Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Well, I ordered a Mastery bridge...

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Well I 'm comparing my Jazzmaster to my Strat which has what seems like a 1/2hour note substain. Laughing
As far as I am concerned the Mastery bridge is more than good looking. It is very easy to tune well, and not hard to get at parts make it even better than the stock bridge IMHO.
It has not changed the voice of my guitar and that is what I wanted.
Substain is and has always been good on my Jazzmaster. Nothing special, but good. I didn't buy the bridge to increase substain anyway.
But overall when compared to my Strat, my Jazzmaster has less substain. And I like it that way.

Joel

I'm very pleased with the Mastery Bridge that I put on my AVRI Jaguar. The bridge took less than a week to arrive. The Mastery Bridge website has an installation video that takes you through the installation process. The bridge is very easy to install.

My Jag plays much better now. The Mastery Bridge solved my string buzz problems. The guitar still has that great "Jaguar sound," and I did notice an increase in sustain.

If I'm not mistaken, the mastery bridge has only 2 adjustable saddles? Regarding intonation, I don't see this as being too much of a problem with the saddle for the E, A and D strings (just a question of finding the right balance), but it may be an issue for the G, B and E strings where the G is wound. And I'm not even talking about alternate tunings...

Matter is just energy waiting to happen.

SGF
If I'm not mistaken, the mastery bridge has only 2 adjustable saddles? Regarding intonation, I don't see this as being too much of a problem with the saddle for the E, A and D strings (just a question of finding the right balance), but it may be an issue for the G, B and E strings where the G is wound. And I'm not even talking about alternate tunings...

In reality I don't think it would be an issue, but if you absolutely need PERFECT intonation it likely would...the two saddle setup creates other problems too but it solves MORE problems so overall I think the Mastery Bridge is "THE" best bridge available for the JM/Jag.

I had big plans of posting a detailed review with maybe a youtube vid (it's too hard to describe some of the issues or benefits of the bridge without showing in a vid or detailed pics) but haven't had the time yet.

www.apollo4.com

can you recommend it? sounds like your on the fence about it.

Just ordered a Mastery Bridge. I'll post a review when it arrives.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Ruhar
Just ordered a Mastery Bridge. I'll post a review when it arrives.

I've had it awhile now. You'll dig it!

With a Mastery bridge, you simply cannot intonate the guitar if you use a wound G. I don't care what the people say. Rules it out for me.

SSIV

LHR
With a Mastery bridge, you simply cannot intonate the guitar if you use a wound G. I don't care what the people say. Rules it out for me.

Didn't know that! Now, I have one more reason...

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

LHR

Where do you get that? I don't have the world's best strobe tuner, but my jag intonates fine with 11 chrome flats. I'm using a basic korg tuner.

badash

LHR

Where do you get that? I don't have the world's best strobe tuner, but my jag intonates fine with 11 chrome flats. I'm using a basic korg tuner.

You got lucky. I have a few guitars that intonate well with unexpected saddle positions. My Jaguar, for example. This tends to change with strings though. Generally with a wound G, you will need to have a string length configuration like the top diagram, of course:

With the Mastery bridge, it is not physically possible to make the 3rd string shorter than the 4th string while at the same time making the 1st string shorter than the 2nd string. This is not an opinion, it is a matter of geometry. The Mastery has two saddle adjustable saddle parts. A three-part design would have permitted this intonation.

SSIV

LHR

badash

LHR

You got lucky. I have a few guitars that intonate well with unexpected saddle positions. My Jaguar, for example.

Well, I do play a jag Laughing I don't experiment much with different strings. Got a bunch of chromes for $4.50 a set years ago. Still running through them. I actually prefer rounds so when I'm out of the chromes, that's what's coming!

Well, I just installed the Mastery Bridge on my Jazzmaster and love it. It definitely improves the performance of the guitar without question. There is a noticeable increase in sustain and resonance, but nothing crazy and none of the guitar's character is sacrificed because of the bridge. It's very stable and makes trem picking a dream because there is no way that the strings will skip saddle threads.

I had no problems intonating with a wound G. In fact, the bridge came damn near intonated out of the box. The tremolo system works just as well as with the stock bridge as the Mastery Bridge also rocks slightly. The bridge was a snap to install and my dealings with John Woodland (Woody) were incredibly positive. He was extremely responsive and runs an ultra-professional operation.

