Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Need best tremolo pedal like on board Fender

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6

derekirving wrote:

I have a Flint. I don't detect and pre delay with the 60's reverb. Pretty smooth very blackface reverb sounding (with some drip) to me.

Thanks for taking the time; EXACTLY what I wanted to know. Smile
(Still lovin' the tank you sold me; would just like to grab 1 amp sometime & toss a pedal & favorite delay in the back & go.)

Might have to sell a radio or a gun since I have plenty of both, but no Flint. Laughing

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I'll second that. There is no pre-delay and it sounds very drippy for a pedal, especially if you use the boost function for the reverb. I think you will not regret it.

The Hicadoolas

I am glad your question got answered, because I am still learning all the lingo, and don't actually know what "pre delay" is. Laughing As for the Flint, you can't go wrong with it, this thing is so drippy it almost makes the floor wet! Awesome pedal, worth the price. Cool

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

SSS, glad you like it. "pre-delay" is a tendency (obnoxious to me) of lesser pedals to have almost a muted slapback built in before getting the effect of the reverb circuit itself. Some better than others (if you want a slap also) but sometimes it's just muted trash-noise. I've asked a couple of other makers about this and usually they tell me it was a "design decision" - which usually means that's the chipset they decided to with at whatever price point. This pedal, while spendy, sounds like "pay once cry once" and not have to look again.
Whatever

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Just in, something new from Electro Harmonix:

The Super Pulsar

I am getting nutz about this... Duh

Now I have to decide between this and the Twin Peaks pedal... Hmmm

http://www.reverbnation.com/bangmustang
http://www.facebook.com/bangmustang
https://soundcloud.com/bang-mustang

That super Pulsar pedal looks and sounds sweet!

In addition to my experience mentioned earlier in this thread with the Catalinbread Pareidolia, I am compelled to chime in with another.

I recently picked up a Fulltone SupaTrem2 with the intention of using its stereo out to run 2 amps.

The ST2, in addition to being true stereo (it's actually 2 tremolo units in the box, not signal splitting/meshing), it introduces "Warble" as a selectable wave form which can also do the phasing stuff when running stereo. The amount in/out of phase is actually adjustable too.

My biggest surprise and learning only after getting it, the ST2 has great boost (apparently secret sauce of the original ST too). Not just added db's (many now have this), but there is a slight tone to the boost which apparently has a bit of a cult following (enter another Joe Bona. reference to the recent conversation... google it). JB wannabes or not, I am VERY pleasantly surprised with it.

Anywho - this clip is as much a showcase of the TTE as it is the SupaTrem2, but hey, pretty sweet methinks.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Fuller says his 'warble' setting is inspired by Leslie & Univibe sounds. The pedal is an opto-coupler amplitude modulator. I wonder how it compares to Brownface Fender tremolo, or if any comparison is apt.

What does Jake D. think of the Twin Peaks by Mr. Rolo over in the Euro zone? I would think his price would be falling precipitously in USD. How does Rolo's design stack up to Brownface?

For what it's worth, does anyone have any input on the sound of Music Man amps' tremolo, the 5-10 range of Intensity, where it does something warbly and cross-filtery that is pretty extraordinary. I am thinking of buying a MM 112 65 (my 1st amp 35 yrs ago!)to get a hot amp with this effect built in. Could Mike Fuller's new pedal do something comparable?

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

Fuller says his 'warble' setting is inspired by Leslie & Univibe sounds. The pedal is an opto-coupler amplitude modulator. I wonder how it compares to Brownface Fender tremolo, or if any comparison is apt.

I won't pretend to know a lot in this area (e.g.: use of opto-couplers vs. other methods), but there are references on BYOC and articles like this one that categorize it as a Blackface sound.

My understanding of the Brownface trem's uniqueness comes from this phenomena of split signal and slight phasing when the signals are 'joined back up again' which gives it that sense of swirl blended in with the on/off pulse sensation most common tremolos provide. When the SupaTrem2 is run in stereo out, you can tweak the amount in or out of phase for the 2 lines out/amps which is where/how I think you get into the Brownface territory using it.

Running the SupaTrem2 to one line out/amp (mono) negates this capability, so that's where pedals like the Catalinbread Pareidolia (and likely others) become appealing for Brownface trem in a box for a single amp setup.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Also, regarding the Warble waveform on the SupaTrem2, Fuller has updated it (SN's 760 and higher). He shows the difference in waveforms and describes how warble is different beyond just referencing Leslie and Univibe.

From his email letter to owners wishing to get previous pedals updated:

Fulltone wrote:

(referring to getting your pedal updated) How is that possible?

Because the world's only dual analog audio-path, Stereo In & Out, Tremolo / Autopanner with a Phase control knob, also has a digital Microprocessor that can be flashed with any changes we make to the Oscillator or Tap-Tempo.I have a couple of cool mods to share with owners of the ST-2 for free, (you only pay for shipping) And while it's here we'll install a gold-plated socket so that any future mods to the Microprocessor will involve us mailing you the new chip and you just pop it in...a 2 minute operation!

Tap Tempo Mod:
hold it down for 3/4 of a second and the speed doubles from whatever speed you're on. Hold it down again for 3/4 of a second and it halves the speed.

Waveform Mod:
"Warble" mode now has an even more asymmetrical feel, much more swampy....it's the only mode I use.

photo

photo

photo

There isn't another Tremolo pedal like this on the market...you truly have to hear what this sounds like in person, IN STEREO, and only then will you understand and appreciate the 3D imagery and subtle phasing that happens, like the Room is moving.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

SanchoPansen wrote:

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Hey guys, I am about to purchase the Flint Tremolo & Reverb pedal. I am using it on an old amp my mom had in her attic, a Peavey Studio Pro 112. Do you think this pedal will work well with this amp? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as this pedal is relatively expensive (for me). Thanks guys!

You won't regret it. The brownface trem and the reverb are outstanding!

Which option on the pedal is brownface trem?

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Which option on the pedal is brownface trem?

It's the '61 Harm setting.

OFF TOPIC!
In light of the 'dripgate' scandal of the blind reverb test, I've found putting the Flint 60s reverb at 2pm and running an EQ before it with about 3db bumps in the 4 and 8 kHz area helps get some good drip off it. Jus' sayin'....

Thanks, maximumsurfandroll. Everything else you said afterward is all Greek to me! Laughing

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015 15:43:56

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6