Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink The 4th Annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention, Sat. Aug. 13th, 2011, reviews start on page 17

Goto Page: Previous 1 218 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next

OK, this is the last from me. Here's a Meshugga Beach Party video from the HB Pier show:

Meshugga Beach Party: Shmata Hari

The first minute thirty seconds of this video fall under the category "Only in California." Twisted Evil

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Thanks for all of the props folks. It was pretty wacky playing a lefty for bass. I could have easily asked Steve to fill in for the last song and I could have yelled the chords too him but alas, it was not to be.

Well what can I say about this past weekend? It was fun, aside from the 7 hour drive down to L.A., haha. But honestly, I really enjoyed myself. I had fun and it was great to see and hang out with some of you SG101 folks. Some of which I had met for the first time; Brian, Doug, Ted (who was great hanging out with), Brian Fady, Carlos TequilaWorms, to many too name. But I also got to hang out with Davie Allan and talk for a while. It was pretty cool to see him perform, sounded great! I was really psyched to play and I had a great time doing so. I hope you folks enjoyed our set. It was also great to finally see Satan's Pilgrims. I was pretty much knocked out by their set (and a little drunk at this point) and man I had fun. The Pilgrims where looking sharp in their matching outfits which I really liked. Those fellas looked good with those Red button shirts. I was glad with a lot of the material they choose to play. It sounded fuckin' great! I was deff a couple of days after this whole thing. So thank you for that. Also, it was fun hanging out after at Don the Beachcomber. What a cool place and they had some real tasty drinks. Anyways I had lots of fun, Im glad we where able to make it out this year and I hope that Ben had a blast on his last weekend here in Cali. Good times had by all...

The Deadbeats

IvanP wrote:

Meshugga Beach Party: Shmata
Hari

The first minute thirty seconds of this video fall
under the category "Only in California." Twisted Evil

I figured very few, if any folks recording the bands would have this. So glad you caught it! That B-Boy was having a hell of a time trying to do his thing to this music - but that didn't stop him from trying for a couple hours. One of those "you just had to be there" odd ball things - or as you said... Only in California. True!

As for the rest of the weekend - so amazing. I feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to get there for a few days to take it all in.

I do have one regret... For whatever reason, I felt compelled to catch nearly every minute of every set. Make no mistake, the music was fantastic and there is no substitute for being there seeing it live.

That said, what clearly makes this event, and moreover this scene/community so special are the people. Especially as a rookie to the event, it was a real pleasure getting to say hello to a lot of folks and make introductions - put names/avitars/handles/faces together and whatnot (granted there were still folks I missed - Argh ). In hindsight, I wish I'd made even more time to catch up with the people more than I did. Live and learn. Next time I'll do it differently.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011 07:56:09

Words can't express how much I enjoyed this weekend, how great the music was, and how touched I was by the warmth of the people I met for the first and second time. I'm going to try to feature all the bands I saw in tonight's Reverb Hour.

Thanks to everyone who put so much work into this event.

Coz

for those of you who haven't seen this i'm posting it here. we sounded pretty good the night before when we practiced. Sigh

http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/15967/ Embarassed Sorry

www.surfintheeye.com

Did anyone get any video of The Razorblades doing Cecilia Ann? I had a friend who was supposed to join me at the show in San Diego but couldn't make it, and she's a huge Pixies fan so I wanted to show her what she missed.

Hot Summer Comes Again!
Let's Go Beach! Let's Go Beach!

The award for the most frequently played surf classic of the Convention weekend goes to:

Everybody Up!!

First played Friday night at the Purple Orchid by the Bradipos IV (Outerwave also? I can't remember now)

Then played Saturday by:
1. Surfer Joe and His Boss Combo in the morning
2. The Deadbeats in the early afternoon
3. The Bradipos IV in the late afternoon

Finally, played Sunday again by the Deadbeats and the Bradipos IV.

