Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SurfGuitar101 Website »

Permalink The State of SG101 - News, Updates, Ideas for the Website itself

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 27 8 9 10 1117 18 Next

Have a really surfin' good time Brian! Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Our calendar is now aggregating several Google calendars. This allows us to share more information without duplicating efforts across the surf music community. And, it also allows you to filter out stuff you don't want to see. I took all of the surf music radio shows off the SG101 event calendar, and added them to a new "Various Surf Radio Shows" calendar. Neils is in the process of updating a NSSR schedule calendar. And I've added Chad Shiver's Southern Surf Stomp calendar to the mix.

If you are a member of the surf music community and you have your own calendar you would like displayed in the mix here, please contact me and let me know.

Too much information? Just use the drop-down in the upper-right corner to filter the calendars as seen in this screen shot:

Special thanks to Chad Shivers for approaching me and asking if it was possible to import his calendar into ours. This got me poking around and I found out you could do this, which seems very useful. Now whenever he or Neils updates their calendars, the changes automatically show up here.

Questions, comments, suggestions?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Sep 08, 2015 19:25:35

OH. MY. That is the slickest freakin' thing.
Just very Well Done, Brian.
(and for you squids out there...)

Cool Thumbs Up

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

This is fantastic! Thank you so much Brian for all that you do.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Very, very cool!
As always I am grateful for all that you do Brian.
Chad, great suggestion.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

I've been working on this in the background so long I'm sick of it. But here is the first step in our move to use SSL (https) on SG101. First of all I have to stop you guys from hot linking to images hosted on non-SSL sites. That will go into effect shortly.

The little photo icon in the posting box toolbar will go away. If you want to hot-link an image hosted elsewhere on the Internet, a new form will appear below the Video Attachments section. You can paste the URL into that form and hit submit. That will download the photo from the remote site and upload it into our cloud storage (which uses https). An embed code will be placed in the post box. And as before, if you want to upload a photo from your computer or device, that same form will still be there for you below the new form.

This will go live shortly. You may need to clear out your browser cache before this will work for you. The easiest way to do that on a desktop browser is to hold down shift and click the refresh button on a SG101 page.

Okay, here is a screenshot of the changes. First, the little photo thing is gone. If it isn't for you, please clear your browser's cache. Second, you can see the new form for hot-linking to images that are already hosted on the internet.

Give me a few days to update the FAQ on the wiki and some of the other "how to post photo" threads we have around here.

The next step is to run my script over nearly 10 years of posts that will grab all hot-linked images and upload them to our cloud storage. Then we'll be able to buy a SSL certificate and get that green padlock in our browsers when visiting this site. I'm hoping this wont' take too long but we'll see.

Questions? Problems? Concerns? Let me know. I'll be watching the error logs over the next few days.

Here is a test.

That is Dick Dale.

Is space ever going to be a concern, as all images will be hosted on your server space(virtual I presume)?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

JakeDobner wrote:

Is space ever going to be a concern, as all images will be hosted on your server space(virtual I presume)?

I'm paying for storage from Amazon using their S3 service. So no, space should not be a concern. However this is a service I'm paying for. It costs around $0.60 a month so far, but that will go up once I copy 10 years of photos to it. Smile

How much is the SSL cert? Smile

Wes

Badger wrote:

How much is the SSL cert? Smile

I will let you know, but i need your social security and your pin # first.

I haven't decided what kind of SSL certificate to get yet. There are free ones available but I may spring for one that has identify information, and those cost a bit more.

I'm really eager to get us on SSL finally, and then I can start working on a new site design that's more mobile friendly.

So how's everyone getting along with the hot-linking change? I've only had one person ask me a question about it so far.

I'm about 30% of the way through all 333,000+ posts, saving all the unsafe images to our cloud storage.

Doesn't seem like much gnashing of teeth.
Appreciate all you do Brian; you must be scripting your butt off.

Wes

So all of a sudden outlook.com and Hotmail are blocking emails from our server. You won't be able to receive email notifications or even register from one of those email providers. Hopefully this is temporary. I don't know the reason at this time.

Brian wrote:

So all of a sudden outlook.com and Hotmail are blocking emails from our server. You won't be able to receive email notifications or even register from one of those email providers. Hopefully this is temporary. I don't know the reason at this time.

I take it you don't use Hotmail yourself Brian because It isn't the first time you've mentioned it. For whatever reason they have the occasional few minutes outage every now and then.

Well it's not an outage, they are refusing all mail from our server because of "policy" reasons. It could be that they think I am spamming you. Or it may be that another server in my providers network has been flagged as a spammer.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015 10:58:34

Goto Page: Previous 1 27 8 9 10 1117 18 Next