Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
166 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
113 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
20 hours ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
20 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Introductions! New Members Post Here

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 224 25 26 27 2855 56 Next

Welcome Vince_Ray!

By chance, are you the artist known as Vince Ray? If so, I dig your work!!!

Yes Josheboy, glad you like the artwork. I'm just doing the poster for the next Viva Las Vegas and was pleased to see that Dick Dale is appearing..and that prompted me to get going on this forum

Welcome to sg101, Vince_Ray! Glad you're here.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Welcome to SG101, dig your art as well.
Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Hi Vince_Ray. Welcome to sg101. I was looking at pedals on the Nocturne website and, lo and behold, I see you've got a stomp box, the Nocturne Fuzz-Ray, named after you. That's pretty cool.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

O hai. I'm Carson. I was born a few years too late to experience the surf era in all its glory, but I've always liked it. I'd never quite "gotten" it as a genre, though, until earlier this year when I found myself listening to Rhino's "Surfin' Hits" collection on endless repeat and realized "Hey, this stuff is fantastic." I then went out and got as much of it as I could and stuffed my iPod full of it.

By this point, I was also already Yet Another Indie Musician On The Internet, so I tried my hand at writing and recording some surf just for the hell of it... and found out that I really enjoyed it. I put my second EP on hold to focus entirely on a surf project (which will be finished soon), and here I am, Danelectro in one hand and Strat in the other.

"Stop Me Before I Surf Again" at Band Camp.com

Welcome to sg101, Carson! Very glad you're here. Lookin' forward to hearing your music.

Hi all! I've been hangin' out here at SG101 for several weeks and have been enjoying all the great people, music and info!! I'm Mike, born in the birth home of Rock&Roll, Cleveland, Ohio! And yes, there's NO surf in Cleveland, except for surf music! (reference to the Euclid Beach Band's song of the same name: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYHnBYZwP94 ). I grew up in the 60's, sidewalk surfing and listening to surf and rock all the while.
I've played in several folk and rock bands over the years. Recently I got bit by the surf music bug again, went out and bought a Squier Surf Strat and have been having a blast! Met a couple surf fans near me and am working on getting a band of my own going.
I enjoy the site and look forward to listening to the bands and playing more surf!! I play guitar and bass, and am actively looking to get a surf band together in the Cleveland area.

Last edited: Sep 01, 2015 15:00:02

Welcome to sg101, Mike. Glad you're here. All the best getting the band started.

Welcome guys!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Thanks guys!!

Dead_Gremmie wrote:

O hai. I'm Carson. I was born a few years too late to experience the surf era in all its glory, but I've always liked it. I'd never quite "gotten" it as a genre, though, until earlier this year when I found myself listening to Rhino's "Surfin' Hits" collection on endless repeat and realized "Hey, this stuff is fantastic." I then went out and got as much of it as I could and stuffed my iPod full of it.

By this point, I was also already Yet Another Indie Musician On The Internet, so I tried my hand at writing and recording some surf just for the hell of it... and found out that I really enjoyed it. I put my second EP on hold to focus entirely on a surf project (which will be finished soon), and here I am, Danelectro in one hand and Strat in the other.

Any friend of Danelectro is a friend of mine- welcome to the real boogie board!

Da Vinci Flinglestein,
The quest for the Tone, the tone of the Quest

The Syndicate of Surf on YouTube

http://www.syndicateofsurf.com/

http://sharawaji.com/

http://surfrockradio.com/

Syndicateofsurf wrote:

Any friend of Danelectro is a friend of mine- welcome to the real boogie board!

Yah, I have a '59 reissue and I love that thing. Found it in a guitar shop and then went back a year later and it was still there so I bought it for my birthday. About to swap out the rosewood bridge for one o' them new-fangled intonatable jobbies. Hope it'll be the improvement I think it will.

