Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink MOD reverb tanks?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

I've plugged and unplugged RCA plugs many, many times and never had one break off before.

Palm-muting is one thing... you can get pretty much any spring or digital emulation thereof to produce a splash when palm muting. For me, the true test of a surf reverb is if it can produce a thick yet focused, tight, splashy sound when tremolo picking.

My experience with MOD tanks (pans) is on my 2nd-hand 2nd-gen Blues Jr that the previous owner had swapped the stock Accutronics pan for. Whereas Blues Jrs typically have enough splash and bite in their reverb to be useable for a somewhat surfy sound, with the MOD tank the reverb is totally dull and washed out -- lacks the presence and does nothing to accentuate picking that I'd normally associate with a good Fender reverb sound. Really disappointing. Sucks the joy right out of my tremolo picking.

Now my '63 Reissue tank needs a pan replacement (one of the sets of springs disappeared somehow) and so I'm super skeptical about the various options. With Accutronics USA shut down, I guess there's not an option of simply going back to what I had. I don't know if the larger 4AB3C1C or 4AB3C1B replacement offerings from MOD offer better characteristics than what I experienced in my Blues J, but from what people have posted here I'm skeptical.

Monsters From Mars
http://monstersfrommars.com

I have the Accutronics pan(s) and a MOD pan...after reading some of these posts the other day I decided to put the MOD back in my RI tank...sounds great...a little "warmer" than the Accutronics...It's kind of like the different guitars I have...I'll use one for several months and then pick up another and use it for awhile...I do that with the reverb pans too and I think it's just a matter of what you like at the time you're thinking about it.

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

I tried out the MOD pan in my old DRRI after hearing a real blackface deluxe reverb. The reissue reverb was not even close to the real deal. When I put in the MOD tank, the drip improved slightly, but the main thing I noticed was how much more reverb was on tap now. "3" with the MOD tank is about "6" with the Accutronics. If you play with a lot of reverb, this is good. Personally, I found it less usable and less controllable so I took it out.

Glad I scored a good deal on a real 1965 in the end!

Received my Mod 3 spring pan and installed it today. More reverb and drip at lower sttings. Guitar tone knob now is more of a factor now. The sound is definately not the same as the two spring (not necessarily better or worse). Perhaps two reverb units are in my future.

The main thing I've found to get more drip out of your verb is using a lower quality 12at7 for your reverb driver tube. Sounds crazy but trust me! I had a NOS Mullard CV4024 in my reverb driver and when I put a JJ at7 in there, it became drip city. All that splashy goodness was there.
It just depends on what you like. For me the NOS Mullard was more controllable. You get the drip at higher levels of reverb, but for lower levels it sits nicely and balances with your guitar volume. The JJ was splashing at 4 or 5 in my deluxe reverb to the point where it sounded like an outboard unit. YMMV

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3