Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Picks!!!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 217 18 19 20 2131 32 Next

I put a small piece of skate tape on my picks to give a grip that won't slip even when sweaty. I vary from Fender thins, mediums, and heavys, as well as red Jazz IIIs...but always experimenting.

Frank

"Hey, loan me $20 but only give me $10....that way you will still owe me $10, and I'd owe you $10 so we would be even....."

I haven't bought a pick in over 15 years. I work in a rock and roll bar, I pick them up off the stage after every band leaves

Amazed to note, after reading all these entries, that so many 'surf' players mention using the red JAZZ III plectrum. I thought I was the only one who liked them. I bought a handful when I first discovered them a few years back. I use them for recording mostly, as they are too small for stage work.

For years I used Fender Mediums (an awesome plectrum) and also those black Gibson large 3 cornered ones that every music store used to carry.

Right now I'm using a Dunlop Tortex .50 plectrum. It's bright sounding and seems to reduce fore-arm cramp when executing Miserlou and Tube City.

I use a hard to find heavy Fender size #451- which is a downsized Fender #351 from Pick World; who printed my band name on them for an extra $20.00.

http://www.pickworld.com/

I then take them outside to the concrete sidewalk and scrape the edges up real good; to create knife-like serrations that excite the strings much like a violin bow does. I get richer harmonic tone from them when used at a slight angle to the strings. It does not work on flat-wounds, however.

Dusty Twangdude

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013 19:31:31

Twangdude inspired me to create and put in an order the following. They are on .80mm white Delrin(which tortex is made from). I hope they are as good as Tortex. I got my from claytoncustom.com. Very easy to order from, both if you know what you are doing graphically and if you don't know what you are doing, very friendly pick builder.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013 21:52:37

Excellent!
Others can see my picks at the Drip Grinders ReverbNation link.

Dusty Twangdude

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013 13:11:12

I loose picks constantly! Has anyone come up with a solution to this unfortunate trend?

Samosurfer wrote:

I loose picks constantly! Has anyone come up with a solution to this unfortunate trend?

Buy a lot of them... I keep them in my pocket, and I own a lot so I don't worry about losing them. I don't really lose them, if I lose a pick it is because I used it as a tool and ruined it.

I'm too vain to do this on my guitars, but Dick Dale has a pick dispenser stuck on his famous Strat. With all the staccato double-picking he does, I guess it makes sense.

I keep spare picks stuck between the P-90 pickups and the pickguard where I can reach them quickly.

Dusty Twangdude

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013 13:09:27

Somebody just needs to give Dick a Tortex or Ultex pick.

Been using Clayton 1.52's since the late 90's I think you'll like 'em. If not, they look cool and you can toss 'em from the stage :o)

This is an obviously self-made pick cut from a CDR. It has the cool look of broken glass. It is polycarbonate, a particularly strong and rigid plastic that is used for fireman's helmets and plastic lenses in eyeglasses. I cut it with emergency medical shears, smoothed the cut edges with a knife blade, and peeled the CDR recording surface with the knife edge. Each of the three sides is about 1-3/8" long.

It sounds terrific, with great clarity but not harshness. However it is far more rigid than the Ultex 0.73 pick, which I had thought was rigid. Its rigidity exhausted my finger strength within a couple of minutes on songs that had never tired my fingers before. It seemed more tiring on high strings. This finger tiring was very surprising--and very obvious.

This is an excellent bass guitar pick, especially for rapid playing. And the price is right. I could cut 5 or 6 of these from one CDR disc.

The pick is absolutely flat. Any appearance of curvature is because the cloth underneath it in the photo is not flat.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013 15:38:25

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here also play mostly fingerstyle or is it just me? I constantly lose picks to the point that I just adapted to using my fingers about 75% of the time. I'm not an orthodox "classical" player by any means, and I usually use my fore-fingernail and thumb in a "picking motion" with an occasional "up-stroke" or "pluck" from any of my other 3 fingers.

I do use picks every now and then when I have them, and I generally prefer really thick picks, like Dunlop "Big Stubby" or any 1.14mm or larger pick. Funnily enough, I prefer to play bass with a pick, as I feel more consistent with it. That may also be why I generally use thick picks, as I seem to always have had plenty of bass picks lying around. I'd really like to give these Graphtech picks a shot one day though. I used a Graphtech saddle on an acoustic and was pleasantly pleased.

For Punchy Bass

For Warm Bass

For Punchy Guitar

For Warmer Guitar

Kian wrote:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here also play mostly fingerstyle or is it just me?

