Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink ZT amp

Page 1 of 1

new amp day this afternoon. took my #2 mustang III and traded it for a ZT Lunchbox amp. plain jane little amp, no verb or tremolo. no digital effects, no modeling crap. it does have an ambience control to mimic an open back cab and a headphone out and external speaker jack. pretty simple amp--sounds decent and is portable as well as powerful. the ads and enclosed literature claim it has an output of 200 watts but doesn't say anything except peak watts. rms rating is not mentioned.
it seems to have a kick anyway. I'm using a digitech reverb and delay and a danelectro tremolo for the surf stuff. works OK; I want to try it with an extension speaker before I do anything else. may get another one for stereo if this works out.

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

this is it. hope I did this right!

Looks a cool little amp.
How does it sound, driving the ext cab?
Any warmth to the tone?

http://soundcloud.com/graham-pike

haven't run an extension speaker as yet. the little amp has some warmth to it but not like a tube amp.

zzero wrote:

no modeling crap.

Hey! Modeling ain't crap, at least if it's done right. I have a Vox AD-30 someone gave me two years ago and I was originally planning to sell, but I can't get around to doing it. I'll admit the high gain models are not all my cup of tea, but you wouldn't believe the cleans and crunches you can get out of it. And that's from someone who also owns 6 all-tube amps. I quite like the Fender Mustang series too.

Rant over. Enjoy your new amp! If you want to add a bit more Fendery goodness, try one of these:

No digital modeling, just old-style full-analog tone shaping Wink

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014 14:46:45

ZT makes decent stuff. The Lunchbox is a cool little grab and go unit. I have the ZT Club with the 12" speaker and like it a lot. The tone controls are very touchy but once you dial one of these in they do real well. I have one Strat in particular that just shines through the ZT with just a touch of drive dialed in, very expressive. Wierd huh? I'm a tube guy too. The Club model has reverb but will not surf. It's just enough to add a bit to a real dry room.

I bought the Club from a large internet retailer who advetised it as dead for under $200. All I had to do was replace the power switch. Big score.

I think you'll like the amp driving a 12 or 15" speaker. Enjoy!

Keep it Drippy Brothers and Sisters!

guys, I have a modeling amp, a mustang III V 2 to be precise. it is my main amp. I traded my #2 mustang III for my first ZT amp. I bought my 2nd ZT yesterday.
I use a modeling amp because it is so versatile, I play music other than surf as well as surf. when I say "modeling crap" I'm referring to "crap" as just extra stuff, not saying that modeling amps are literal shit. I can appreciate and use 2 totally different types of amp.
yesterday I ran the ZT thru a marshall 4-12 cab, monster sound!! I brought the 2nd ZT home. I now have a stereo ZT rig that sounds great.
I have a single mustang III that sounds great. looking to build a couple of 1-12 cabs for the ZT's and get another Mustang III later. anti-rant uver. Cheers

zzero wrote:

when I say "modeling crap" I'm referring to "crap" as just extra stuff, not saying that modeling amps are literal shit.

Oops Face Palm totally misinterpreted that... Sorry! Embarassed

What do you use to split your guitar's signal in order to use the Lunchboxes in stereo?

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

No problem dude!!! my slang may or may not translate well in any language.
I've got a Digitech digital reverb with 2 outs that I use to split the signal. used it with my twin mustang III setup too. the ZT's don't have reverb so I've got to do something! sounds pretty good. but it still isn't a Showman with a '63 tank. dang dang dang!!!!

forgot to turn pix around. ok, I hope you can see how it's all hooked up!

ZT Lunchbox is what I've been using for performances for about three years. In small or quiet venues I use a single lunchbox with no extension. In large venues I use 2 lunchboxes in stereo each with a 12" high power extension speaker. I typically direct the four speakers in different directions, and I place the 2 extension speakers far apart. This distributes my sound around the venue, which is much better than the usual beaming of lead guitar straight ahead from a single amp. Then there are of course intermediate venues with 1 lunchbox + 1 extension.

I have several multi-effects pedals I tried with the Lunchbox. Digitech was the only brand I could not get good tone with. The Digitech sounds great in front of a Vox amp I have, but not with any other amp.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014 16:00:53

squid--I've got a digitech bad monkey that doesn't sound good. I used a
digitech rp 70 (or one of those)with a couple of tech 21 30 watters a few years back. it worked alright. I picked up a fulltone OCD pedal the other day and it's a lot better than the bad monkey.
I do the stereo thing for sound coverage too. I think it sounds better than the big mono! unless it's a showman. anyway--stereo sounds so much bigger when I play at home. and I can ping pong the delays if I want to.
I like these ZT's more and more every time I play 'em!! Thumbs Up

here is my ZT rig ready to go!
imagestill need 2 matching extensions for playing out. could use a drummer and bass player too!! Agree Thumbs Up

Here's my usual live performance rig, although I usually bring just 2 of these 4 guitars.

The dark red guitar has six pickups, each from a different maker. By the bridge is a Roland 6-coil pickup. The pickup between neck and middle is a compact humbucker, with a smooth mellow tone. The pickup between middle and bridge is reversed in phase, and the middle knob controls its volume.

The bright red guitar has the same layout as the 5 non-Roland pickups of the dark red guitar. On both these guitars the middle pickup is extra trebly, so it sounds like the bridge but with more low end. The bridge pickup is thin and surfy. The one next to it has a broad rock-n-roll tone. The humbucker is for mellow tones, bass emulation, and distortion. The neck has the usual hollow twang.

The Steinberger has a coil split switch, and the bridge pickup was rotated so the active split coil is not the one closest to the bridge, and it is surfy. The humbuckers are very twangy. The bass and treble are active, with boost as well as cut.

The amps are ZT Lunchboxes (120 watt RMS each). Each sits on a 12" high power extension speaker in a cabinet from a 1960s Japanese combo amp that expired.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014 18:24:39

digging the ZT twins! still need 2 extension speakers. I'm selling my mustang III tomorrow, don't need it anymore and I'm tired of picking the thing up. if I ever do another band, I don't feel like dragging the mustang around.
cool guitars there!! interesting setups!! Agree

Page 1 of 1