Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink The surfguitar101 2008 convention thread!

Goto Page: Previous 1 28 9 10 11 12 13 Next

Yeah....like how did surf music become the center of MY universe? I answer it simply (without getting into the WHOLE story which those who know me know)....it is the sound of my life as I live it. That's why I can't understand serious surfers, people living the surfing lifestyle every day who don't get it. Some do get it....and those are the lucky ones.

FenderShowman63

wooza
That's a nice photo. I commented at one point Saturday that one of the day's biggest successes was that there were actual female human beings in attendance. How did surf become so markedly overpopulated by guys?

Smile I'm not shure how it happened but Surf Music is a total Sausage Fest Laughing . Probably cuz it's guitar oriented music, I guess chicks could care less about that. But to those who do care Gracias Razz

Ya mean I finally beat Wronski at something?.........My Jazzmasters all have 6 brass saddles! Machined them all myself I did. They are mass compesated as well.......Klever dude that Katcher. Not a great guitar player and a pretty lousy "surfer," but klever.....

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

tuesday AM we got in a dawn patrol surf session at the huntington pier, almost missed our flight out of john wayne airport because we couldn't find the off airport rental car return for 'pay even less' car rental company, connecting flight in las vegas delayed because of weather. got back to norfolk,va at 1 AM and drove three hours to home, slept 2 1/2 hours, and then worked until 8 PM. needless to say a bit burnt but ...........
WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND !!

unfortunately we missed the san diego show friday but got to spend the evening with eddie K and the missus.

saturday's event was over the top. i was one of them who was there the entire day and evening, noon to the end of the insect surfers set sometime after midnight. i was feeling a bit drained there towards the end.

surf drum jam... how cool was that? my son loves dusty watson, so what a treat for him. he was standing right up front.

slacktone...energy level over the top. the owner of suzys' wasn't looking too pleased with the noise level. i loved it when they were asked to turn it 'down' and it was still just as loud.

how cool to meet so many nice people and to be around folks who all love this music. i couldn't believe how many people i met know people i know. the surfing world blends into the surf music world a lot more than many people realize.

getting the opportunity to play with paul johnson on stage.......i can't come up with the words to describe it. i was so afraid i'd mess up (looking a little too serious and focused in the photos, so next year i'll loosen up) but not nervous at all once we started playing. how cool was that!? next year i want to play with ivan. (how very cool would that be??) only in my dreams.

speaking of cool.......the madeira. who taught that guy to play guitar? can patrick play a little faster next time? i loved their bass player (sorry i don't know his name) but...........

pollo del mar...........did ferenc and danny stop smiling, ever???

the aquasonics..........one of my sons two favorite bands of the afternoon.

the eliminators..............some of my personal favorite original tunes. having eddie join them...wow.

the boardwalkers, outerwave, surf kings all with their own signature sound. i had to escape the heat of suzy's so heard most of these from outside. was it hot in there or what? everyone sounded so good.

the detonators started the evening off with a blast and the insect surfers closed out a great day of music.

the huntington beach pier show on sunday topped off the whole event. what a great 'venue' for surf music.

how much fun to get to hang around dave arnson who's been a pal of mine for years. he's got to be the happiest person i've ever met.

sorry they ran out of time for the jams on sat. rick. i was looking forward to playing 'penetration' with you and BTD. this will be a 'must' for next year.

special thanks for 'overhead ted' for offering the use of his surfboards. my brother showed up so we used some of his.

thanks to ivan and hbkahuna for the invite to come out to the filming on monday. sorry i couldn't make it but i haven't seen my brother in almost two years and family comes first.

and a huge thanks to everyone i met for all being so cool. i don't want to make a list out of fear of leaving someone out, but you all know who you are. i felt so at home around everyone.

thanks BTD for putting this together.

thanks brian for surfguitar101.

carol.........

ps, sorry for going on and on. we wandered over to the surf museum on monday. they have a jan and dean exhibit right now. we just missed meeting dean. my brother spotted an old enlarged photo on the wall taken in 1977 of a 'kanvis by katin' advertisement (they're a boardshort co.) and i'm in the group. how cool is that? certainly the last thing i expected to see.

anyway.........looking forward to doing this all again next year.

