Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Suggestion Box »

Permalink Extend Private messages in/outbox storage size?

Page 1 of 1

Brian, it seems that people not being able to receive PMs because their inbox is full is a common problem on SG101.

I like to keep at least a PM from each transaction I make via SG101's FS/T forum for reference. Then there are PMs I got in response to some technical questions that I want to keep because they contain valuable information. Unfortunately even when actively trying to keep the PM boxes uncluttered the storage limit is reached pretty quickly.

Would extending the storage size of the in- and outboxes take up a lot of the website's precious resources?

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Opposite problem for me, I'd like to delete some PMs permanently but they seem to end up in another storage area where the option to delete isn't yours.

Hmmm, you're right. I had never noticed that.

I made the limit so small initially because I didn't want to store lots and lots of PM's. I'd rather provide a convenient way for members to contact each other privately, and then have them take it to email after initial contact was made and they wanted to do "real" business with each other. But I suppose I can raise the limit.

I just checked and there are currently 9,093 PM's in the database, going back to 2011 when we switched over to the current site software. Sigh

When we get started on the site redesign I want to redo the whole system. The pop-up window, just like the now gone pop-up login window, was a bad idea. It doesn't work very well on small devices and phones.

So what do you think is a reasonable limit? It's 20 now I think. 50? 100? Unlimited?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

crumble wrote:

Opposite problem for me, I'd like to delete some PMs permanently but they seem to end up in another storage area where the option to delete isn't yours.

In the current design, both parties must delete the PM before it is permanent. So if you delete a PM it ends up in the trash folder. When the other person finally deletes it, it goes away for good. You can also move messages in the trash folder back into your inbox if you change your mind (and the other person hasn't trashed it).

I think the limit is 30 now. 50 would be enough in my opinion, but I don't know what others think about it.

Present sized inbox encourages PM tidiness and all messages are sent by email to you so there shouldn't a reference problem. As I'm an old punker I'm going to Do-the-standing-still on this one Smile

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014 14:52:35

To be honest I could live with the current limit. But it's pretty annoying when you try to message someone and you can't because their inbox is full, and it seems to happen quite a bit on SG101.

I would love to have an option for new PMs to push out the oldest one. I know not everybody would like that so it should probably be an option if it's possible

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

i don't understand ,i have a notification on my mail that i have a private message ,but there is no private message in the forum ?
my inbox is not full 93% only

That can happen when the sender deletes the message before you get a chance to read it.

ok thanks Brian and Happy Birthday

Brian, I now have my PM configured to send private messages to my email. This is extremely convenient, thank you very much. But I didn't used to. If there were a manual feature we could select to forward messages to our email one-by-one, as we can delete them, that would let me keep my PM boxes empty, except for the last message in a conversation (for reply purposes).

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014 07:44:32

Noel wrote:

Brian, I now have my PM configured to send private messages to my email. This is extremely convenient, thank you very much. But I didn't used to. If there were a manual feature we could select to forward messages to our email one-by-one, as we can delete them, that would let me keep my PM boxes empty, except for the last message in a conversation (for reply purposes).

I just saw it! Picard Face Palm Embarassed Duh When did you add that? I know I wasn't around much during the summer, but... I'm ROTFL

More laughter. I just learned that unless I email one PM at a time, all the checked ones come in a single email. That's one long email! Big Grin But my message boxes are up to 90% free and I've saved all the important messages. I'll just email myself these one-at-a-time from now on.

That is all.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014 09:42:26

Page 1 of 1