Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 219 20 21 22 23135 136 Next

Ok, so without reading all 20 pages, can anybody give me an estimate on what it would cost to build one of these things?

~100$ for the Surfy Bear + pan...the rest depends on what you want.

The Hicadoolas

The board was $86 and I bought a tank, knobs, feet and a handle from Amplified parts. With shipping, the invoice was $55. I will build an enclosure and I bought a power supply that was less than $20 with shipping. So far the total is around $160.

$86 for circuit shipped
$20 – tank
$10 – vintage toolbox
$8 – 3 Fender Brownface knobs
(already had hi-fi RCA cords)
=
$124
...but it's worth a lot more to me – satisfaction of beating the high cost of great reverb using a little craft enabled by SG101 to find Bjorn's Surfy Bear.

Squink Out!

Took mine to work and a couple fellow guitar players checked it out and were impressed with the sound. Next demo is with a friend who played surf in the 60s. He has an old Beltone tube amp ans am curious to see how it sounds. I am running mine through a solid state roland.
Already thinking about building another as a spare........lol

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

Ok, now is the website finally updated with info about the new R4 version of the Surfy Bear FET Reverb! A lot of work, but fun Wink
The new SMD board is smaller in size and price.

As usual, let me know if you have questions!
My english is far from perfect...please contact me if you find errors or info is missing.

/Bjorn

2 Kits ordered today...each for my co-guitarist and me...matching red toolboxes on stage!! Big Grin

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

The new R4 looks amazing in form factor. Björn managed to reduce the board size from 100˟70mm to 80˟35mm! And get rid of the heat sinks. That's a major difference which opens up for us much more creative enclosure possibilities.
Also, the new dwell gain trim pot definitely seems like something beneficial to experiment with.
I'm excited to try this one, this time with an Accutronics pan. Maybe even mount the SMD PCB on the reverb pan itself, with proper shielding. I have an idea in the works Hmmm

Great work, Björn, thank you for keeping improving on an already incredible solution! Drool

bjoish wrote:

Ok, now is the website finally updated with info about the new R4 version of the Surfy Bear FET Reverb! A lot of work, but fun Wink
The new SMD board is smaller in size and price.

As usual, let me know if you have questions!
My english is far from perfect...please contact me if you find errors or info is missing.

/Bjorn

Last edited: Dec 04, 2014 06:58:16

I found this page:
http://fuzzkaizer.tumblr.com/tagged/FET-reverb
It features pics of cool builds and links to this thread. Nice!
Lots of other inspiring stuff there if you wanna have a look.

Last edited: Dec 04, 2014 07:21:19

It's going viral now!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Perhaps someone who has built one or two of these & has extensive experience at this point with the circuits could update the SG101 Reverb Wiki (see my sig block) under the Others or Honorable Mentions category.
Stir the Pot

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I've just ordered a kit . Smile
I'm going to start looking for enclosure ideas. Do reverb tanks come with mounting hardware ?

I'm flattered that my imageis image at the top of the page!
DreadInBabylon wrote:

I found this page:

Squink Out!

DreadInBabylon wrote:

I found this page:

That was nice, collecting all those pics on one page. Cool
Inspiring!

warioblast wrote:

I've just ordered a kit . Smile
I'm going to start looking for enclosure ideas. Do reverb tanks come with mounting hardware ?

My MOD-pan came with rubber/silicone spacers.
My Accutronics pans came with nothing.

warioblast wrote:

Do reverb tanks come with mounting hardware ?

Anchor springs
Extension springs

I sourced the mounting screws that support the anchor springs from a hardware store. I didn't make a note of their size Argh but they should fit tight enough that you need to 'screw' the springs on to the bolts.

Or, as Bjorn suggested, you can just fit some rubber grommets on the Accutronics tank and save about US$25.00. DIrectly mounting the pan to the front plate works as well as the spring method and the tank doesn't rattle as bad during transport.

If I recall correctly, someone showed pics of a cool, less expensive mounting system earlier in this thread.

Speaking of tanks, I have both current models and would recommend the MIK Accutronics. It has a shorter decay rate than the MOD and doesn't sound echoey like the MOD. Looking at the two springs sets on the MOD, it looks like one set is sretched out more than the other set and I think this causes the echo. Can anyone confirm that theory? Anyway, The Accu sounds warmer -- very much like my US-made Accutronics.

Good luck with your build warioblast and be sure to post pics of your project!

I want to mount one of those on the adjacent wall of my tank.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

cambeezy wrote:

DIrectly mounting the pan to the front plate works as well as the spring method...

From limited my experiments, I wouldn't say as well, but well enough for most home/studio circumstances. For live use, the spring method still seems preferable, since a lot is going on on stage. It's effectively double absorption (or triple if you hang it from a string like DD...)

cambeezy wrote:

Speaking of tanks, I have both current models and would recommend the MIK Accutronics. It has a shorter decay rate than the MOD and doesn't sound echoey like the MOD. Looking at the two springs sets on the MOD, it looks like one set is sretched out more than the other set and I think this causes the echo. Can anyone confirm that theory? Anyway, The Accu sounds warmer -- very much like my US-made Accutronics.

I'll take that recommendation. We're talking vertical, right? My MOD seems to display the same characteristics that you and others have described. I still like the sound a lot, but chasing the reverb dragon is a worthy endeavor, and so much more fun when it's an analog one!
So. Which one of us is the first maniac that starts winding his own custom Reverb springs? Shocked

From Accutronics website:
In addition to the coil and magnets, the transducers also contain DAMPER DISCS within the BRASS SLEEVE assemblies. The SUPPORT WIRES, to which the magnets are mounted, pass through the discs, which results in a controlled application of friction, or 'braking' action, on the twisting spring assemblies. The DECAY TIME performance specification of a reverb unit is dependent on the choice of material type and thickness of the DAMPER DISC; the TRANSMISSION SPRINGS are the same for all the available decay time ranges for any given model.

If the input of a single-spring reverb assembly was driven with a single pulse-like signal (an amplified 'snap'), a series of delayed output pulses would result. The first delay would represent the amount of time the sound required to travel through an equivalent of the uncoiled length of the spring. Following this, the pulse would be reflected from the output side, travel back through the spring, be reflected by the input side, and return through to the output side. This results in subsequent delays having a length of twice the initial DELAY TIME.

When the spring is driven with a sustained audio signal, the delayed reflections overlap the incoming sound. Depending upon the frequencies found in the incoming signal, the reflected sound can interact to result in a series of RESONANCES.

To avoid this unevenness over the frequency response range in an actual reverb unit, two or three spring delay paths are used, each with a different delay time rating. The Type 4 (full-sized two-spring) reverb unit, for example, provides DELAY TIMES of 34 and 41 milliseconds, chosen for the fullest and most even overlapping of delayed sound.

Last edited: Dec 06, 2014 12:07:15

DreadInBabylon wrote:

for live use, the spring method still seems preferable ...

Specially for crashes!

So. Which one of us is the first maniac that starts winding his own custom Reverb springs?

Hope springs eternal Wink

DreadInBabylon wrote:

From Accutronics website:
In addition to the coil and magnets......

I diddnt know that. Very interesting, Ariel!
So the decay time is all about those damper discs.
I wonder if it possible to modify the decay time or the delay time...

Last edited: Dec 06, 2014 18:14:13

Goto Page: Previous 1 219 20 21 22 23135 136 Next