Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Picks!!!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 213 14 15 16 1731 32 Next

Just by coincidence I picked up some of the dunlop 1.0 mm picks a few days ago to try out, and I like them a lot.

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

Wow...is it me or is the pick issue THEE most subjective issue ever! I'm finding it difficult to cull any real wisdom from this topic! Strings play such a crucial role! As does muscle tone! and MOOD! Oh well: I used the 60-80mm dunlop vinyls for years and years.....but since I started with surf like 10 yrs ago I've deemed them too dull for Surf. Now I use the huge triangle picks around .50mm. The big size combined with symmetry allow for sloppiness especially when flipping those pup selectors and reaching for the vibrato bar!

Samosurfer wrote:

> Wow...is it me or is the pick issue THEE most
> subjective issue ever!

I don't know...try reading the thread about what is "real" surf Wink

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

DNAdude wrote:

Samosurfer wrote:

> Wow...is it me or is the pick issue THEE most
> subjective issue ever!

I don't know...try reading the thread about what is
"real" surf Wink

Not quite finding that....Link me....I just found something about a wacky surf board geektar!

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of seeing Secret Samurai play. Ryan, of course, had been picking away in his usual OMGHOWDOESHEDOTHAT fashion, so I went up to him after the show and asked him about the pick he used. He showed me and even gave me the pick. I went home and tried it, and it really had an instant impact on my attack. It had the perfect balance between firm and flex, and the grip is awesome.

Its the Jim Dunlop 1mm Nylon pick. And it is now my new official pick.

Give it a try!

real surf hu? I'm probably putting my head on the chopping block here but I think I can sum that up pretty tightly....

1-Must be danceable (Usually with surf beat)
2-double picking and/or staccato guitar melodies
3-lots of verb
4-vibrato bar
5-instrumental (with vox = Beach music)

these are not prerequisites but rather predominant "Traits" of "Surf! Rock"! How'd ah doo ma???

josheboy wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of seeing
Secret Samurai play. Ryan, of course, had been picking
away in his usual OMGHOWDOESHEDOTHAT fashion, so I went
up to him after the show and asked him about the pick
he used. He showed me and even gave me the pick. I went
home and tried it, and it really had an instant impact
on my attack. It had the perfect balance between firm
and flex, and the grip is awesome.

Its the Jim Dunlop 1mm Nylon pick. And it is now my new
official pick.

Give it a try!

Yes....I used to use those in my dark pre-surf days. I might still have one somewhere. What gauge strings do you use....cause my trouble is with breaking the damn things too often! I've recently switched to 12 gauge so the softness of such a thick pick might be interesting right now!!!! Thanks for that! They sure are economical!!!! and hey....if it's good enuf for James P. Page.....

Samosurfer wrote:

Yes....I used to use those in my dark pre-surf days. I
might still have one somewhere. What gauge strings do
you use....cause my trouble is with breaking the damn
things too often! I've recently switched to 12 gauge so
the softness of such a thick pick might be interesting
right now!!!! Thanks for that! They sure are
economical!!!! and hey....if it's good enuf for James
P. Page.....

I use 11 flats. I'd go up to 12, but my fingers fail enough at 11s, I dont want to push it Razz

I'll be honest, when he first gave me that pick I was like "Really? You use this dull plain ugly cheap thing?" but then I went home and tried it. Now i use these dull plain ugly cheap things!!
Guitar

josheboy wrote:

I'll be honest, when he first gave me that pick I was
like "Really? You use this dull plain ugly cheap
thing?" but then I went home and tried it. Now i use
these dull plain ugly cheap things!!
Guitar

Thumbs Up
Glad they're working out for ya!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

i got some of those new dunlop nylon "max grips" and i really like them. like brain picks but even more grip. if those nylon picks start slipping give those max grips a try.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

I'm surprised more of you guys don't like lighter picks... My go to are the fender speckled thin picks (I play round 11's). Sure, they break from time to time but thats why I have a lot of them! When I started, I found double picking to be much easier with a thinner pick. But maybe I should try a harder one now that I've improved a bit (for improved attack/drip, perhaps?)...

Lighter picks are easier to start with, but migrating to a heavier pick was natural for me. It gives the wrist/hands more control, which is something I like.

alt text

Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, especially for a bass player, I use Jim Dunlop Jazz III's exclusively. I think it's a carry-over from my Metal days when I would file down the tip of a Fender Extra Heavy to obtain a more precise attack. I've found the heaviness, tiny size and point allow for more efficient movement and again, a very precise attack.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Jazz IIIs are great picks. I use them from time to time.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Strings are 52-12s so I use medium or heavy picks for people with fat fingers! Cool
image Sorry can't get picture to post correctly, but you can see them at
Elderly Instruments

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011 13:12:13

i used jazz iiis in my metal days too. that and dunlop stubbies. with bigger strings and less shredding i'm liking normal size picks again.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

The DAVA Control by Dave Storey is an amazing pick. A "heavy" and flexible light-medium all at the same time.

I have tried all kindsa stuffs too... and I got a med/thin Celluloid freebie from a Ebay purchase, I have stuck to it since I got it.. I have other thicker and thinner celluloids, but this one just feels right...

Cool Eric Von Zipper Cool

"I come here to tell you that these beach bums is bums."

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011 18:31:56

Currently I'm digging these. They've really helped my tremelo picking come along.

https://kingpelican.bandcamp.com/

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011 00:48:53

This is my favourite pick ... quite unusual, but I like it !!

Docteur Legume Et Les Surfwerks

http://doclegume.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/doclegume

"We're gonna draw a little bit of everybody's blood 'cause we're gonna find out who's THE THING"

Goto Page: Previous 1 213 14 15 16 1731 32 Next