I'd highly recommend the Mastery Bridge if you are like me and have a lot of trouble with string slippage on the stock bridge.

Here's a video that describes the bridge in more detail and shows installation/intonation
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2737677517114398823#

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I just took my pretty new and super bitchin' Oly white AVRI Jazzmaster to a rather well known luthier to have him install my Mastery bridge with a set of Pyramid 11 flats. They kind of laughed at me, or rather maybe at the bridge and how it looked, etc and then came the comment, "...well it probably won't intonate".

To tell you the truth, it kind of pissed me off a bit Mad but I'm trying to not take it personal...even though I am, you know, the customer. I'll let you know how the set up came out and what they have to say after all is said and done.

Check out Rat Surf Radio - Surf Trash Garage Punk PODCAST!
http://www.ratsurfradio.com

I need a mastery nut! I don't have a problem with string slippage at the saddle, but the other day at a gig the high E string slipped out of the nut and went into the slot for the B string. Of course never experiencing that before and knowing something was wrong, I kept checking the saddle until I had a moment to follow the string up the neck to the nut. What happened was I tuned up the guitar the night before the gig with some grease I use to help the strings move smoothly with the tremolo. I apparently put a little too much in the slot for the E string and with a little hard playing out it popped. Talk about embarassing, our first song was a complete loss. OK, back to the topic....

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

The fella's at the repair shop had a change of mind once they got their hands dirty with this bad boy...nothing but raves about how well designed and well made the Mastery bridge is. They absolutely loved it!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Now I am not going to fire up the surf rig until prac tomorrow, but I ran her through my little Vox prac amp amp I am surely fully impressed so far. I definitely notice a tad bit more sustain and what I can only say is a slightly smoother sound, and I dig it much. EVERYTHING is staying in place after a solid hour of playing. I've got such a heavy hand that I would have rattled the stock bridge loose with a standard set up by now. The low E is actually ending up where it started, wow!

I've tried all the "fixes" in the past, and this so far seems to be the only one that truly is engineered to work for cats like me. Really a quality piece of craftsmanship and it looks fricking great on my guitar.

More tomorrow after band prac, but right now I am fully stoked!!

Te amo, mi Jazzy! Very Happy

Check out Rat Surf Radio - Surf Trash Garage Punk PODCAST!
http://www.ratsurfradio.com

DannySnyder
I need a mastery nut! I don't have a problem with string slippage at the saddle, but the other day at a gig the high E string slipped out of the nut and went into the slot for the B string. Of course never experiencing that before and knowing something was wrong, I kept checking the saddle until I had a moment to follow the string up the neck to the nut. What happened was I tuned up the guitar the night before the gig with some grease I use to help the strings move smoothly with the tremolo. I apparently put a little too much in the slot for the E string and with a little hard playing out it popped. Talk about embarassing, our first song was a complete loss. OK, back to the topic....

Danny check out Rene' Martinez (yep SRV's old guitar tech) at:
http://www.texasguitarwhiz.com/
He has a graphite type product that should take care of your problem...works for me
He's done a couple of refrets for me..awesome work as long as you like the Stevie Ray setup...

www.northofmalibu.com

Last edited: May 22, 2010 23:12:51

The Mastery Bridge arrived on Saturday, and I have yet to install it on the CIJ Jazzmaster. The amount of care in shipping is remarkable...more later once I get the Mastery installed and fire up the Jazzmaster...

by the way, what prompted me to purchase and try the Mastery Bridge?
I wasn't happy with the stock Jazzmaster bridge, to rattly. I wasn't happy with the Mustang Bridge either, the low E string would jump out of the bridge slot under violent attack...

I use Pyramid 53-13 on the Jazzmaster, pretty heavy...and I am a heavy handed player...

Then there's this solution:

It's a Compton aluminum bridge (made for Gretsches) sitting on top of a jazzmaster bridge with the saddles removed. Very Happy

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadranchhands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEW74mHjQk

The can it's shipped in:

Inside the can- excelsior shavings and a cotton bag which contains: the bridge, alternate MIJ posts, allen wrenches

close-up of the mastery bridge:

installed -view 1:

Installed -view 2:

I strung the guitar with Pyramid Gold flatwounds (13-53) with a wound G string, the bridge intonated with no problems at all, adjusted the string height and profile...all is good!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next