Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » For Sale / Trade »

Permalink WTB: Fender 62 AVRI or Thin Skin Jazzmaster

Page 1 of 1

Looking for a 62 AVRI. Black, White, OTM, basically anything not sunburst. Would be VERY interested in an alder body Think Skin Jazzmaster as well. Any color for one of those would be considered.

Johnny_Alien wrote:

Looking for a 62 AVRI. Black, White, OTM, basically anything not sunburst. Would be VERY interested in an alder body Think Skin Jazzmaster as well. Any color for one of those would be considered.

All but a very few Thin Skins were alder.

Ebay is full of AVRIs and often has thin skins. Don't pay over $1500 for a thin skin and you don't need to pay over $1100 for an AVRI, you can even find a sunburst for $1000.

I thought all of the 62 thin skins were alder and only 59's had some ash bodies. I admit I don't know alot about their specs. I know they have 9.5 radius necks which I like. But I am happy with 7.25 too. Right now there are only overpriced MIJ reissues on ebay, sadly.

Yep you just misread my post, 'all but very few thin skins were alder'. You'll pay through the nose for a '59 one.

Yeah, the 9.5 but with BIG frets. I love any radius but I never fall in love with the frets off of a thin skin.

Yeah, lots of MIJs priced in the AVRI range. Check reverb.com as well, and Gbase.com. There are A LOT of AVRIs for sale, but not always at a steal.

I have been checking gbase, reverb and ebay as well as forums. Just seems like there aren't any reasonable ones currently listed. Thanks for all your help and if anyone has one or even sees one that looks like a good deal please point it my way. I would love a black or OTM 62. I might be more apprehensive about the Thin Skin now that I know it has big frets. I assumed they were vintage size. I am OK with larger frets but prefer smaller.

And you are 100% correct I totally read what you wrote incorrectly.

Also, keep an eye out for AV 65s for $1400, they are worth the few hundred more as the pickups are superior, they have a thin skin finish, and and just super nice guitars. They are new at $2400 and some retailers are having trouble moving them which has really driven the market down on them.

My only issue with that is that I am not a huge fan of white with a matching headstock which leaves me with sunburst only. It almost seems easier to get a 62 and replace the pickups. However if they are superior in most ways perhaps putting up with the sunburst would be worth it.

Superior is a harsh word, but they are certainly more refined.

Lucky the AV65 Sunburst isn't an abomination like the AVRI62 Sunburst. Don't be forced into a color you don't like!

Get what makes you happy!

PM sent.

Thanks dreidf! I had sent a response to your PM a few days ago. It looks like it went through but let me know if that is not the case.

Not sure what the market will bear on the rare color thin-skin guitars these days. I have a 2008 Shoreline Gold Jaguar I might be parting with shortly - need to take pic's and will post here soon.

00Diablo wrote:

Not sure what the market will bear on the rare color thin-skin guitars these days. I have a 2008 Shoreline Gold Jaguar I might be parting with shortly - need to take pic's and will post here soon.

Not a ton for a Jag. They've been going $1400-$1600 on ebay.

You can get special run '65 AVRI Jags for $1400 new. Tough going for Jags right now.

Thanks for the info. I figured the much higher price of the new AV series might've lifted the market for all. But wow, $1400 for new '65 AV Jags? that seems like a pretty good deal.

00Diablo wrote:

Thanks for the info. I figured the much higher price of the new AV series might've lifted the market for all. But wow, $1400 for new '65 AV Jags? that seems like a pretty good deal.

Yeah, amazing deal. They just aren't selling. I think dealers had to buy a certain amount of the FSR Sonic Blue ones, and they are selling them brand new marked as 'used' for $1400 just to recoup their losses.

Jazzmaster pricing is pretty healthy at the moment.

I recently bought a brand new AV '58 Telecaster in Aged White Blonde (ash body) from a local GC for $1100 including tax.

Evidently some of the new AV stuff isn't moving. Bad for Fender, good for us. These are really nice instruments, near Custom Shop quality.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Page 1 of 1