Isn't that interesting? Not Mr. Moto, not Squad Car, not any of the obvious ones. I think surf music may have found a new anthem!

(In the past it's been covered by the Ghastly Ones, Fifty Foot Combo, and the Madeira - though we never recorded it, just played it live. Probably some other bands, too - the Phantom Surfers, I think?)

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Abe (or any other Deadbeat in the house), I seem to remember you playing a very fast cover song at the convention which I thought came from a third wave band - maybe the Nebulas? Has my brain been scrambled by too much reverb, of did you play something like that? Maybe you could post your Saturday setlist so I could figure out what it was? (assuming you had a setlist! I know you didn't on Sunday, you buncha bums! Smile )

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

SG101 2011 Videos (including early bird shows):

Redwood: Insect Surfers - Bay of Bengal Dave Arnson explores the physical poetry of the guitar.

Redwood: Insect Surfers - Par Avion (Pell Mell)

Jam Session: Nocturne's Space Probe and Podolor's Rising Surf

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011 15:30:25

GREATEST WEEKEND EVER!!! I loved the show at Pier Plaza... It was even better when Dick Dale showed up. I have so many pictures from that moment.

Tuck!! You got that on film! Awesome!!!

Ivan, sometimes they play Dirty Sanchez, could that be it?

FritzCat wrote:

Ivan, sometimes they play Dirty Sanchez, could that be it?

Yes, I think it was! Thanks, FritzCat! A perfect fit for the Deadbeats. Sounded great among all the other super-high energy tracks.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ivan, these are the songs we played both weekends:

• Janky Jank
  • Gooch...
  • Knuckle Sandwich
  • Hagbelly
  • Obey
  • Dark March
  • Karabasan

Covers:

• Arab
  • Everybody Up
  • No Nisei Matsuri Los Angeles
  • Guts by the Surf Coasters
  • Tokyo Drifter by the Born Losers

and Sunday the extra cover was "The Cossack" and maybe "Planet of the Apehangers" by the Bomboras, a fuzz number.

The Deadbeats

I don't recall the Deadbeats playing any Nebulas tunes, but Outerwave did play Spandito Bandito on Friday.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I am probably confusing it with Planet of the Apehangers they played on Sunday. It's all becoming a blur of reverb! Smile i just remember hearing a very fast song that sounded familiar (though I didn't recognize it), and thinking it was by a third-wave band - and thinking it was pretty awesome. Must have been the Bomboras cover.

BTW, an inspired choice of covers with the Surf Coasters' "Guts"! LOVE that song! And you totally did it justice. Excellent, just excellent.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

OK!! My turn!!! I finally decompressed and played a little catch up back in "the real world", so I threw together some thoughts on the INCREDIBLE weekend I had in LA for the convention. It's long... sorry. Here ya go:

WHAT. A. WEEKEND!!

Richard, Jay, Bob and I got to LA on Friday and went straight to BigTikiDude’s house for a great BBQ and meetup. What a great way to meet people and get the weekend started well. It’s such a huge help to put faces to names, reconnect with old friends, and meet new folks and bands. Thanks to Jeff (this will of course be a major theme through all of this) for putting this on and being so welcoming!

We had every intention in the world of making our way down to San Diego to catch the show down there (REALLY want to see The Secret Samurai again!!!) but time got away from us a bit and upon finding out that on top of it all, traffic to SD on Fridays is apparently pretty heavy, we decided to stick around town and take in the show at The Purple Orchid.

