neither in the sense of too theatrical nor in the sense they 'don't look the music.'

more importandly, though, it's stage behaviour. Spontanious (no 'learned' trick or poses), confident (using the entire stage, walking around, looking at gesturing at the audience etc) humorous ('posing' with obvious tongue in cheeck intentions) as well as 'raw arrogant rockstar mentality' (posing, guitar in the air, sometimes tongue in cheeck, sometimes not)

bottomline I think is that it all came naturally (or at least that's what it looked like), and it fit the music. on all these things, there's not really a recipe. I mean, the Nebula's look awesome in the skull mask, but part of that is the sort of distanced, over-serious attitude they take with it (when I saw them that is) which gave it a weird detached vibe, cool with that music. it would have been awkward though if they started making jokes inbetween songs, doesn't fit the music. For the Bolboas on the other hand (completly a dressed up band) the joking worked perfectly, as for the Tijuana Bibles when I last saw them, who als do a totally covincing 'boys will be boys dirty words wanna see my dick foot on the monitor' thing - which would be ridiculous for Pollo, just as dressing up in tiger-skins and straw skirts and drumming with bones as sticks would be for Pollo - but it works nicely for the TikiTikiBamboos with the entire "Jawaiian' act. I saw Jeff Conolly with the Lyres live, it would have sucked if he had NOT been a complete arrogant prick on stage.

in the end, i like it if it fits the music, and if a band looks comfortable on stage. and 50ft combo jst knew how to 'build a party' I guess.

WR

Rules to live by #314:

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next