Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Official Surf Coasters 2008 USA Tour Thread

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

it would be great to read some USA Tour experiences from themselves!

Guitar Player in Nahuelaizers
http://nahuelaizers.bandcamp.com

I'm really digging these photos and reports. I've been on such a raging Surf Coasters binge since I saw them (still). I had such a blast seeing them just once in my life. It's bittersweet getting to finally have that experience, and reading up on their whole tour, knowing that it's likely the last we'll hear from these guys as a group. Crying But yes, thanks once and again to Ferenc for doing us all the favor of bringing them back!

Wow!
I was at the SD and LA show and these guys really nailed it.
I felt honored to witness, front and center BOTH nights, these guys bring their brand of surf all the way from Tokyo. What a bunch of nice guys,....ALWAYS smiling.
Anyways,....does anybody out there know the name of the song they played, into which they incorporated the theme song from Gerry Andersons TV show "THUNDERBIRDS"? I'm guessing they played it everynight of the tour since the 2 nights I saw them the sets were virtually identical.
THUNDERBIRDS was a marionette TV show from 1968 that featured the International Rescue crew. It was big in Japan too.

surfaca
it would be great to read some USA Tour experiences from themselves!

Shigeo and the manager Masa kept daily blogs, but they are in Japanese...

Masa
You returned home. You finished the performance with last loss, this day nil thing returned home. Almost because everyday was, you think that everyone suitable you became tired. So, in this way, it was good again to be able to step on the American area with everyone, it is it is not, probably will be? You were welcomed in many everyone. Borrowing this place, it greets. By the way, just one time performs with Yokohama. 10/23 is. In addition as for details freshly.

so good luck with that!

Markenstein
Anyways,....does anybody out there know the name of the song they played, into which they incorporated the theme song from Gerry Andersons TV show "THUNDERBIRDS"? I'm guessing they played it everynight of the tour since the 2 nights I saw them the sets were virtually identical.
THUNDERBIRDS was a marionette TV show from 1968 that featured the International Rescue crew. It was big in Japan too.

The first song is "Man from MI5" which segues into the Thunderbirds theme. Ivan will tell you that the whole arrangement is heavily influenced by Deep Purple, but he knows more about that than I do. the didn't play it every night, but it was the highlight for me.
If you want to hear their studio version, here is the Japanese Thunderbirds Tribute CD:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VPCC-84434

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

PolloGuitar
The first song is "Man from MI5" which segues into the Thunderbirds theme. Ivan will tell you that the whole arrangement is heavily influenced by Deep Purple, but he knows more about that than I do.

Yeah, it's true - Shigeo admitted it (I'm not sure, though, that he understood what he was admitting!). Anyway, the whole section sounds to me like it is based on the '68 (pre-Gillan) Deep Purple song "Mandrake Root", which has a lengthy outro featuring organ and guitar solos - incidentally, Ritchie played his solo in the Byzantine (aka Miserlou) scale. The jamming section ended up being lifted from "Mandrake Root" and tacked on to the live version of "Space Truckin'" starting in '72, and it's that version found on their live classic "Made in Japan". So, yeah, there you go, that's the influence, I think.

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

That's also on their "Surf Coasters Live" album. Really a killer medley. I was glad to hear that in person.

Carve those faces on Mount Reverb

Here they are - the pantheon of modern instro surf rock guitarists all together. Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Ferenc,

2 things,
is that a vinyl version of Frankie and the Pool boys?
if so I want to get one. Shocked
so I can play it when I DJ, and because the art is so cool.

and when you were draggin the boys away on Sat. nite. They were saying that they will come back. Any truth to that, or were they just being nice and the booze was talking?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I have created for your viewing pleasure a series of pictures I took this past weekend at:
1)The Radio Room in San Diego, 9/12/08
2)The Purple Orchid in El Segundo 9/13/08, and
3)The Huntington Beach Surf Museum 9/14/08

Yeah, I was there, though you'd never know it from SG101 b/c to date no one has made note of that in any of their posts (except me, but who reads my posts anyway?)

But that's cool, I flew cross country, 2 planes each way, for the music, and to reconnect with the Pacific Ocean (mission accomplished)

And I do thank those who spent some time with me, hung out, shared stuff, etc....most grateful to you

I have 5 killer videos too of THE SURF COASTERS, but requested by Tom, who is putting together the ultimate surf documentary, to hold them off from YouTube for now (and I will honor that request); if he gives me the OK, I will drop them onto YouTube so those of you who are interested can view them

<u>here it is then, a set of my memories</u>:

http://tinyurl.com/5b8mdm

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

p.s. special thanks, again, to Ferenc

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

UnsteadyFreddie
I have created for your viewing pleasure a series of pictures I took this past weekend at:

Yeah, I was there, though you'd never know it from SG101 b/c to date no one has made note of that in any of their posts (except me, but who reads my posts anyway?)

