Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink interesting observation about Strat trem bridge saddles

Page 1 of 1

I have been checking out the Wilkinson Vintrage Trem on one of my Strats recently, as I wrote up in another thread, and I was thinking about one feature that I like and that makes things a lot easier: the enlarged saddle hole where the string comes through from the block. Given that I use fat strings, I have to set the saddles way back to get a decent intonation, and as a result the string opening on top of the block is partially blocked by the saddle (especially on the low E string), sometimes making restringing a bit tricky. So, check it out - here's the Wilkinson bridge and saddles:

For the sake of comparions, here are two Fender US vintage reissue trems and saddles, one stock on my 1997 '62 reissue Strat, and one that I bought as a replacement unit in 2000 for my Fiesta Red Strat Plus:

But here's a puzzle for you. I also have a black US '62 reissue which I bought in 1998, and which according to the serial number is from 1987. I never changed anything on that guitar, and I assumed it was completely stock (except for the pearloid pickguard which was on the guitar when I bought it). But looking at all these bridges, I suddenly noticed - for the first time in the eleven years I've owned this guitar! - that the bridge saddles on it - stamped Fender - are like the Wilkinson saddles above, meaning they have the enlarged string hole! See here:

How bizarre! I wonder if the previous owner modified the bridge with these saddles (did Fender make them as an aftermarket mod?), or if it was like that stock? (The saddles look factory-made like that rather than enlarged by hand.) Anyway, it's a very cool feature that makes a lot of sense to me, but it's a puzzle why my black Strat has it, while the other don't. Any thoughts

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Hello IvanP,

I just took a look at my 2007 62'
and the saddles are not wilkinson style.
too bad I like that idea.

Cheers.

Here's my '83 Squier JV. Each saddle is stamped Fender twice but the same way around. It's one of the ways of identifying a JV. In each case the stamping is the same length as the slot, so i'd say the saddles in your last photo are not modifed but might be Japanese.

Just going by Bill Callaham's site, my guess is that someone must have labored to lengthen those slots, because that's even longer than pre-CBS saddles. (Once again, they had it right back then...)

Left to right is a Callaham, vintage and then modern:

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Cool that Callaham's saddles have enlarged saddle holes! I just order a Callaham tremolo a few days ago...

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

crumb
Here's my '83 Squier JV. Each saddle is stamped Fender twice but the same way around. It's one of the ways of identifying a JV. In each case the stamping is the same length as the slot, so i'd say the saddles in your last photo are not modifed but might be Japanese.

Now, that's very interesting, crumb! I didn't know that factoid about the stamping on the saddles. This guitar says Made in USA on it, it has a V serial number, indicating a reissue, and it fits all the specs of a US-made '62 reissue. So, I wonder if the previous owner replaced the saddles or even the entire bridge with the MIJ parts? However, the saddle slots on my Strat are longer than on your JV Strat - compare:

So, it's not an exact match...

morphball
Just going by Bill Callaham's site, my guess is that someone must have labored to lengthen those slots, because that's even longer than pre-CBS saddles. (Once again, they had it right back then...)

That's really interesting, I now remember reading about this on the Callahan site years ago, but have forgotten about it. I checked my black Strat saddles again and there's no way it was done by hand. It's perfect, perfectly rounded, and there's no indication of any subsequent work being done on the saddles, no file or drill marks, no different coloration or different texturing, etc. They look they were originally stamped or moulded or however they make them, but I'm 100% sure that they were manufactured that way. It's a mystery, and I guess the best explanation is that they're Japanese, though I'm not entirely sure that's the case.

Anyway, thanks, guys!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Ivan. Scroll a little way down and you'll see a picture of a Strat bridge, some interesting reading here: http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jvstratocaster.htm
As far as i know most Fender/Fender Squier from the far east stamp Fender twice in the same orientation while the American versions use opposite orientation.

The JV range was Fender Japan's first guitars and the orientation thing started then. Later when CBS was bought out and the JV range abolished there was much more of a mix of parts on Fender Japan guitars. Early days Fender Japan wasn't a whole factory but a segment sharing with Tokai, Ibanez and many others. I've seen Tokai parts on Columbus, Squier parts on Fernandes and also some Ameriacan parts on Fender Japanese guitars.

Hmm. I took a look at the saddles on my '03 Highway 1 and the slots seem to be about half-way between the Wilkinsons and what's referred to as 'modern' (so I guess it's intended to replicate the vintage saddle).

Update: I measured the slot as shown. Be interested to know what the others measure if someone can put a caliper to them.

-- Woody

It takes a lot of mussel memory to avoid clams.

Great! Something else to be self-conscious about. Now, I'm gonna be thinking everyone's checking out the length of my saddle slots when I play. I'm sure I will now suffer from "saddle slot envy".

Thanks, guys. Thanks a lot!

Eric, the self obsessed vintage snob

LOL!

The strings rubbing against the the front edge of the bridge slot is the number one cause of string breakage on a Strat. I've often considered lengthening them on mine. My strat is a 90's japan model and seems fairly run of the mill. Like Crumb mentioned, the fact that Fender Japan was a conglomerate of different factories is probably the most likely cause of any discrepencies.

https://www.facebook.com/coffindagger
http://coffindaggers.com/
http://thecoffindaggers.bandcamp.com

psychonaut
The strings rubbing against the the front edge of the bridge slot is the number one cause of string breakage on a Strat. I've often considered lengthening them on mine. My strat is a 90's japan model and seems fairly run of the mill. Like Crumb mentioned, the fact that Fender Japan was a conglomerate of different factories is probably the most likely cause of any discrepencies.

Yes, some Stratocasters have "Slip & Grip" problems which a lengthened slot might help sort out. Checkout these MIJ Strats with lengthened slots on ebay.
Item# 160373338185
Item# 220500261824

But most of all, some unscrupulous dealers switch parts on new guitars, for the sake of not getting ripped off it's good to know these details.

Page 1 of 1