Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink Noel's Recording Studio

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next

I have three possibilities to consider for the recording project I have, in what is now almost certain to be May of 2015, after the Instro Summit.

1. Borrow all the equipment I need. Unlikely but not impossible at this time.

2. Rent all the equipment I need. The pros and cons are obvious.

3. Buy all the equipment I need. I get just what I want and can keep it as long as I want without incurring extra charges if we run over in recording or post-production. But then what? I'll have all this recording equipment sitting around.

But does it need to just sit around? I have an idea, and want to get a sense of the community about starting a mobile recording business. We've all been disappointed with the audio of many videos. Either there's too much distortion, conversation by the camera, or you can't hear some of the musicians in the audio at all.

Would people be interested in someone who could come to your location with quality recording gear, who loves and appreciates surf and related music and a good recording of it, and who could record you in your favorite location, be it your garage, back yard party, basement, wherever? At this stage I'd leave publishing to the artists, but you'd keep the finished music on an SD or flash card to use as you like.

This isn't a get rich quick scheme. I'd like to cover all my travel expenses, consumables like media, and enough extra for my time and effort to make it worthwhile.

So, is this a brilliant idea, or something... less? Please tell me what you think?

Thanks!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015 15:50:13

Oh! I forgot. This is NOT to compete with legitimate recording studios or publishers. It's for anyone who'd just like a good-sounding recording of a live performance for themselves and their friends.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014 23:48:14

A good idea. But, as a potential customer (which, being in the UK, I'm not), I would want to know what equipment you are talking about and how you would be approaching the recording process.

Los Fantasticos

I like the general idea, but actually recording an instrumental(!) band has become so easy this days: I simply put a Zoom H1 digital recorder near the front of the stage facing the band, turned slightly to the lead guitar. For an experienced band playing with a balanced stage sound: That's pretty much it. A little EQing and compression later on and you have a very decent live recording.

Everything going beyond that (single microphones for each instrument etc.) you would not only need the equipment, but also someone able (and willing) to operate it properly. Mikes have to be placed properly and EQed in the right way to get a certain sound and the more mikes you have the more complicated and time consuming it is to mix the stuff later on.

But as said: I like the idea. Actually someone has done this already to some extent: A guy named ChromeOxide does live recordings for some surfbands, he even has a calendar of the gigs he is going to!

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

When I first bought my xd 32 track i set myself up to do mobile recording. Had a huge case made and bought a ton of mics for it. I recorded a few concert bands and it was kind of fun. I lobbied high schools to record their different bands but got busy with other things and didn't push it anymore.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Hi everyone,
Our band "The Aquatudes" have been fortunate to have had many of our live performances recorded for posterity by a variety of methods. As others have stated above, a balanced stage mix is key when capturing audio with a single recorder in front of your band. I will also say that nothing beats a little video for communicating the vibe and look of our band in a live setting for potential clients and fans. In the spirit of further exploration of this topic, and shameless self-promotion of our band and our recording partners, I offer the following links by way of examples of a variety of techniques and the trade-offs in recording effort, sound quality, composition, lighting and audience energy evident in each.

First example is The Aquatudes performing Harlem Nocturne at Unsteady Freddie's Surf Rock Shindig. Recorded by The Unsteady One himself using a hand-held camera while he roams the room and stage. Note the trade-offs between sound quality and the camera close ups of all of the band. Signature Unsteady Freddie technique! As the drummer sitting in a fixed location, I appreciate that I am not obscured by guitar headstocks during the whole set!
Our second example is of The Aquatudes performing "Hawaiian War Chant" at Bobby D's "Surf Nite!" during the show we shared the stage with Daikaiju. Recorded by Local Band Review. Note the single fixed camera location. I believe the external mic was a Zoom H4.
Our final example is a professionally recorded, edited and produced video of The Aquatudes performing Tom's original "Take The Pipe", recorded at The Dirt Salon by First Up Films. Note the multiple cameras, thoughfully placed. I believe the sound was captured with a Zoom H2n, placed about 6 feet high about 10 feet in front of the stage. Lots of cool synching with the video!
Hope this has been helpful!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Dick

*Dick B.
The Aquatudes
http://www.aquatudes.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Aquatudes/107419619521

Noel, you asked...I humbly offer my honest and personal opinion.
I've worked for years with live sound PA companies, mostly stage and theater. Recording was only a small part of it. I'm far from claiming I know what I'm doing, but I've seen, heard and been part of so many messy situations and solutions it's not even funny.
Even a tiny session can take hours setup to achieve great results. Average is accessible to everyone these days. Most rooms you'll hypothetically visit will probably be untreated acoustically, you'll have to be creative and have the right tools.