But that's cool, I flew cross country, 2 planes each way, for the music, and to reconnect with the Pacific Ocean (mission accomplished)

And I do thank those who spent some time with me, hung out, shared stuff, etc....most grateful to you

I have 5 killer videos too of THE SURF COASTERS, but requested by Tom, who is putting together the ultimate surf documentary, to hold them off from YouTube for now (and I will honor that request); if he gives me the OK, I will drop them onto YouTube so those of you who are interested can view them

<u>here it is then, a set of my memories</u>:

http://tinyurl.com/5b8mdm

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

p.s. special thanks, again, to Ferenc

Thanks U.F. Smile

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

Thanks Unsteady Freddy for making the trip to Cali! Thanks to Ferenc for the Major effort making it possible for the Surf Coasters to come to the USA one more time! They are really nice guys, who, as everybody knows, deliver the goods on both record, and on the stage. The support for Slacktone by the packed club really meant a lot to me, and helped me to forget how much my hands/ arm was hurting from dumb job! With that, and Dusty Watson, and Steve Ryan {filling in for Sam Bolle} I just rode the wave in. Love U All!
~ dave

http://davewronski.com

UnsteadyFreddie

Freddie, I'm sure everyone appreciates the fact that you traveled so far, and the pictures and videos you posted. But do you have to be such a nebbish? image

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

But do you have to be such a nebbish?

it's in my bloodstream, fight it as I try

I'm sure everyone appreciates....

I'm not a gambling man, but I suspect if you took a survey here, you might find that everyone is a very broad term that does not encompass everyone in SG101....

I still had a blast, and the trip for me was 100% worthwhile

I bought the new CD from THE SURF COASTERS and have been listening to it over and over and over....great mix of wide-range instro

and a shout-out (yet again) to Ferenc for the _Frankie and the Pool Boys _album.....FANTASTIC!

UN/F

Thanks for the photos, I'm hitting the slideshow button now.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

is that a vinyl version of Frankie and the Pool boys?

Jeff/BTD -- I asked Ferenc the same thing when I saw it at the show

apparently it's just a reproduction of the artwork in LP size (if I am not mistaken)

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

UnsteadyFreddie

The shots of Slacktone at Purple Orchid are pretty spectacular, especially Dusty. Wish I had been there. If I had been there, I'm sure I would have posted and not mentioned Unsteady unless he got in my way at the front.

Great pics, excellent composition. Too bad you missed the Black Widows Rolling Eyes

Ferenc,
Thanks for the info on that THUNDERBIRDS song.
I followed the link, but it says the CD is not available.
Do you, or anyone else know where I can find one?
I'm a HUGE Gerry Anderson fan, as well as a HUGE Surf Coasters fan, so I must have that CD!

BTW, Thanks for bringing the SC's back here to the US.!

Unsteady Freddie,.....it was nice meeting you at the SD and LA shows. It was me who stood front row, shoulder to shoulder, with you at both shows, and witnessed all that crazy action. OH. that reminds me,....how 'bout that crazy dancer lady in SD? - HA!
Did you get any pics or videos of her "show"? hee-hee
I wonder if she'll end up on the Surf Documentary?

Nice meeting you too Ryan. I can't wait to check out your show in PB on Oct 4th.

Markenstein
Unsteady Freddie,.....it was nice meeting you at the SD and LA shows. It was me who stood front row, shoulder to shoulder, with you at both shows, and witnessed all that crazy action. OH. that reminds me,....how 'bout that crazy dancer lady in SD? - HA!
Did you get any pics or videos of her "show"? hee-hee
I wonder if she'll end up on the Surf Documentary?

Nice meeting you too Ryan. I can't wait to check out your show in PB on Oct 4th.

You too Mark! I think we had the best seats in the house both nights. Great Pics UN/F. That "lady" in SD was hilariously annoying. I really wish she wouldn't have flashed so much. And that's saying something...

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Freddie,
thanks for the pics, and good seeing ya again man.
I wish that I had the opportunity to go to travel around the work/country like you do.

Safe Travels matey.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next