Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Favorite surf guitar

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 665 66 Next

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

We got another "other" in the poll. Wonder what it is. . .

IvanP
I also wish more people did the poll - c'mon, make your selection, if you haven't already!

Yeah, I find it a bit strange that so few of the currently almost 100 registered members are interested in casting a vote for their favourite surf guitar?! Also, it would be interesting to know what guitars that was favoured under the "Other (specify below)" option.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas

IvanP
I also wish more people did the poll - c'mon, make your selection, if you haven't already!

Yeah, I find it a bit strange that so few of the currently almost 100 registered members are interested in casting a vote for their favourite surf guitar?! Also, it would be interesting to know what guitars that was favoured under the "Other (specify below)" option.

My "other"

Klas

IvanP

well, I've been follwing the thread with interest, nice things come up. but to answer the question, at least, why I havent voted ...

"favorite surf guitar?" is a multi-interpretable question....

"what guitar do you like to play best?"
- okay, I can tick the strat box, no problem. but what does it tell, I only own a strat... no JM, no jag, no mosrite ... own/owned/played a few others, not all. tele no good for surf, paulie dito - but you knew that.
and, "a" strat? come on, there are a gazzilion configutrations.
I love the playability of my mid 80's korean higloss squier rosewood neck, I can tell you that. but it has fairly flat radius, which I like but many don't. sound is reasonable, not awesome, with mods.
in all fairness, this question can only be answered by someone who owns/used to own all options. me, I cant answer it. And I can't guess what I would like, I tried other guitars I THOUGHT I'd love for surf, and ended up selling 'em cause i didn't like 'em after all.

or, does the question mean "what guitar-sound do you prefer when others are playing? that one is even more un-answerable (to me at least), since many guitarist match their style and sound... I don't really need to hear the madiera using a JM, (sorry Ivan), cause the strat sounds fits so well there... on the other hand, gein and the graverobbers would probably sound ridiculous on strat. the nebulas with the guitar sound of the lively ones (jag?) ... I don't think so.... well, you get the point anyway.

So, this is why I didn't tick a box ... this is not to put the poll down, in fact,it's great inspirator for some good debate. Personally, I just couldn't give reasons to myself to tick one box over the other.

and now, I'm going to tick the strat box. I'l post some more content with it too.

WR

Rules to live by #314:

okay, I ticked strat. I play a strat and I like it's playabilty. that's all the reason, see previous post.

added notes:
I like all surf guitars on others. I'd like to own a better strat than I have now, a JM and a jag, in that order of priority. won't happen any time soon though. I have no desire for a mosrite, it's not the sound or look I 'm after, tough I do like others who play mosrites.

as for the 'others'category. I've had a US standard tele (don 't like 'em for surf - the apeman used to play one, didn't like it there either)
also had a DeArmond M75-T, nice guitar but too muddy sounding for surf imo. also had a SGV800 - sounded great, and fantastic trem system. but really uncomfortable to play.
(Those are all the guitars i seriously played since getting into surf)

WR

Rules to live by #314:

BillAqua
I think that sunburst Jazzmaster may have actually belonged to the Town Hall Party.
Gordon Terry played it, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Merrit used it during one of Gene Vincent's show on the THP.

I think that JM was actually Johnny Bonds guitar.

Can't remember who told me that, Dave Stuckey or Deke or one a them California folks.

Leo must have been fustrated as hell with Town Hall.
Killer pickers like Travis (gibson) and Maphis and Larry Collins (mosrite)
And he has to get a Cowboy stummer like Bond to endorse his JM.

A good move in hindsight since all those guest artists ended up playing it on the show.

The Thunderchiefs

I'm gonna check Strat, because ever since I got my AM Dlx, it's my favorite hands down. Playability, comfort, tone, versatility (the S1 makes it 2x as much so) and that candy tangerine finish just make me want to lick it up like a ....ahem...anyways...

I love my CIJ Jazzmaster and always will, but when I played it at a gig this last weekend, it just didn't sounds as "umph" as the Strat does - I can't put it any better than that. It's inspired me to want to throw some SD Antiquity II's in the JM, though.

Jags are cool, but for me (6'6" with proportionate hands) it feels like a ukelele.

For looks, though, strictly looks, _ Mosrites look aaaaaawful sexxie... _

The Disasternauts

Klas

I voted for "Other" since the only surf guitars I own are two Yamaha SGVs, not counting a beat to shit MIM Strat that more or less adds credibility to every anti-Strat argument ever made on SG101. (Sorry, Ivan.)