Let's examine this logical progression...
1) need to record the project nicely ->
2) justify the purchase of gear ->
3) become a Recording Engineer!
Shocked ?

1) can be solved with any of the methods you described. Buy what you need to make you happy now, you've earned it, the hell with excuses. You can re-sell it and it will keep it's value. Good gear does not 'sit around'. I'd stay away from low-end gear, unless you don't have anything and are really tight. Either great stuff (that can also help with the next points) if you can afford, or get great stuff elsewhere for this one gig. That will be a learning experience, you'll recognize your abilities and needs better after this session anyway. Enjoy it, the process only begins here.

2) there's a thread for that (Gearapholics...)
Realize that anyone can buy and operate a consumer recording rig same as you. What extra can you bring to the table?

3) You have no idea the amount of variables that you will encounter doing field work. In order to leave customers happy, you'll need experience+knowledge in audio, sound, fixing stuff... and much more gear than you planned initially. It's a profession on it's own, and you'll be competing with professionals who offer their services for bottom prices, for the same above reason.
It might not be as fun as you think... but you're at a place where you can do whatever you want.
From the little I know about you: You truly love music, have great ears and are creatively talented, you're an exceptionally empathic person, sensitive and been through some shit in your life. IMHO all those are the classic qualities not for a recordist necessarily, but for an old fashioned style music producer. If that job only existed today... Cool

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014 15:27:54

So how would it be different than taking a feed off the board?

raito wrote:

If you've ever done that, you'll know the answer. Rarely does a stereo feed from the mixing desk sound anything like the sound of the band in the room. Being able to take a multitrack feed from the desk is a different matter, however.

Los Fantasticos

raito wrote:

It wouldn't sound like a drum solo show!

Noel, that's an excellent idea, but I have to agree with the majority here. Digital hand held recorders are very inexpensive, and produce decent enough results for most bands. I think to make this viable you'd have to put in a lot of investment, both financial and time.

But again, an excellent idea. Good to see folk looking out for their music community.

djangodeadman wrote:

If you've ever done that, you'll know the answer. Rarely does a stereo feed from the mixing desk sound anything like the sound of the band in the room. Being able to take a multitrack feed from the desk is a different matter, however.

I have done that, and it usually sounds better (most rooms just don't sound all that good). But it does require that everything get miked, and usually requires a different mix (like monitors, for example). Ideally, you would multitrack that feed for later mixing, as you say. And if you're after something that sounds live, you'd also put a mike out there for crowd sound.

It also requires that you have a board to mix to, which may not be the case for smaller bands/venues. I've seen a lot of band pictures here where it looks like nothing but amps and drums, and a small PA just to get the voice intros some volume.

I'm not ignoring everyone. And I'm really very thankful for all the great comments. I'm still sorting things out, looking at recording gear and software, and not ready to respond, let alone make a decision. I have home studio tracking to do in the immediate future, and need better hardware & software just for that. Then comes the live jam recording sessions in May. I need to ensure these sessions aren't wasted, and that every musician is heard in the final mix, however I record the performances, unlike when we were recorded in October. I haven't decided on anything after that.

raito wrote:

djangodeadman wrote:

But it does require that everything get miked, and usually requires a different mix (like monitors, for example).

Which is not always possible. And even when it is, it requires time, access to the desk or the co-operation of the sound engineer, which you may, or may not have.

Los Fantasticos

Last edited: Dec 02, 2014 02:01:19

I want to thank everyone for their helpful comments. I will not be planning to turn into a traveling record studio engineer any time soon. But I still need a decent home recording system, and something that will let me make a really good recording of our sessions in May.

