Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink 'The Break'

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Stormtiger
This is the best thing since Vegemite.

LMAO!!!! Thats awesome. Laughing

Fin Doctors
Crashmatics

BigKen
These guys can really kick it. Glad you turned us on to them brandonio!!!
I dig 'em!

It was our man in Australia, Oestmann who brought this to our attention. Thanks mate!

Ooops... my bad. Thanks Tim!!!! Smile

Fin Doctors
Crashmatics

Actually I posted the news of this band on facebook so....

Reverb, It's A Way Of Life!

brandonio

I missed that over there. Anyway it was Oestmann who started this thread and has been keeping us updated so thanks Tim.

I'm OK with it, it's good that the news gets out, whoever posts it. TodayThis article appeared on facebook via The Break's page (from the Sydney Morning Herald). You might find the references from an Aussie point of view on 'surf music' interesting.

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

that would be great if they came over here to play.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

brandonio

Brandonio - gratefully acknowledged!

I somehow missed this short interview and 'live in the studio' from 21 February 2010 my apologies! It is still worth a listen. Once again it was sitting on The Break's facebook page (linked by a fan) if you are into FB: ABC Sunday Performer

Let me know if you get sick of the updates Rolling Eyes

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

Tim keep the posts coming, this band I believe will be pretty huge in the surf/instro world we all know and love.I for one am reading all your posts,and updates.

Reverb, It's A Way Of Life!

Cheers Brandonio Smile

It might surprise some of you but I actually DO have a life (away from the 'net) - but it is one of my routines to check a few sites everyday - which brings me to the latest from The Break's twitter:
Reverb Magazine and also The sun herald and city news sydney

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

I was thinking that this could possibly give surf music a boost again.
Probably not as big or the same as the Pulp Fiction boost.
But maybe a re-awareness to surf by some people that have forgotten about it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

digging The Break...looking forward to updates...

Dp (and other The Break interested)- here's your update! This is probably the best page for regular updates - and I don't think you need to be a Facebook user to see all the information either - so you could bookmark if you wanted to:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Break/285113836188?ref=nf

cheers

Tim O

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

nice, we supported The Break in our hometown just south of Sydney, they are pretty rad live! unfortunately i think a few songs are a bit slow for the pub scene, but they have some real killer tracks that got everyone stompin'

http://www.myspace.com/motherandsonmusic

Blackbear
nice, we supported The Break in our hometown just south of Sydney, they are pretty rad live! unfortunately i think a few songs are a bit slow for the pub scene, but they have some real killer tracks that got everyone stompin'

Well, Blackbear, supporting them is something that not everyone can say they've done Wink

I picked up the CD today and sounds great in a non-pub atmosphere.
I've booked to see them in May...so, you'll hear a bit more from me then. Thanks for posting your experience.

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

My CD arrived and it is everything I hoped for. It's going to take a while to digest because it isn't all clean and pretty melodies, there is some thunderous and wonderful racket and a lot of twists. The first two songs after the intro (both on Myspace) alone are worth the price. They seem to have referenced everyone from Link Wray, Joe Meek, The Atlantics, Dick Dale, Spy, Spaghetti, Los Straitjackets, The Mermen and even the Surfin' Priest of Huntington Beach without copying them. Looks like they've been paying attention. Great to see they are playing Wedding Cake Island in their live set.

Two more reviews of the CD (which is getting a good spin here) Wink

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

Radio interview from ten days ago - sorry about the delay. With drummer Rob Hirst on Australian national radio ABC - here

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

Brian Ritchie radio interview ABC Brisbane

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

Blackbear

I was finally privileged to go and see The Break perform 'live' at 'the gov' on Friday night.
They were supporting The Hoodoo Gurus and came on first. It was a fairly intimate club atmosphere, so we were able to get up nice and close to the stage to see the whites of their eyes, as the merciless onslaught began.

They thumped and pumped their way through the numbers on the CD and threw in a few new ones/covers also. The combination of the classic surf sound mixed with spy and occasional monk chants actually worked really well live.

Besides the roaring music, I was also impressed with the great vibe the band had with the audience on stage and off. These guys could be supping on grain fed lamb shanks on an tropical island somewhere; but obviously still -love-to play music, respect their audience, and delivered a top show.

In response to Blackbear's comment "bit slow for the pub scene" I'd say it would depend on who the audience is. The Adelaide turn up were into it the whole way through. I noticed that as soon as people heard the band start playing a few numbers, they all came inside and crammed the club. There were a few ladies doing shaking dance thang too. So it was danceable.

Having seen The Atlantics perform and now The Break. There are similarities and differences both excellent in their own way - both great bands 'live' well worth seeing. Another great day in Aussie music Wink

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next