Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink The Madeira in the studio - July 29-31, 2011

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

Ivan, I know you don't use effects (for the most part), but I was curious if that was a volume pedal in the above picture. Also, I see what looks like a Zoom pedal and a rack unit (Line 6 maybe). Were those used on the recording or were they kept around just in case?

To Boldly go where no Tiki has gone before...

Come to the Summit this weekend and see Ivan temporarily reunited with the Jazzmaster in this picture!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: May 01, 2013 15:05:40

artdecade wrote:

Ivan, I know you don't use effects (for the most part), but I was curious if that was a volume pedal in the above picture.

I did use a late '50s DeArmond 610 Volume/Tone pedal on the last song of the album, Zanzibar. Pure Hank! Smile

Also, I see what looks like a Zoom pedal and a rack unit (Line 6 maybe). Were those used on the recording or were they kept around just in case?

I think the Zoom pedal you may be referring to is what's recommended to be used with the Zoom rack unit (RFX 2000, I think) just to boost the line level input or something. I don't think I even had it on, I think it was just supposed to be in between the guitar and the unit. The Zoom rack unit is a delay unit that's been programmed with Echoes from the Past presets, which are intended to replicate the old Shadows echoes from Meazzi and other multihead tape echo units that Hank used. I think I used that rack unit on the song Twilight only.

There you go! Noel, looking forward to seeing you and the JM!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: May 01, 2013 17:34:20

Thanks for the information, Ivan.

I am a newbie when it comes to a lot of this stuff. I figure that you get all of your overdrive/grit just from driving the amp hard. When you play live, do you set the amp to overdrive and adjust the volume pedal on the guitar to get your clean and driven sounds? Or do you just turn the amp up louder when the time comes? You have so many interesting layers of sound on the album and I have no idea how you pull that off live with one amp and no dirt pedals!

artdecade wrote:

Thanks for the information, Ivan.

You're very welcome - thanks for your interest!

I am a newbie when it comes to a lot of this stuff. I figure that you get all of your overdrive/grit just from driving the amp hard.

Well, sort of. I rarely have any of my amps above 6. At that volume they're cranking, but not really overdriving a whole lot. I think the apparent 'overdrive' comes from the combination of heavy reverb and very heavy picking (with heavy gauge strings, 12-52). I put a lot of force into my right hand, and that tends to make it sound like it's overdriving much more than it actually is. (One exception to the above: the solo on the opening track, Tribal Fury, was recorded through a cranked '62 Bandmaster - I actually had the volume on 10. That was the only time on the album I did that.) I never use overdrive/distortion pedals.

When you play live, do you set the amp to overdrive and adjust the volume pedal on the guitar to get your clean and driven sounds? Or do you just turn the amp up louder when the time comes?

None of the above. Live I'll usually have the amp's volume between 5 and 6, and vary the 'grit' by how hard I pick and how high I turn up the reverb. I always keep the guitar's volume knob all the way up, and I never use a volume pedal live.

You have so many interesting layers of sound on the album and I have no idea how you pull that off live with one amp and no dirt pedals!

Well, a lot of it is really choosing the different pickups for different songs, how much reverb I put on guitar for different songs (I simply vary the Mix, usually between 4 and 6), and how high I turn up the echo level. And then the most important factor is the touch. If you have a dynamic amp, you can get a lot of tones out of it depending on how hard or soft you pick, where along the string you pick, etc. But of course live the sounds are never going to be quite as varied as they are on the album, and that's fine.

Hope that helps - thanks again for the interest, and I'm very glad to hear you're enjoying the album so much!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: May 02, 2013 08:43:14

You are a gentleman and scholar! Thanks again for all the information.

Hey Ivan - Do you keep a strat tuned down for the Atlantics recordings or do you just play the covers in standard?

artdecade, no, I do not, we play them in regular tuning. In fact, the only Atlantics cover we actually recorded tuned down (like the original) was S.O.S (Stomp on Stomp). The others we recorded in regular tuning, though originally they were done half step down. It's just a hassle, and there's little time to waste in the studio...

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3