Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Other than Surf?

Page 1 of 1

Hi all,

Since the early 70's right up to now Surf Music always held a special place in my heart. So a couple years ago when I finally picked up a guitar I wasted no time in trying to learn my favorite surf songs. However my tastes also run toward rockabilly and early 50's country.

A few months ago I started a dedicated effort in moving from a very casual player to becoming a better player that could credibly get together with some other musicians interested in surf music. I often find my self wandering from focusing on surf music to rockabilly and other styles of "twangy" music.

I sometimes feel that I am holding myself back learning surf styles when I am messing around with the other stuff. On the other hand I cant imagine that learning different styles of music would actually set me back in the long run.

Does anyone here play other styles of music besides surf? If so are there any licks, chords, or patterns in rockabilly or classic country that would serve to improve my surf chops?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014 10:49:03

If you want surf chops, put a ton of reverb on it and write an original instrumental song.

Surf music is an incredibly varied genre, one doesn't not need gliassandoes/double-picking/tremolo action in each song to make it a surf song. There are bands that rely heavily on melody, those that rely more on the rhythmic drive of chords, and those that are really thought out and have dense song structures.

You shouldn't learn a 'style', you should learn songs you like if play other's songs is your thing. You should create your own style, mine is heavily entrenched in a surf sound. But don't copy the sound by ripping off licks/patterns/chords. Of course people will incorporate those things, but make sure you are doing it because it speaks to you and not because Gene Vincent did it.

Welcome to SG101 Hawk450.
I play and have always played a variety of styles.
I actually like when the styles collide here and there. A voicing inspired by Jazz, a bend inspired by Country, a Metal hinting rhythm.
Eventually all this can add up to your own individual style.
Growing as a player is what really matters to me and I find these opportunities by playing different styles of music.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Keep doing what you're doing I say. Nothing wrong with learning via multiple cross-genres. Lots of the same chops in all that you mentioned.

Now if you have a set-list of mostly SURF to learn then it's a different story?? None

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Do you like Duane Eddy? He sits right at the nexus of Rock n' Roll, Country and the beginnings of surf. He was a huge influence on the first wave. (Eddie Bertrand idolized him). Get some of his vocabulary under your fingers if you are interested in that for your own uses.

I came into playing surf from punk. I wanted something to break up the monotony of distorted power chords. Now I play surf most of the time and break it up with occasional punk, rockabilly and a little classic rock.
Most of the surf covers I play are first wave stuff, but as I've started making up short songs and riffs I've noticed it has a tendency to be more aggressive from the punk background.
I'd love to see more people respond to this thread. C'mon, you know sometimes you draw the curtains so no one will see you and rock out playing some Maiden Rock

JakeDobner wrote:

If you want surf chops, put a ton of reverb on it and write an original instrumental song.

Surf music is an incredibly varied genre, one doesn't not need gliassandoes/double-picking/tremolo action in each song to make it a surf song. There are bands that rely heavily on melody, those that rely more on the rhythmic drive of chords, and those that are really thought out and have dense song structures.

You shouldn't learn a 'style', you should learn songs you like if play other's songs is your thing. You should create your own style, mine is heavily entrenched in a surf sound. But don't copy the sound by ripping off licks/patterns/chords. Of course people will incorporate those things, but make sure you are doing it because it speaks to you and not because Gene Vincent did it.

Well said Jake, this post should be it's own topic and stickied at that.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014 14:30:59

A lot of sage advice here. I'm in the same boat as you Hawk. I'm learning everything I can and developing my own style. BTW, welcome to the forum!

Either you surf, or you fight.

DannySnyder wrote:

Well said Jake, this post should be it's own topic and stickied at that.

+2. (And also on that topic being worthy of itself.)

Welcome to the forum Hawk450!

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014 15:56:14

I started playing surf in the early 60's. music changed but I kept a lot of surf technique in my playing. blues crept in and classic rock with it. I was done with metal after Zeppelin and Sabbath faded. jazz was next and still surf technique crept in. surf came back in the early 90's and I put all of what I knew together.
soak it all up, all the influences you can. your playing will grow over the years. and you'll be a better guitar player for it!! Agree Thumbs Up

Enjoy!!

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

When I was first learning to play in the mid 60s the older musicians I was learning from really didn't differentiate between 'surf' 'rock instrumentals' 'rockabilly' or more 'modern' styles. It was all rock&roll to us.
Duane Eddy, Lonnie Mack, The Ventures, The Surfaris - their stuff was just called 'instrumentals'. Then Freddie King came along and we threw blues into the mix. Actually most of the earlier rock guitar styles were blues-based already, but thats probably for another thread...
All of the guys and gals playing what we called rock&roll could have easily sat in on the other's gigs or jammed together and would have done just fine.
In my opinion when it comes to early rock, country and blues the similarities are much greater than the differences. It's mainly a matter feel.

When I started in 1964, I thought playing instrumental guitar. I don't know it was surf music. Sometime later, I was playing other styles that are called : garage, pop, psychedelic, blues and jazz. I am very attached to the beautiful melodies that I found in suf music.

And I think that surf music is my musical mindset and a way of life.

JP

Thank you to everyone that responded to what is only my 2nd post on the forum; very generous of all.

I find that when it comes to learning guitar I can seriously over think things if I let myself. I probably spend too much time thinking about what I should be practicing, what gear I need, and if I am conforming to video based practice exercises.

Many of you confirmed some things that I really was not sure about; but already felt pretty strongly about in my gut:
- If you really like it play it, regardless if it is the style I play the most.
- Take the things you like and work it into your own style.

Revgeo and Boatanchors; I think you nailed it with your observations about "styles." In 1970 when my father would let me listen to his stacks of "45 oldies" I had absolutely no idea what the difference was between rock and roll, rockabilly, surf, and twangy country. I just knew what I liked, Ventures, Link Wray, Shadows, Duane Eddy etc...(Looking back the old man was a lot cooler than I suspected at the time)

Am I correct in assuming that your forum name is from the Honda Hawk?

wfoguy wrote:

Am I correct in assuming that your forum name is from the Honda Hawk?

You would be correct. It was the 1st new motorcycle I ever bought... way back in 1983. As with all the neat vehicles I ever owned wished I never got rid of it.

Surf_Skater wrote:

I came into playing surf from punk. I wanted something to break up the monotony of distorted power chords. Now I play surf most of the time and break it up with occasional punk, rockabilly and a little classic rock.
Most of the surf covers I play are first wave stuff, but as I've started making up short songs and riffs I've noticed it has a tendency to be more aggressive from the punk background.
I'd love to see more people respond to this thread. C'mon, you know sometimes you draw the curtains so no one will see you and rock out playing some Maiden Rock

I agree with the above quote. I started with punk went to thrash metal, acid rock, some Gilmour(Pink Floyd) stuff then to surf. I usually try to use them all when I play. I've noticed the surf songs I do are more on the heavier psychedelic side due to my background in music.

http://www.reverbnation.com/nucleusaccumbensstimulation

Page 1 of 1