Unfortunately, with “time getting away from us” being the order of the day, we missed the set by Outerwave, which I was bummed about. I saw them at Don’s last year and they are top notch! We did, however arrive just in time for the complete awesomeness that is The Bradipos IV!! All of the fuss about them is completely warranted! What an incredible sound. They are another example of the great, moody and richly textured surf and instro coming out of Europe. It’s such a distinctive and rich sound, and I absolutely love it! The Meshugga Beach Party rounded the evening out, and much like The Bradipos IV, they have a great, distinctive sound. I had never seen them before, and I find their spirit really entertaining, and their song choice really great. Unfortunately, about halfway through their set, the time change and the day’s activities had hit us all, and we decided to call it a day to at least gives us a fighting chance of making through the big day on Saturday! Smile

Given the intensity and scale of the events on Saturday, I’ll just go through it all band by band with quick thoughts. All in all, it was another winner of a day, with something for everyone, especially if, like myself, you like your surf music varied, running the spectrum of what’s out there.
Surfer Joe & His Boss Combo: A great way to start the day! I’m glad that Jeff was able to fit them in on the show. As much as I enjoyed the Wadadli Riders last year, I think this is an upgrade for Lorenzo. Looking forward to hearing more from them!
Member Jam: As always, I think this is one of the best parts of the convention day. What a great opportunity for people to play that normally don’t or for those that do to play essentially with strangers. It was a real thrill for The Mystery Men? that were there to share the stage with Dusty Watson (!!) of all people and give some love to The Penetrators. It was an incredible thrill!!
Legends Jams: Also always a treat! While it didn’t quite reach the level of last year’s legends Jam, it’s really great to be able to witness what really are legends in this genre! I also liked having the focus of the 2 bands this year.
Davie Allan: I have to admit that I have never had a tremendous amount of exposure to Davie Allan (or really much ‘fuzz’ for that matter... it’s a harder sell to me), but boy oh boy am I glad that I got to see him! I feel like I should seek out as much of his material as possible now, because it was totally awesome! Also being able to witness the him getting his award was pretty great.
The Blue Demons: Unfortunately, I missed most of their set as I was spending money like a drunken sailor in the merch room (and inadvertently did the same thing on Sunday when I had to go across the street to CVS because one of my eyes decided to go NUTS, and I needed some quick treatment. Bad timing all around it seems). I can say this above anything else: What super awesome guys! Great senses of humor, as friendly as could be, and from what I DID hear, enthusiastic players with a hot sound!
The Deadbeats: WOW! One of the highlights of the weekend to me! Completely blew me away! The EP is also completely great (big ups to Ferenc on that on top of The Tomorrowmen CD!! whew!)! As everyone keeps saying to them: PLEASE DON’T STOP PLAYING! I felt like kind of an insane person because I went to introduce myself to the guys, and immediately started snapping at them not to break up! Just goes to show what am impression they made.
The Cocktail Preachers: One of a couple of bands that had tough acts to follow, but they did a fine job! I really enjoy their rock n roll spirit providing a little something extra to the norm. Killer version of Rocketship XL-3. Considering how good they sounded (both days), I’d love to witness them with their full lineup.
Meshugga Beach Party: Now that I was more rested, I relished in the opportunity to experience the MBP with some clarity and fresh ears! Great song choices, fantastic melodies, and consistently interesting sounds. They have taken what could have been a one-off experiment and made it into one solid act! Glad I got to catch them 3 (well 2.5 anyway) times while I was out here!
The Tequila Worms: Having stepped out for some fresh air and general break to my senses, I missed the first couple of songs, but when I got back in, I was witness to another highlight of the weekend to me! I hope to hear MUCH more from these guys in the future. Sooner than later, please! UNBELIEVABLE version of The Penetrators’ Melodie’s Dilemma. Super impressive.
The Bradipos IV: More of the same from the night before. These guys went 3 for 3 over the weekend, and when they were off stage, they were proving what great and friendly guys they are! I’m fortunate to have been able to see them as much as I did.
Daikaiju: I found this fascinating. I’ve seen Daikaiju about a billion times, and consider them friends. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see how this crowd was going to respond to them. I know it was pretty divided, but from my perspective the crowd really ate it up! Same thing happened Sunday at the pier. They are a great group of guys and one HELL of a band! Glad to see them turn some heads. Smile
The Razorblades: This was another case where a band had a seriously tough act to follow. Thankfully, The Razorblades are an explosion of energy and fire and really kept the level up! They are decidedly not a trad surf band with their blend of punk and straight rock, but I like what they had to add to the spectrum of the weekend.
SATAN’S PILGRIMS!!: This was my first time seeing these guys, and I found it as incredible an experience as I could have imagined. What a HUGE SOUND. Tight as can be, too. It was so great to have so many songs that I love come to life before me! They are one of my favorite bands in the world, and I had resigned to the idea that I would never have the chance to see them live. SO glad that I got the chance. I savored every minute of it. Smile

