Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink FUZZY AND WILD... here comes the FUZZ!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Klas wrote:

Here's a little preview clip of what we're up to right
now with side project Angry Breed for our upcoming
split EP with the Hangee V. Song is called "Sickle
Girl
".

Very cool, thanks!!
looking forward to it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks guys. We think the EP is going to turn out really cool including great looking cover artwork by Shawn Dickinson.

Abe wrote:

Klas, this sounds awesome. I can't wait to get this
Split 7" and listen to some more fuzz. Im curious to
hear what Pigi's got in store for us as well.

Thanks and I too look forward to hear what the Hangees come up with. I heard from Pigi yesterday that they are going to record their two songs this very evening. One instro and one vocal.

Abe wrote:

I've posted this somewhere here before, but here's 2
incomplete fuzz monsters that I'm working on:

Mean Streets;
http://soundcloud.com/abe88/mean-streets-by-abraham

Booze, Broads and Bikes!;
http://soundcloud.com/abe88/booze-broads-and-bikes

Especially "Mean Streets" is great as I've mentioned here before I think. Cool title as well.

Abe wrote:

BTW, "Booze, Broads and Bikes" would be a great title
for an all Instro Fuzz compilation. One day maybe.
Hmm...

Yeah, such a comp could definitely be a cool thing if done right.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas wrote:

Thanks and I too look forward to hear what the Hangees
come up with. I heard from Pigi yesterday that they are
going to record their two songs this very evening. One
instro and one vocal.

Yeah I just got an eMail from him as well. They're doing some overdubs today I believe. This Split 7" needs to be released sooner!

Klas wrote:

Especially "Mean Streets" is great as I've mentioned
here before I think. Cool title as well.

Thanks. I'm still working on that one. I'm kinda stuck but I'll find something good to add to it.

Klas wrote:

Yeah, such a comp could definitely be a cool thing if
done right.

Yeah I would love to see something like this out one day (all it takes is a little interest and couple of fuzz addicts to start this thing). I've had this idea for over a year. The artwork would have to be similar to that of the 60's biker film posters, sounds clips from movies (maybe), band bio's and great music of course. I've already got a list of bands in my head. Haha!

The Deadbeats

Oh, I almost forgot. Here's some exciting news from my favorite losers from Barcelona, Spain; Born Losers:

Born Losers wrote:

Our next LP album, CYCLE GUITARS, is ready for mastering, thanks to the great production of Mike Mariconda and sound engineering of Marc Tena, BEWARE, THE FUZZ IS COMIN' TO YOU!!!

Born Losers wrote:

It's being prepared for release through a sub-label of Penniman Records, let's hope it's out on the streets by late spring!

I'm pretty excited for this LP. I've been waiting 3 years for this thing. Attached is a video of The Born Losers playing an original called, "Be Seeing You". Great fuzz lines on this one. Enjoy!

The Deadbeats

Hi there guys!

Yeah, CYCLE GUITARS, Born Losers' new LP is now ready for its release, we're working on the last touches (cover design, etc..), and it will be out on vinyl and CD on Penniman Records.

If any of you guys is starting that fuzzy compilation, get in touch with us, it would be great to work out something for it!

PD: that "Angry Breed" song sounds awesome! Glad to hear that is gonna be out on a seven incher, and with thee mighty Hangee V! cool, and Abe's songs are also great.

cheers!

Danny

"flash don't make cash" - Steve Cropper

Born Losers on facebook
Born Losers on bandcamp
The Excitements on facebook
The Kongsmen on facebook

Abe wrote:

Klas wrote:

Especially "Mean Streets" is great as I've mentioned
here before I think. Cool title as well.

Thanks. I'm still working on that one. I'm kinda stuck but I'll find something good to add to it.

Sounds pretty finished to me, just repeat what you already have and there's your tune! Maybe add some variation for the second half like a key change or playing the lead an octave higher.

Klas wrote:

Yeah, such a comp could definitely be a cool thing if
done right.

Yeah I would love to see something like this out one day (all it takes is a little interest and couple of fuzz addicts to start this thing). I've had this idea for over a year. The artwork would have to be similar to that of the 60's biker film posters, sounds clips from movies (maybe), band bio's and great music of course. I've already got a list of bands in my head. Haha!

I think the biggest obstacle would be to find enough suitable bands for it. Born Losers would definitely fit the bill though.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Daniel_Loser wrote:

that "Angry Breed" song sounds awesome!

Thanks, looking forward to checking out your new stuff as well!

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas wrote:

I think the biggest obstacle would be to find enough suitable bands for it. Born Losers would definitely fit the bill though.

Might be kind of cool to split it half between 60's material and contemporary stuff, sort of like some of Del-Fi's 90's comps.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

CaptainSpringfield wrote:

Klas wrote:

Might be kind of cool to split it half between 60's material and contemporary stuff, sort of like some of Del-Fi's 90's comps.

Warren, what comps are you referring to?

The Deadbeats

Surf Monsters in particular, but there were some others like Surf Crazy which was GNP and not Del-Fi. I thought there were others but I'm drawing a blank.

There's also a Del-Fi comp of then-current bands covering old Del-Fi songs ... Delphonic Sounds Today, I think?