HOOT

www.surfintheeye.com

Awesome Carol, thanks for the report. I'll try to write more later.

In the meantime: free piggyback rides for the kids!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

is that Sam Bolle's kid? that's a freakin' awesome picture!

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

WR

I do think that's Sam's daughter..Ive seen her hanging out with him the last three times I watched Slacktone. She seems to be real good pals with Dusty,too...

STELLA!

mom_surfing
ps, sorry for going on and on. we wandered over to the surf museum on monday. they have a jan and dean exhibit right now. we just missed meeting dean. my brother spotted an old enlarged photo on the wall taken in 1977 of a 'kanvis by katin' advertisement (they're a boardshort co.) and i'm in the group. how cool is that? certainly the last thing i expected to see.

That's just nuts! I only wear Katins! (except my one pair of Jimi Hendrix boardshorts made by Dragonfly and they are too scary to wear in public sometimes).
Sorry I couldn't hang with you down in Huntington.... I was way too burned out. But happy to see another female in this scene who actually gets out in the water!

~~~o/~~~ Jamie Cool

mom_surfing
tuesday AM we got in a dawn patrol surf session at the huntington pier, almost missed our flight out of john wayne airport because we couldn't find the off airport rental car return for 'pay even less' car rental company, connecting flight in las vegas delayed because of weather. got back to norfolk,va at 1 AM and drove three hours to home, slept 2 1/2 hours, and then worked until 8 PM. needless to say a bit burnt but ...........
WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND !!

snip great report<
anyway.........looking forward to doing this all again next year.

HOOT

Great report Mom. Sorry to say, "ya shoulda been here yesterday". Friday we had the last remnants of a week-long string of south swells. During the tide change there was one half hour of perfect overhead A-frames... then it died. Real fickle, but you know what fickle is being from EC.

Hope to be in Hatty Sept for some hurricane juice.

td

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

dp

WR

I do think that's Sam's daughter..Ive seen her hanging out with him the last three times I watched Slacktone. She seems to be real good pals with Dusty,too...

Sam is one of the nicest people I have ever met in this genre. Just by his nature he HAS to be a great dad! Very cool shot!

THe NEpTuNeS

and i almost forgot..............

the ladies of surfguitar101 rule!

www.surfintheeye.com

surfneptune

dp

WR

Sam is one of the nicest people I have ever met in this genre. Just by his nature he HAS to be a great dad! Very cool shot!

Yes, that is Sam's daughter Stella, and Sam is a great Dad, I've seen him in action. How many other father's brought their daughters to the surfguitar101 convention...and it looked like she liked it!

We're overdue:

Video! Video! Video!

Laughing I saw lots of video cameras out there. Sharing is caring.

Outsides,
um can we use your real name yet, or is it still a secret?
Wink Rolling Eyes

thanks for the comments, and thanks so much for coming down and vending,
unfortunately I didn't have time to look at all yer records.
damn it.

hope you can make it down fer the next one.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Wooza 's right . I saw more video cameras then Jaguars . So where's all the vids bro's ?

midwest_surf_guy
I was really bummed about not getting to go, but now I feel worse after looking at all of the pictures and hearing all about it. Man! I am gong to start a savings account now so I will be ready for next year! BTD you are the best for setting this up! Totally awesome! He you mentioned about doint it somewhere else! How about Ohio? Shocked

I'm with you midwest_surf_guy:
How about even a little further SOUTH, you know like Terra Australis huh?

This is me _trying to get in _while you guys have all the fun:

Hoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Hoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

all the big cameras were the pro ones for Toms movie.

a friend recorded the whole day for me, and will give me dvds sometime
but I dont know when, and I dont know how to transfer the vid to computer, then to you tube/blip tv.
if I provide the dvds, can somebody convert and post on the net?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

has it been a week already?

www.surfintheeye.com

yep time flies when your trying to recover. I'm still exhausted.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Once the file are put on a DVD, it's tough to work with them for Internet upload. Make sure you get the mini DV tapes. Those can be transfered to computer, edited & uploaded to the Internet.

Goto Page: Previous 1 28 9 10 11 12 13 Next