The icing on the cake of this day was Slacktone at Don’s. It was WAY crowded, but I didn’t mind so much. Slacktone has a way of making MANY things better! Big Grin At this point in the day (with the help of some uber yummy Don’s libations) things became a bit of a blur, but a good blur for sure. Jay and I were staying with the party animal that is Jim Frias, so our night did not end with Don’s! We still had to search around for late night grub! What a joyous whirlwind of a day!!

The pier show on Sunday was more of the same from the day before, but with sun, waves and a nice breeze (not to mention more than a little great scenery). Hell, even Dick Dale showed up for a little while! As has also been said here, I must say that I find The Wave Machine at Don’s a GREAT way to unwind at the end of the weekend. It’s so great to be able to kick back with friends, do a little jamming, and just generally bask in the afterglow of the killer weekend. BIG thanks to Matt Quilter for doing this (as well as providing all of that FANTASTIC GEAR for the weekend)!

Once again, MAJOR congrats to Jeff BigTikiDude for putting this all together, and to TikiTena for all of the hard work with promotions. It’s tireless work doing all of this, but I think it’s fair to call this another crushing success! As long as I’m able, I will not miss this event!

josheboy wrote:

Tuck!! You got that on film! Awesome!!!

You mean Dave "Apache Dances with Guitars" Arnson? The few times I have seen him play he is always exploring the physical poetry thing to the hilt in ways that Townshend himself might well envy. I gather that this is not the first time the results have involved an awesome (near?) fatality among the instruments.

Was that really Martin's guitar he picked up next? I think he was kidding! Is the guitar in surgery yet? Is there hope?

IvanP wrote:

The award for the most frequently played surf classic
of the Convention weekend goes to:

Everybody Up!!

First played Friday night at the Purple Orchid by the
Bradipos IV (Outerwave also? I can't remember now)

Then played Saturday by:
1. Surfer Joe and His Boss Combo in the morning
2. The Deadbeats in the early afternoon
3. The Bradipos IV in the late afternoon

Finally, played Sunday again by the Deadbeats and the
Bradipos IV.

Isn't that interesting? Not Mr. Moto, not Squad Car,
not any of the obvious ones. I think surf music may
have found a new anthem!

(In the past it's been covered by the Ghastly Ones,
Fifty Foot Combo, and the Madeira - though we never
recorded it, just played it live. Probably some other
bands, too - the Phantom Surfers, I think?)

Ivan, yes it's a great song and real fun to play. It's seems as though all the good bands choose to play this one. Smile

Anyways, to add to your list of bands that have covered it. Check out this version that I've uploaded by The Uninvited: http://soundcloud.com/abe88/the-uninvited-everybody-up They're an Italian surf trio outta Italy. They where active during the mid to late 90's. The guitarist is Pigi The Hangee V. Check it out I think you might like it!

The Deadbeats

Ruhar wrote:

I had my son with me and was afraid he
wouldn't be able to make it the entire day. But, after
seeing his reaction, I think he would have been just
fine!

I have to say that I was completely preoccupied by your son with his giant blue earplugs. He was JAZZED!! He seemed to be having an absolute BLAST! What a cool kid!

Did anybody else dig the lighting this year? What an
improvement over years past!!

I absolutely did! I see the most improvement in pictures. Everything didn't come out all pink. The new lighting just spiced it all up. I was glad to see it. Smile

I'll have my pictures and some video up as soon as I can (hopefully within the week

Goto Page: Previous 1 218 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next