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

That would certainly help bumping up the number of tracks although I was personally never a fan of that concept. Also, licensing any 60's material could prove difficult and costly. I think a better approach would be to include some cool fuzz tunes from the 1990's if bands/labels are willing to part with a song in exchange for copies of the comp.

Surf Monsters in particular, but there were some others like Surf Crazy which was GNP and not Del-Fi. I thought there were others but I'm drawing a blank.

Pulp Surfin' on Del-Fi is another one that comes to mind.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas wrote:

Also, licensing any 60's material could prove difficult and costly. I
think a better approach would be to include some cool fuzz tunes from
the 1990's if bands/labels are willing to part with a song in exchange
for copies of the comp.

Bingo! Yes, licensing the 60's stuff is a hassle. Look at the ill-fated Richie Podolor comp. Getting stuff from current and 90's bands is a great idea. At least in the 90's there's stuff like the Vice Barons and others. Even Davie recorded some great songs in the 90's. I'm sure you could dig up some fuzz loving bands today too. Count The Finksville 5 in if this happens!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Here's another great fuzz tune from The Ventures... Psyched-Out from 1967!

shivers13 wrote:

Yes, licensing the 60's stuff is a hassle. Look at the ill-fated Richie Podolor comp.

Licensing original recordings is even more of a hassle. The Podolor comp of cover recordings only required a sum of money payed to the Harry Fox Agency while any original recordings would involve negotiating deals with every single publisher for each song used.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas wrote:

Licensing original recordings is even more of a hassle.

Really? Every independant comp I've ever contributed a song to payed me in a handfull of copies. No contracts. I think that's pretty typical. Anyway, we've gone off-topic. Back to the fuzz!

Klas wrote:

That would certainly help bumping up the number of tracks although I was personally never a fan of that concept. Also, licensing any 60's material could prove difficult and costly. I think a better approach would be to include some cool fuzz tunes from the 1990's if bands/labels are willing to part with a song in exchange for copies of the comp.

Yeah that "Surf Monsters" comp on Del-Fi has some great songs but I always felt that it didn't mix well. It's still a cool release though.

For this fuzz comp, the basic idea is that it would have to be similar to something that Mike Curb would have released in the late 60's to cash in on the whole Biker theme hype of the time. But with great bands and songs of course. It's just that there isn't that many modern bands doing the Instro Fuzz thing nowadays. It could be done though.

The Deadbeats

Last edited: Mar 09, 2012 21:30:08

shivers13 wrote:

Klas wrote:

Really? Every independant comp I've ever contributed a song to payed me in a handfull of copies. No contracts. I think that's pretty typical.

Yes, but the issue here was about including original recordings from the 60's. Let's say that you wanted "Psyched-Out" by the Ventures for the comp, you would then have to work out a deal with Liberty/EMI who owns the rights to the recording. I would be very surprised if they settled for just getting some copies of the finished comp. Wink

Abe wrote:

For this fuzz comp, the basic idea is that it would have to be similar to something that Mike Curb would have released in the late 60's to cash in on the whole Biker theme hype of the time. But with great bands and songs of course. It's just that there isn't that many modern bands doing the Instro Fuzz thing nowadays. It could be done though.

If I were to do it, I would start with putting together a list of at least 15 bands that I would like to see on the comp. Next step would be to try and contact them all to ask if they would be interested in contributing a song. If there was a good enough response, I would then move forward to try and find a cool artist that understands the concept to do the artwork. Then lastly, I would contact a suitable record label and present the whole package to them and see if they would be interested in releasing it.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012 05:26:25

Klas wrote:

shivers13 wrote:

Really? Every independant comp I've ever contributed a song to payed me in a handfull of copies. No contracts. I think that's pretty typical.

Yes, but the issue here was about including original recordings from the 60's. Let's say that you wanted "Psyched-Out" by the Ventures for the comp, you would then have to work out a deal with Liberty/EMI who owns the rights to the recording. I would be very surprised if they settled for just getting some copies of the finished comp. Wink

Really, Klas? You mean a major label wouldn't take a handful of CD's as payment??? I'm shocked!! Big Grin I meant if you did a comp with bands from the 90's on.

Here's a few (newer) bands off the top of my head with recordings that use fuzz quite well. Let's throw in some more if you think of them.

Davie's 90's stuff.
Satan's Pilgrims
Ghastly Ones
Vice Barons
Bomboras
Lords of Altamont
Hangee V
Born Losers
Angry Breed
Finksville Five
Boardwalkers
who else??

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012 20:46:06

To add to, Norm's list;

-The Treblemakers
-The Phantom Surfers
-Los Peyotes

Um... is that it? I can't think of anymore. Maybe someone else could chip in.

The Deadbeats

Some additional bands I can think of are the Thunderchiefs ("Rotar"), the Sir Finks ("Weird Beard"), the Ugly Beats ("Maximum Bumble") and the Dynotones which would make it a total of 18 bands. I guess this can be done after all.

Also, besides the already mentioned Angry Breed, we've done a couple of fuzz tunes in the Surfites as well if needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cq-S2WHVh0

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next