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

I clicked strat, but i was definately debating between strat and jazzmaster. i definately prefer those two over the jag and a mosrite for me. i have never played an actual mosrite, so i am ignorant when domes to their playibility and all that. i like the look of them, but i prefer the look of the fenders to the mosrite. as for the jag, i like the guitar alright, but i don't care for the scale that much in the limited amount of time that i have played them. i have only played jake's jags and i actually played a jag for about half of our practice today just because, but i still prefer the feel of the longer scale. i like the tone, but i feel that it doesn't suit me.

i own a 1996 AV '57 RI CAR strat and a 2001 AV '62 RI sherwood green jm. both are stock (and have their fair share of wear, especially the strat). i love my strat and i will never sell it. however, i don't love strats in general, really i just love mine. it seems to have more bite than most strats that i have played (or heard) and it feels better to me than any other strat i've picked up. and jake is right, he can only get a cheesy tone out of a strat. i do like the warmth and i guess the "growl" of the jm. there is something about it's tone that i really love. i am a big fan of the bambi molesters and i love their tone. i like the strat better for double picking though on any song, and i really like the tone that ivan gets out of a strat. i guess it just depends on the song. i definately agree with the statement made a while back about using the right tool for the right job. for me it's the strat and the jm. between the two, it just depends on the context.

eric

-Eric

New music!
https://thedesolatecoast.bandcamp.com/releases
Spotify

Also:
https://theverb.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/theverbseattle/

IvanP
Anyway, that's my take on the whole thing. I do really love to play the Jazzmaster sometimes, and I used it with the Cossacks for about a third of the songs. But the Strat still rules for surf, IMHO.

Ivan

Ivan summed it up very well. I voted for Strat as I have a '94 AmStd Strat (40th Anniversary) in the "arsenal" and prefer it for most lead and some rhythm sounds.

However, one guitar does not make for a complete surf/instro combo sound, IMO. That's why we tend to use a 335 for rhythm guitar. Being studio cats (LBOP) we don't care how improper or how politically incorrect that looks. It's all in the sound, man. And we use dinky amps, too. (It worked for Jimmy Page!)

~ Jonathan

I use an old gretsch with filtrons. It doesn't just have to be a rockabilly guitar. It can sound mean or sweet. It's really a versatile axe.
Dan

The Strat now has taken a clear lead! And I'm quite surprised that Mosrite still has no votes!

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
The Strat now has taken a clear lead! And I'm quite surprised that Mosrite still has no votes!

Nine to eight--if the Strat gets one more vote, it's all over. It'll be way too far ahead for the Jag to catch up.

</sarcasm>

-Warren

Has the distinction been made yet between favorite guitar and favorite surf guitar? This is my favorite guitar- An ESP Strat body with a Tokai neck I bought in 1984. It has had atleast 5 pup, two bridge, and three tuning peg configurations. But now it has a Fender bridge, Kent Armstrong lipstick pups and Sperzel locking tuners. I have had guitars more expensive than this one, but I kept coming back to it. My favorite surf guitar is my '64 Jazzmaster...
fd

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Klas

Maybe not surprising. A combination of idiosyncratic design and "survival of the fittest" ensured that one of these guitars be relegated to the dustbin of history while the other is still rockin' after 52 years.

Ya gotta give props, though, to people who want...no, dare...to be different and follow the path less-travelled. It makes for a more interesting world.

~ J

CaptainSpringfield

Klas

Nine to eight--if the Strat gets one more vote, it's all over. It'll be way too far ahead for the Jag to catch up.

</sarcasm>

The standings were a whopping 9 to 7 when I wrote that!

PolloGuitar
Has the distinction been made yet between favorite guitar and favorite surf guitar?

I was actually thinking of starting a thread about everyone's favourite non-surf guitar (not allowing to vote for the 4 listed above) in the Tiki Lounge sub-forum. I'm quite sure we would see a much bigger differentation among the preferences.

LBOPdot_Net_

Klas

Maybe not surprising. A combination of idiosyncratic design and "survival of the fittest" ensured that one of these guitars be relegated to the dustbin of history while the other is still rockin' after 52 years.

The reasons I prefer a Jag or a JM over a Strat is not necessary because of more appealing sound, looks or playability but rather because I today associate the Stratocaster too much with dreary artists such as Mark Knopfler.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

If bashing both Strats and Dire Straits <i>doesn't</i> bring Ivan out of lurk mode ...

-Warren

CaptainSpringfield
If bashing both Strats and Dire Straits <i>doesn't</i> bring Ivan out of lurk mode ...

-Warren

I thought the Mosrite Mark IV was a tribute?

sorry, lame

WR

Rules to live by #314:

Hmmm. I always associate Strats with Hendrix and that nasty modded strat with early Van Halen. Ibanez guitars always seemed really hacky to me. And I had one. . .

Klas

CaptainSpringfield

Klas

</sarcasm>

The standings were a whopping 9 to 7 when I wrote that!

PolloGuitar
Has the distinction been made yet between favorite guitar and favorite surf guitar?

I was actually thinking of starting a thread about everyone's favourite non-surf guitar (not allowing to vote for the 4 listed above) in the Tiki Lounge sub-forum. I'm quite sure we would see a much bigger differentation among the preferences.

LBOPdot_Net_

Klas

The reasons I prefer a Jag or a JM over a Strat is not necessary because of more appealing sound, looks or playability but rather because I today associate the Stratocaster too much with dreary artists such as Mark Knopfler.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 665 66 Next