Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Jon/Nightriders' "Surf Beat '80" on CD for the 1st Time!!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

That someone will be me! We're planning on reissuing all the albums in order, except for "Stampede," which we released in 2007. I don't know about "Banished To The Beach" just yet. That one could sound much better, and all the singles and leftover session tracks will have to go somewhere. A really good "Best Of" is a necessity. I'll discuss all this with John Blair when we're ready to look at J&TN compilations.

Greg

kab69440 wrote:

Someone PLEASE tell me that "Undercover" and "Banished
to the Beach" will also be re-released on CD. I have
been hunting a copy of each for YEARS!

Thank you! I think I'm going to cry...

Man it's so nice to hear SB80 clearly! I've been messing with the LP, trying to EQ out the mud, etc., for over 10 years! Bought the LP new, a surf fan during that desolate era. The skeleton said it all... Emailed John to offer him some tortured MP3s just before they released the CD - that's timing!

i just picked this up as i was too impatient to wait for the convention. as always, great stuff. i love, love this band.

www.surfintheeye.com

Broke out Surf Beat 80 on the commute to the jay-oh-bee this morning in anticipation of the Convention in August.

Got me wondering... what are the chances that the next installment of the reissues (last commented as Live @ The Whisky) will be ready for the convention??? Ya know, the "Historic Reunion Show!" and all Yes

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Cool

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

So I sent a note to John & Greg Russo (Crossfire) to see what they could share. Turns out they've been working on a large box set release for quite some time now - "PAUL BUFF PRESENTS HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE PAL AND ORIGINAL SOUND STUDIO ARCHIVES". Unfortunately, that means the next installment from Jon & the Nightriders won't be out before the Convention.

John and I discussed this, but I have to release a large box set first (attached). I have worked on this set for more than 5 years. "Paul Buff Presents Highlights From The Pal And Original Sound Studio Archives" contains 156 tracks on 5 CDs, including 58 early tracks featuring Frank Zappa. There are many extremely rare surf instrumentals in the set. It will be packaged in a DVD case with a 40-page color booklet and reproductions of Paul Buff's original record labels from the early '60s. John Blair was a big contributor to this set. No, it doesn't include "Wipe Out" because I don't want to get sued!

Please feel free to tell everyone about this set, for which I'm taking pre-release orders. People can order it directly from my site (www.crossfirepublications.com) or by sending $45 via PayPal to this e-mail address. I'm sending it to the pressing plant in a few days.

Once this box set is underway, I'll work with John to see if we can get something together soon. Thanks.

Greg

More info on this set, including the songlist for all 5 CD's can be found on the Crossfire website.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Purchased a copy today along with "PAUL BUFF PRESENTS HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE PAL AND ORIGINAL SOUND STUDIO ARCHIVES". Got confirmation of getting 2 bonus CDs by The Tornadoes!

Banished to the Beach was released in a quantity of 500 copies and a Belgium friend of mine (Erik Delie) ordered another 100 copies of it, which were pressed especially for him.
For professional reasons Erik moved to China some 5 years ago and I have lost contact to him. He should still have some copies of the cd, maybe at his mothers home in Belgium.
He had lived in Long Beach, Ca. before that in San Diego, Ca.
His email adress was: blackja420@aol.com
If some knows about his whereabouts, please publish it here!

Ruediger

Ruediger,

I met Erik at Surf Museum shows, and he told me about the
"Banished to the Beach" cds. I bought the last 50 or so that he had,
and sold them to people at shows, and here on SG101.
I don't have any more of them.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

So, it occurred to me that it's been a while since the below announcement by Greg of Crossfire Recordings - over two years. Greg, John (Blair) or anybody else, is there any news with the Whiskey reissue?? We eagerly await!

Ivan

crossfire wrote:

BigTim,

We're doing the Whiskey album next, so don't worry! Retailers are too slow to order and they don't order enough, so your best bet is to get "Surf Beat '80" from (http://www.crossfirepublications.com). It's my company and I send everything out immediately. No nonsense!

Greg

BigTim wrote:

Awesome news! I'm already waiting in the queue as it
will probably sell out quickly (as it should). Big Grin

Hate to ask for any more with this announcement but
.... I will anyway. Any chance that "Live at the
Whiskey" might also be coming out on CD? I listened to
that album years ago at a buddy's house and remember it
was incredible.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Ivan and others,

The Live at the Whisky LP is the most requested J&TNs record to be digitally converted to CD. The main issue that's kept this from happening is the fact that I do not own the original recording master, nor do I know where it is or who has it. Lost in time. The only way this is going to happen is if we can create a decent digital master from a two-track safety copy that I DO have (AND make suitable legal arrangements to release it). If we were to do any bonus tracks, they would have to come from a cassette copy of rough studio mixes of the two live shows that were the basis for the original LP. I've been hoping (maybe beyond hope) that the master tapes will turn up somewhere. One of these days....

John

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Bummer, John. I was hoping that the reissue was nearing completion, since Greg made that announcement over two years ago. but I can understand the challenges and the obstacles. Here's hoping you can overcome them all, and finally get this ultra-classic album out on CD - best of luck, and please keep us posted.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

REAL Bummer! "Live at the Whiskey" was as far as I remember the record that got me into not just wanting to listen to surf music but also to play it myself. It still is one of my favorite records ever and I was really looking forward for its re-release since someone here pointed me to the project. This kind of ruins my day.

John wrote:

If we were to do any bonus tracks, they would have to come from a cassette copy of rough studio mixes of the two live shows that were the basis for the original LP.

Is that were the additional live tracks on "Banished..." were coming from or were those still taken from the masters? They sound a bit different, at least to my ear.

Good luck with the reissue!!! (for selfish reasons obviously)

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Last edited: Sep 06, 2013 07:35:09

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3