Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Memorial Day

Page 1 of 1

A short history of Memorial Day:

On Monday, May 26, Americans will celebrate Memorial Day, a U.S. federal holiday that commemorates U.S. men and women who have died in military service to their country.

The day, formerly known as "Decoration Day," originated in 1868 when Union General John Logan designated a day to honor Union soldiers who died during the American Civil War by decorating their graves. It was first observed on May 30, a date which was chosen because it was not the anniversary of a battle. After World War I, the day was expanded to honor those who died in any war or military action.

The alternative name of "Memorial Day" was first used in 1882; however it did not become common until after World War II, and was not declared the official name by federal law until 1967. On June 28, 1968, U.S. Congress passed the Uniform Holidays Bill, which moved Memorial Day from its traditional date to the last Monday in May to create a three-day weekend.

Many people observe the holiday by visiting cemeteries and memorials. A national moment of remembrance takes place each year at 3 p.m. eastern time. Some Americans use Memorial Day to honor any family members who have died, and not just servicemen or servicewomen.

In addition to remembrance, Memorial Day also is a time for picnics, family gatherings and, for some Americans, the unofficial beginning of summer. One of the longest standing traditions is the running of the Indianapolis 500, which has been held in conjunction with Memorial Day since 1911.

Please take a moment away from your revelry, shopping, or relaxing, and thank those that gave so much for us.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Thanks Brian! I certainly will!

Jet

Brian
Last year we visited the USS Arizona Memorial whilst on vacation in Hawaii.It was a a humbling and sobering experience.It really brought home the horrors that the servicemen stationed in Hawaii endured in 1941. Although we are not Americans it brought home to us the courage and sacrifice that those brave men endured. The world would be a very different place if it were not for the sacrifices made by America and her allies.
God Bless America and her allies

Marty

For having been in the U.S. military for 19 years (2 years Army, 17 years Army National Guard), my perspective is always somewhat different, when it comes to U.S. holidays with a service connection: Armed Forces Day & Memorial Day (May); Independence Day (July); Veteran's Day (November).

Matt

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

Surfabilly
For having been in the U.S. military for 19 years (2 years Army, 17 years Army National Guard), my perspective is always somewhat different, when it comes to U.S. holidays with a service connection: Armed Forces Day & Memorial Day (May); Independence Day (July); Veteran's Day (November).

Matt

Matt, Thanks for giving volunteering to do so much service for our country. Can you elaborate on your different perpective?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

In remembrance of those who lost their lives while serving in the armed forces, you are on my mind and in my heart, and I am ever grateful.

To all who lost such a loved one, I also honor your heavy sacrifices. May my son, and all who now serve, never join their ranks.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Right on Brian!! Agree Thumbs Up

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

I live next door to Camp Pendleton. The past few weeks have been hard we lost some good Marines in the Napal helicopter crash and two more in the Hawaii osprey crash. San Clemente has an adopted unit at Pendleton. On each Memorial Day we hold two ceremonies (morning and afternoon). Monday will be very difficult as members from our adopted unit were so recently killed. It is a very sobering time when young lives are lost. Simper Fi.

Happy Sunsets!

A most appropriate bump Noel, thank you.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I am thankful for those that serve and have served.

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

I thought this was a new post, when I first saw it. Then I saw that I'd replied to it back in 2008. I retired at the end of July 2010, with a total of 21 years of military service. Danny, as to your question about my different perspective, it's probably not any different than anybody else that truly appreciates the meaning behind military connected holidays, except that I served until I retired. Since my retirement, my perspective has changed more to appreciating the men and women that are currently serving our country.

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

Thanks to all those who serve, including my Marine Corps son. Love to all those folks who have paid the ultimate price.

Either you surf, or you fight.

To my Brothers and Sisters that had to leave early.
See ya at the RP.
Cheers

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

To our international friends: this thread was made in 2008 when the forum was much smaller. I probably would not have posted this thread today given a few incidents in our past. In any event, please know this thread is about an American holiday and it is not meant to be political. Thanks for your understanding.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Page 1 of 1