Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Solos in Instro Surf

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

I'm hoping to hear some good old Hungarian Minor and the Byzantine scales tomorrow nite at the Beachland Wink

This isn't a surf solo. It is, I believe, the single best piece of Romantic (as opposed to Classical, Impressionist or Modern) short orchestral music ever written. It features an orchestrated solo of variations of the melody.

Why this one? Well, I grew up listening to it. Not this performance, but it was what my dad played at home when he had a performance that night or when he just felt like it. He used it to warm up.

There are other connections. It was filmed at Carnegie Hall which Dad often played in and considered the best-sounding hall in America and one of the best anywhere. The conductor is Fritz Reiner, for whom Dad played for years when he was the Principle Conductor of Dad's symphony orchestra. And last, he knew Jascha Heifetz very well and always considered him the best violinist he ever knew.

Dad was no musical snob and he played violin in a jazz band as well. They played stuff like this famous Artie Shaw tune. Unfortunately, there are no recordings of Dad's jazz band. The clarinet and sax solos are more examples of orchestrated solos based on variations of the melody. I hope you enjoy the music. It isn't surf but they are terrific pieces of music and great solos.

I can't imbed Dad's photograph, but you can see him here.
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/b/o/n/Barbara-Bonner/PHOTO/0013photo.html

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011 18:20:01

Noel wrote:

This isn't a surf solo. It is, I believe, the single
best piece of Romantic (as opposed to Classical,
Impressionist or Modern) short orchestral music ever
written. It features an orchestrated solo of variations
of the melody.

Yes!!! This is absolutely my favorite Violin Concerto ever composed. It is so fantastic.

Check out this recording: http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Violin-Concerto-Julia-Fischer/dp/B000IY06CK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1304120739&sr=8-8

It is hands down my favorite that I've ever heard. The orchestra just sounds amazing, plus the violinist is probably my favorite, Julia Fischer. Anything on the Pentatone label with the recently deceased Yakov Kreizberg is just as good as you can get.

Most of the instro songs I write are totally composed, but every now and then one gets out with room for a little improvisation - maybe a verse, maybe a bridge, maybe 12 bars. It feels good to bang off a nice, concise solo that works within the song to add a little spice. Then I eventually hit on something I like and mostly repeat it...

http://www.aquatudes.com
http://www.facebook.com/theaquatudes

CaptainSpringfield wrote:

Michael Lloyd of the New Dimensions had some fiery
leads but I'm blanking on which songs they were from.

Just from the "best of" comp, I get:
Soul Breakfast
Soul Side
Surfin' Brown Jug
Rumblebee (outro--wish it didn't fade so soon)
Avalanche (live)

Noel, what a coincidence to see a link to my fave violin piece.
Holy cow, you & your Dad were totally there!

I still play the LP [on the old hifi!] especially when the folks come to visit. Now my kids are familiar w/ the piece.

I'm a three-chord 'Louie, Louie' picker myself, but my Mom and I have always loved this ever since we caught it one night on the car radio in the early '60s.

Last edited: May 02, 2011 11:36:29

GuitarBob wrote:

Noel, what a coincidence to see a link to my fave
violin piece.
Holy cow, you & your Dad were totally there!

I still play the LP [on the old hifi!] especially when
the folks come to visit. Now my kids are familiar w/
the piece.

I'm a three-chord 'Louie, Louie' picker myself, but my
Mom and I have always loved this ever since we caught
it one night on the car radio in the early '60s.

Thanks Bob! That record you have is a treasure. I have a few that my dad's on and they mean a lot to me. My absolute all-time favorite childhood memory is when several Dad's of best friends from the symphony came over and they all played string quartets just for fun (and Dad's spaghetti) at our house, or when they brought along the orchestra pianist and played quintets for strings and piano next door where there was a concert grand. I wish someone had recorded these sessions.

One time though we went somewhere else and Dad and the guys played jazz with a guitar player named Joe Negri. I could've had lessons from him, but I'd quit by then and didn't pick up a guitar again until recently. I still have the bruises from kicking myself over that move.

Here's why. Here's Joe Negri not too long ago, at about the same time I started trying to learn to play guitar for the second time. Ouch!