If I go multitrack, for longer-term capabilities, how would those with experience with either of these rate them for ease of use and quality of result?

Zoom R24
Tascam DP32-SD

They both support up to 8 mic inputs and write to SD cards, have a display screen and faders. And they sell for the same price.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014 17:49:58

What is the lineup of the band you will be recording?
What will your approach to the recording be? Will you record the whole band playing together or will you track one instrument at a time (or something between the two)?
The answers to these questions will help you decide whether those devices are adequate for your needs.

Los Fantasticos

djangodeadman wrote:

What is the lineup of the band you will be recording?
What will your approach to the recording be? Will you record the whole band playing together or will you track one instrument at a time (or something between the two)?
The answers to these questions will help you decide whether those devices are adequate for your needs.

There'll be more than 10 of us, maybe up to 14. Not everyone on playing every song, unless they really want to. There'll be 2 drum kits, an electric piano and organ, 2 simultaneous bassists on one song, and everyone else is a guitarist. If you've ever seen The Beach Boys' or Brian Wilson's current concert lineup, it's like that.

Even 8 inputs may not be enough to simultaneously mic every sound source. I could limit the total number of players per song to 8, and just mic their them, but I don't want to. Mostly, I want to ensure I capture audio from every player, which did not happen in the videos from October.

I think I want to mic the room, like a concert hall mics the stage for a symphony or choir performance, with an array of mics spread out across the front. But I'm not sure how much space we'll have or what the room will sound like. Which is why going old-school 2 mic for left-side/right-side basic stereo after ensuring everyone is loud enough to be in the mix, is so appealing. And simpler.

I also admit that limiting the number of simultaneous players to 8, so I can mic each one separately, helps with post-production. Maybe I can have multiple amps share a mic?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014 12:32:43

I would not go with an 8ch. Zoom and such. It too much for home use, but not enough for this gig it seems. Looks like it's tailored to a small band, for demo's. It will not hold it's value as other gear. A worthwhile investment that you can use in a multitude of situations would be microphones.

Treat the gig like a live show. Too much time setting up before each take can break the flow, concentration and patience of anybody, and there's no second takes. You'd need everything to be as ready and as easy as possible for everybody including you, so you can all perform at your best.

Ideally you'd want to rent/buy a bunch of microphones, mic every amp/instrument separately, a pair of overheads for each drum-set, a pair of room mics. You don't want to move microphones in the middle of the session. Don't share sound sources on the same line. It can sound good but can also be surprisingly nasty. Mix it with a small stage mixer if you don't have enough channels.
Prep the room and position the players so they can hear themselves and others well. Setup for best sound on room mics. Either way, they will be your main tracks. Sound check for half a day.
Feed those channels either to a rented digital console that can handle the no. of tracks (at least 16 I'm afraid) or an analog console and mix on the fly to stereo. Monitor with closed headphones.
Check for the venue's/room's electrical integrity, or bring your own PS.
Good luck. How much money you want to pour into this, including everything?
Even cable costs can pile up...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014 13:19:08

My immediate need is proper recording equipment and software to lay down a high-quality track. And I'm completely confused about how to accomplish this. I need, 1) to hear the song I'm playing along with, and 2) also hear my guitar as I'm playing it, while 3) only recording my guitar. I can't figure out what I need in order to do that. Everything I've identified seems to allow only for two out of three of my requirements. I'll buy what I need, if I know what it is. Thanks in advance!

Simplest configuration for that:
DAW on computer(I again recommend REAPER):
track 1: add the stuff you wanna play over
track 2: armed for recording, mono input from soundcard [gtr->fx->amp->mic->pre->adc]
output: Master DAW track to soundcard to closed headphones.

DreadInBabylon wrote:

Simplest configuration for that:
DAW on computer(I again recommend REAPER):
track 1: add the stuff you wanna play over
track 2: armed for recording, mono input from soundcard [gtr->fx->amp->mic->pre->adc]
output: Master DAW track to soundcard to closed headphones.

And this means I record both tracks, hear both tracks while I'm playing, but only use my guitar track? Cool! And THANKS!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014 15:59:15

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next