Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Favorite Vocal by an Instrumental Surf Band

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

drumuitar

crumble
Surfin' Crow by the Jades
or..
Tally-Ho by the Surf Coasters - Yeeah!

I don't know if I'd consider Surfin Crow, or stuff like Church Key as vocal numbers.

I agree with crumble, even though there's voice on those songs they're still instros. In my book, the Trashmen are the big winners when it come to surf/ hot rod vocal themes.

Benny
Money - The Trashmen

Ha! I kind of like the <u>Astronaut's</u> Money. They chug through it, and then, what the heck, they start up again and do it even better.

I think you have to consider "vocal by an instro band" in a rather liberal sense. Something has to be said, sung, grunted, exclaimed, etc., preferably something decipherable. A full blown song is fine, but almost over elaborate. By these standards Wipeout (of the actual Surfaris) is a vocal. I treasure those little dribblets of human vocalization as much as some full length lyrics.

Does anyone have the lyrics for Move It?

Have the forbidden verses of the Crossfires' 30 minute version of What'd I Say survived?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010 14:32:15

** Bob Denver - Ho Daddy (so corny, and sorta lame, ya gotta love it)

Beach Nuts - Out In The Sun (not really surf, but love the song all the same, evokes the thought of a fun day at the beach and of course out in the sun)

Crossfires - Santa And The Sidewalk Surfer

http://tunefan.com
http://www.youtube.com/tunefan

shivers13
Okay, I know this is favorite vocal by an instro band thread but I thought I'd throw in some surf/hot rod vocals that I'm obsessed with just because they rule!!

Malibu Run - Gary Lewis and The Playboys
Red Hot Roadster - The Rip Chords
Let's go to the Beach - Larry and The Loafers
Go-Go Yamaha - The Spats
Cycle Set - Donna Loren
R.P.M. - The Four Speeds

Yeah, I too wanted to throw in some favorite surf/hot rod vocals no matter if they were done by a mainly instro band or not. Great selections on your list. We played both "Let's Go To The Beach" and "R.P.M." in the Daytonas and also recorded the former for our 1993 album Ready Set Go!.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

• Shortnin Bread by Ready Men
  • My Baby Left Me by the Yetti Men (check the split single on Norton Records with both these songs)

Not sure if we can call Surf but I would consider a great vocal theme:
- Dance Franny Dance by Floyd Dakil Combo on Jetstar Records
- I Don't Want You No More by the Rumblers (flipside of their Boss 7")

Already referred previously with Surfer Crow, The Jades also have great vocal themes such as Blue Black Hair and Little Marlene but I'm not sure if we can call it Surf.

As I've said before on this thread, the Trashmen are the real champions when it comes to Surf/ Hot Rod vocal themes. Check:
- King of the Surf
- Bird Dance Beat
- My Woodie
- Real Live Doll
- Dancin' with Santa
also their version of Beach Boy's Be True to Your School

Just need to add to my late list this one:

• El Monstruoso by Los Shains

Cause I've heard it this morning on the train:

• Showmen's stomp by Eddie & the Showmen

King of the Surf Guitar - Dick Dale

Surfin' Hootenanny by Al Casey.

Tuck,
my 2 cents on the matter
I wouldn't call a INstro with a little bit of talking at the begging or in the middle, or the occasional chant, a Vocal song.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

surfgtrnut
King of the Surf Guitar - Dick Dale

Stormtiger
Surfin' Hootenanny by Al Casey.

These with Darlene Love and the Blossoms are my favorites too.

Having said that, I think The Finks do the best "The Crusher" since the original. Cracks me up every time. Roowwwrrrrr Do the Hammerlock you turkey necks!

I still love the "Twomp" by the ventures!!! although a lot of ventures fans really detest Don Wilson singing.

Some more to consider:

"Rhythm & Greens" by the Shadows--- Do shouts and a duck whistle count as a vocal?

"Good Rockin' Tonight"- Link Wray

"New Orleans" The Rapiers

vicar, i'd also like to add 'ruby baby' by link wray to your list

www.surfintheeye.com

mom_surfing

Link Wray's vocals rule! "Hidden Charms" and "Can your Monkey do the Dog" are some of my favorites. Love the growling, Garage Punk sound of his voice. Reminds me of THEM.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

shivers13

mom_surfing

Link Wray's vocals rule! "Hidden Charms" and "Can your Monkey do the Dog" are some of my favorites. Love the growling, Garage Punk sound of his voice. Reminds me of THEM.

Ain't that lovin' you babe and Deacon Jones are pretty cool too!

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

bigtikidude
I wouldn't call a INstro with a little bit of talking at the begging or in the middle, or the occasional chant, a Vocal song.

I agree with you up to a point. It's not suddenly Richard Thompson because you add a few catcalls or a laugh. I notice most of the examples offered here go with more words rather than fewer.

I also admit to a certain facetiousness in including in the category of vocals some of the things I have included. But, as you know, Stoked without "Stoked." is like a Vegan ham and cheese sandwich. The words or whatever are definitely there and contributing something.

So, how many words does it take before it's a vocal? How many words before it's not an instrumental?

I'm definitely open to better classification. Maybe it is less the number words than the functional properties of the words?

bigtikidude
Tuck,
my 2 cents on the matter

Can we all agree that "Wipe Out" is not a vocal?

I hate to be a buzzkill for ya Tuck, but I'm with BTD and elrey. A few words shouted in a instro doesn't make it a vocal. But does it really matter? It doesn't much to me since I like both vocal and instro surf.

skeeter

shivers13

mom_surfing

Ain't that lovin' you babe and Deacon Jones are pretty cool too!

Love Link's "Ain't that Lovin' You, babe". I was giving that a listen today!

elreydlp

bigtikidude
Tuck,
my 2 cents on the matter

Can we all agree that "Wipe Out" is not a vocal?

yeah and I wouldn't call Let's Go Trippin By DD a vocal song either.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next