Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Single guitar, stereo amplification

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Nice, Rob. Would like to hear some good audio of that.

RobC wrote:

I just ran home and tried the above split signal and it was awesome. Might have to dispense with our bass player (which is me) in my band!

Rig:
custom 27-3/4" scale baritone tuned B to B run through my stereo output TC Electronics Nova System Pedal: Left goes to my Egnater Rebel 30 amp and 1X12 cab, right goes out to my TC Electronics RH 450 bass head and 2X10 cab

EQ'd the Bass amp way down low and eq'd the guitar amp up high.

It was sweetness right off the bat.

To play live I am going to have to learn my melodic bass lines using a pick but the second guitar really fills the sound out. I will let everyone know how it flies.

univoxdontsurf wrote:

I'm pretty sure Chris Squire used to do that back in the day with his Rickenbacker stereo bass.

I don't think Chris Squire's Rick had the stereo outputs, but it sounds as if he split his signal and sent some of it through effects (vibrato on Starship Trooper) and kept some of it dry.

I've played my Rick with the stereo output running the neck pickup through the bass amp and the bridge pickup through a flanger enroute to a guitar amp. The effect was lush, three dimensional and massive!

Eric

Last edited: Dec 05, 2013 09:51:34

I don't have much to add other than I sometimes go stereo out of a Vox Delaylab into two silverface Champs on opposite sides of the room. The Delaylab lets you control the parameters of the stereo delay nicely. Very enjoyable, I can entertain myself with that for hours.

Anyone split their guitar signal (e.g using the stereo outs of the Fulltone Tape Delay) and run it through parallel spring reverb channels before the amps? I got the idea last night, since my Craftsman toolbox has plenty of room for another Surfy Bear FET reverb board and another pan, and the cost is so low for the build. IS there much benefit to discrete stereo spring reverb?

Squink Out!

For about half of the second 'Verb album, I split(via tremolo pedal) into a Super Reverb that had a stand alone tank in front of it and a super reverb that used onboard reverb.

What resulted was a sound that sounded awesome when mixed into one, and awesome when each track was panned to either side. Both fully panned and 70-30 panned, etc...

I've always have the stereo split when playing my non-surf setup. I run modulation and delays through the effects sends/returns of the Marshall and Blackstar stacks. Finding the right delay times for each amp creates a monster concert like sound. One has to be a little longer delay but when you find the sweet spot for both it's Brian May huge.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

There is a sort of "ask the panel" topic of guitar amps (including Pat Quilter) where the question of splitting two amps is asked at around 27:33. They said running two identical amps, one with reverb and one without will cause the sound to be out of phase. Can anyone throw some light on this, would it apply to any effect or say running clean on amp-A and dirty on amp-B. How would you compensate.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2