Also Noel, and anyone else interested, you can hear most of my surf stuff on my Band Camp page. Link's in the .sig

"Stop Me Before I Surf Again" at Band Camp.com

Welcome to SG101 GuitarMuk and Dead Gremmie!
Count me in with the Dano lovers Carson

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

I've been hanging out here some lately so it's about time I made a formal introduction. I was born in '54, and grew up in the South Bay (Torrance/PV). I started playing guitar in '64--got my first guitar for my 10th birthday. I was a little late to catch the 1st Surf wave, but I do recall some hangers-on and witnessed a few shows at North High--I do recall the buzz that the Fender Jag was THE guitar to have if you were a lead player (back when you were defined as either lead or rhythm). The first things I scratched out on my guitar were the basic melodies to Pipeline, Wipe Out, Walk Don't Run, and Penetration (before progressing to Gloria and Wild Thing lol). I also had a couple of the "Play Guitar with the Ventures" LP's. We started up a "band" in the 5th grade called "The Chargers", me with my cheap acoustic with a cheaper soundhole mic, one friend with a cheapo electric, and another friend playing "bass" on the bottom strings-- on his cheapo guitar--all plugged into one tiny amp. We later added a drummer for one rehearsal, as a kid in the neighborhood rented a set. We thought we were pretty good (hey we were only 10 and 11-year-olds), but I'm sure it was horrible--I know my parents recorded us on the console stereo and wish I still had the tapes! We never did any gigs of course Smile
Like others in my cohort I soon got into the Beatles and that's how I primarily learned chords--from Beatle songbooks. At about age 14 I got more serious (I had an electric by then) and started taking lessons from a great teacher who taught many styles. We had a pretty hip band in HS and early college age, mainly focusing on Blues and Blues Rock--things like Tull, Wishbone Ash, etc. I've been in bands pretty much since--doing Blues, traditional Country, Swing, Rockabilly, etc. In some of the bands we managed to squeeze in a Surf tune or two here and there. I play guitar, nonpedal steel (hence Stringmaster), and a little bass.

Recently I've had a renewed interest in Surf and Instro stuff--primarily the 1st wave stuff from my youth. It's been a fun diversion from playing Blues, and it's helping to keep my memory intact as I get older :). I don't know where I'll go with it, but I may try to start something up if I can find a like-minded partner or band in the San Diego area. If nothing else I'll keep trying to learn tunes on my own for the fun of it. Oh, and I did attend the Surf101 Convention which really helped to inspire me. Seems like a great bunch of folks involved, and there were some killer bands!
Thanks for all of the info/inspiration on this forum. I look forward to meeting some of you and shaking hands at some point.
Thanks, Dana

Last edited: Sep 04, 2015 18:53:13

Jobe here, and glad to have found this site!

Welcome to sg101, Stringmaster and Jobe! Very glad you're here.

Stringmaster & Jobe, Hello and welcome to the site.

I enjoyed your story, Stringmaster. Thanks for sharing.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Hello from Warner Robins, Georgia. Found this site few days ago. Im serious about wanting to get into some "surf music" I just got a little burnt out on Blues, hard rock, metal, etc. ....this is pretty new and totally "refreshing" I just purchases a new Fender Deluxe Roadhouse in Sonic Blue...and cant help but to have that Surfin vibe.
Been playing guitar..for ...hmmm...40 years? lol. Growing up in Iowa, the Midwest, cant say I was exposed to any surf music in the mid/late 70's. Other than the old Capitol swirl Beach Boys 45's I found in my grandma's garage.
I don't think the Surf bug got me until around 2001, when I was heavy into Telecaster, honky tonk music and had some CD's of Junior Brown. He had a track called "Surf Medley" that had parts of Wipe Out/Pipeline,etc,etc. that's I always enjoyed.
Wasn't until 2013 me and my brother went to see the King of Surk, DICK DALE in a small hole in the wall club in Atlanta. Sweet Jesus!! We were blown away!! it was Loud! I started getting all those Dick Dale cd's....and to top it off me and the missus took our bucket vacation last year to Hawaii.....so the surfin vibe is in my head.
Me and my brother (a drummer) get to jam every 3 or 4 months..and he insists...."LETS play that surf medley!!"
anyway...im digging deeper into Surf music..got me the new Strat, a delay pedal, a digitech digiverb..and ready to go.

Hey there, Shakey! Welcome to the site! If you're feeling adventurous and want to see a whole SLEW of surf music relatively close to home, come on up to Atlanta on Saturday (Sep 19) for the all day Southern Surf StompFest!
More info here: http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/26429/?page=1

Goto Page: Previous 1 224 25 26 27 2855 56 Next