Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink Help with DP-008

Page 1 of 1

Ok... so i have years of experience. All the way from creating a switching/patchbay to bounce tracks on a Webcor reel to reel, demos on a Tascam 244, plenty of studio time recording with several bands.

I had missed recording my own stuff in the basement, plus our 14 year old daughter is interested in recording. My wife kindly bought me a DP-008 for Christmas.

Now i'm a mechanical engineer (with the luck of designing stuff you use everyday). And i'm pretty technical...but..

Is there a "fast way" to start the ball rolling with this thing? or do i need to muscle thru the 208 page "quick start guide".

My mind still is in the analog layering and bounce thought process..

Thanks!

The Tascam Dp-008 is awesome! I have the DP-008ex but it's the same model basically.
Yeah, you can read the manual... But I found it easier to have the manual handy when you want to learn something specific at that moment. I wanted to just have input "A" as the record input so I found it in the manual just by skimming through. It was simple.
A lot of people think there are complicated menus but there's not!
If you are still not comfy on tackling it just ask me what you need, I'll try to explain it.
I got sick of latency on computers so I went back to recording on a tascam and I love it! Record ideas that instance and dump it to the pc for editing and mastering. Trust me, learn the basics with the quick start and you'll be creating instantly! Cheers!

I read this but forgot to thank you.. so thanks!

Have you checked youtube for a how to video? There seems to be one for almost anything. Even if they're not the ideal lesson, it'll help you get started and then asking the right questions.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I have also had a DP-008 for a few years. In the old analog days had a Fostex multitrack recorder (Began in the late 50's with a sound-on-sound reel to reel recorder.)

I did as Pax did, only looked something up when stumped. Very easy machine to use, much like a tape recorder, but on steroids. Also like Pax, I lay down my basic tracks on the Tascam, then export them to the computer for final tuning and mixing, etc. Glad to be able to sit on the couch, etc. to record instead of in front of the computer. Also handy for live recordings away from home.

If only my playing skills were somewhat equal to my 50 plus years of experience playing guitar! Sigh

Page 1 of 1