Over the past year I have been fingerpicking, but on a minority of songs. When I do I alternate fingers 2 and 3 for most notes, 2 & 3 & 4 for some phrases, and 1 thru 4 for arpeggios, notes with arpeggios, and full fingerstyle (i.e., bass plus lead). I play the classic "Wheels" with full fingerstyle. I play a medley of Classical Gas & Walk Don't Run fingerpicked. However, most of my songs are too percussive and fast to fingerpick on metal strings.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013 17:31:54

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here also play mostly fingerstyle or is it just me?

I'm new both to Surf music and electric guitar , but I'v played Flamenco music for 7 years.

I bought 2 Jazz III picks some time ago but it simply doesn't work for me.

Of course I need to practice pick using, but I like using my finger nails: I use mainly a Flamenco technique called Picado (striking fast with i and a fingers) and for tremolo, I hold my index finger tip with my thumb and middle finger as if it was a pick.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013 03:34:19

Mark2Bra wrote:

I'm new both to Surf music and electric guitar , but I'v played Flamenco music for 7 years.

I bought 2 Jazz III picks some time ago but it simply don't work for me.

Of course I need to practice pick using, but I like using my finger nails: I use mainly a Flamenco technique called Picado (striking fast with i and a fingers) and for tremolo, I hold my index finger tip with my thumb and middle finger as if it was a pick.

The last technique (i.e. what you use for tremolo) is what I generally used before now, as I cannot find the time to order any new picks. I tried learning Flamenco, but I eventually gave up and developed a style more like playing a bass.

As a funny anecdote, I'm naturally left handed and a knuckleball pitcher so I constantly have to have my left hand nails well-kempt, as k-ball is reliant upon having a good smooth fingernail on the index and middle fingers.

However, I play guitar right handed, so I always have longer nails on my glove (right) hand. It really freaks my buddies out when I take off my glove and have half-moons on my fingertips, as generally pitchers trim the glove nails off flush.

Unfortunately, the other week I found out why they trim them flush, as I chipped the holy hell out of my index nail trying to put it in my glove. Due to this, I've currently gotten back into playing with a thin-for-my-tastes-pick I borrowed from a friend until I can either regrow my nail or find a much more comfy pick. Cry

Last edited: Oct 08, 2013 01:23:07

as I chipped the holy hell out of my index nail trying to put it in my glove

Yes , i know that situation.
I actually managed to pass my whole army combat service with nails on my right hand. At the beginning I broke them quite often , but then I started to use a really tough nail hardener that kept them in one peace.

Anyway , I started using the Jazz III pick (cause I think I saw Jim from the Atlantics using them) . And after 7 years of playing with fingers it feels really awkward.

The reason I decided to switch to a pick is because when playing with fingernails (altering between i and a) the flash under the nail is muting the string - good if you play Flamenco or maybe Classic guitar but not for Surf , where you want the notes to ring as much as possible (or at least that my impression is)

Edit: This pick noise on the strings (cluck, cluck) is driving me nuts! I'm attacking the strings with an angle but it doesn't help. Is that normal?

Cheers ,
Mark.

Last edited: Oct 08, 2013 14:29:05

Mark2Bra wrote:

The reason I decided to switch to a pick is because when playing with fingernails (altering between i and a) the flash under the nail is muting the string - good if you play Flamenco or maybe Classic guitar but not for Surf , where you want the notes to ring as much as possible (or at least that my impression is)

Edit: This pick noise on the strings (cluck, cluck) is driving me nuts! I'm attacking the strings with an angle but it doesn't help. Is that normal?

Cheers ,
Mark.

I feel ya on that one. It's even worse if you put a little dirt on your amp, as you'll start getting a bunch of random pitch harmonics along with your mutes. If you're laying down some Slayer it's awesome. Not so much when you're doing "Ghost Riders in the Sky." Johnny Cash and Zakk Wylde were not meant to mix. XD

I'm having the same problem with pick noise, I figured it was because I used roundwounds and was going to switch to flats, but I have tapewounds on my bass and I still have a ton of pick noise. I think it must have something to do with how hard I pick, but if anyone has any input for Mark and I, I would appreciate it.

Hell Guitars are the ones I use now. Specifically the 1mm and 2mm. Love them. Cool

Ok , a small update: I ended up using the Dunlop Gel L and the Tortex 0.6 .

Eventually I accepted he fact I'll get some noise from the pick.

I really like the Gel , mainly cause it is fast for double picking.

However , these are easily breaking. I don't think I'm holding them that strong , but one simply spited in half on its length and the second one got 2 cracks now.

Anyone who tried the Gels - is it normal?

Cheers,
Mark.

Goto Page: Previous 1 217 18 19 20 2131 32 Next