Last edited: May 02, 2011 13:44:58

Yeah, but can he play "Wipeout"? Laughing

elreydlp wrote:

Yeah, but can he play "Wipeout"? Laughing

I'm gonna say he could play Nitro and Misirlou if he wanted to. Big Grin In this clip he talks about some of his influences and plays some Django Reinhardt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i77-FgpqAJo

And Charlie Parker's Confirmation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWeMOvl06s8

One last clip before I bury this thread with jazz and orchestral solos. Here's Joe Negri, Johnny Costa and Wynton Marsalas on Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. The jam ends with Blue Monk by Thelonious Monk. These guys never looked down at their young audience and thought this music was too hard for them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsMl4nQRRYc&feature=related

Last edited: May 02, 2011 15:48:22

Seems Mr. Rogers had a helluva house band.

Kind of weird to see three people all list Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto as their favorite. I personally have never seen that piece get a ton of love in articles or essays. It is good to know other people really love it.

JakeDobner wrote:

Kind of weird to see three people all list
Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto as their favorite. I
personally have never seen that piece get a ton of love
in articles or essays. It is good to know other people
really love it.

Romantic symphonic music is a concert hall crowd favorite but modern critics find it old-fashioned. No serious modern composer writes romantic-style symphonic music and symphony orchestras are having trouble filling halls when modern concert music is offered.

Similarly, swing jazz music once filled dance and concert halls but leading-edge jazz musicians found it simple and confining. Bebop followed, a critical favorite, far more challenging to play and undanceable, and it closed lots of jazz clubs.

Last edited: May 03, 2011 16:10:44

Noel wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

Kind of weird to see three people all list
Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto as their favorite. I
personally have never seen that piece get a ton of
love
in articles or essays. It is good to know other
people
really love it.

Romantic symphonic music is a concert hall crowd
favorite but modern critics find it old-fashioned. No
serious modern composer writes romantic-style symphonic
music and symphony orchestras are having trouble
filling halls when modern concert music is offered.

Similarly, swing jazz music once filled dance and
concert halls but leading-edge jazz musicians found it
simple and confining. Bebop followed, a critical
favorite, far more challenging to play and undanceable,
and it closed lots of jazz clubs.

The musicians conundrum-play what's popular or play what fulfills and challenges YOU.

Modern concert music is far too dissonant for most people. Obviously, not all of it is dissonant, but modern composers really have started making music for themselves and dissonance is a big part of it. I personally love it, hands down my favorite instrumental music to listen to. There is some great stuff out there in the pst 50-60 years.

if it's in your heart and soul it's got to come out some way: why not a tasty solo?

Too often than not, in my opinion, it really isn't in somebody's heart. It is just a contrived "Oh, a solo needs to go here. Let's see how I can sound awesome to others".

What you said above is what I feel about a solo like in "Musette and Drums" by Cocteau Twins, which I posted earlier in this thread. It just feels like honest expression.

Bebop of the '50s was the heyday of the jazz clubs (Clifford Brown, Max Roach, 'trane, Rollins, Miles and my personal fave Hank Mobley). Personally I feel what killed the jazz clubs was Ornette Coleman's free-form jazz structures of the '60's. Super strange, very complex and, more importantly, it doesn't swing, man! Great musicians loved the challenge but it wouldn't put people in the seats.

As several people have already said, play what moves you -- people feed off that vibe. A solo just for a solo -- like every god-forsaken, bathroom break inducing drum solo of the '70's -- might be technically amazing but a great big yawnfest for those who can't appreciate the skill.

BigTim wrote:

Personally I feel what
killed the jazz clubs was Ornette Coleman's free-form
jazz structures of the '60's. Super strange, very
complex and, more importantly, it doesn't swing, man!
Great musicians loved the challenge but it wouldn't put
people in the seats.

If Ornette killed it, then it needed to die. IMO Ornette is one of the most important musicians of the last 100 years.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

not to get too far off track, but: music is all about evolution and change. Things are born they flourish, they vanish..sometimes they mutate , sometimes they reproduce. Our man Miles Davis was there at the birth of the bebop and helped to drive the nails into bebop's coffin...just the way it goes...seems to me that if one holds on too strongly, one can actually crush the life out of the music one loves...

sounds like another John Steinbeck short story...

elreydlp wrote:

The musicians conundrum-play what's popular or play
what fulfills and challenges YOU.

That's not a conundrum, that's a challenge!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next