Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink The Madeira 10th anniversary & live CD release show, June 14th at the Melody Inn, Indy, w/ the Volcanos & the Mystery Men!!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Thanks, Brian, EJ and Warren!

I'm at the Detroit airport, waiting to board, and will have a couple of very busy days ahead, so a fuller report will have to wait a bit. But suffice to say that it was an AMAZING night! We are so grateful to all that traveled such long distances - we had people from Atlanta (not just the Mystery Men!), North Carolina (Jeremy!!) Cincinnati (a whole contingent - Stacy, Guy, Don & Elizabeth Schott, EJ, Tiki Tim), Iowa (Brian, of course - what a guy!), Louisville, KY, Rochester, NY, Nashville, TN - and, of course, Warren from SoCal! Still in disbelief he did that.. But it was just so wonderful to see everybody again and get to hang out, catch up, and share some surf talk (as well as some metal talk in case of the Mystery Men! Smile ). It really was a big party, and I'm still feeling it 36 hours later - a sure sign of a good party! (We didn't get to bed until 4:30 am.) And of course, the biggest thanks go to both the Volcanos and the Mystery Men, who trekked far to play this show - SO GOOD to see you and hear you again!

More in a few days, once I'm back home...

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

dickchiclet wrote:

Wish I could have made the show Ivan. Best of luck with the new record. I'm glad I had the honor of being a part of it. I think it reflects the shows exactly how everyone witnessed them originally. Raw with an edge! Here's to another 10 years!

Tommy, you did an amazing job, and went WAY above and beyond the call of duty! We are forever grateful! We missed you Saturday, but hope we'll be playing together again soon.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

That's funny Brain, the only video I shot was that one Laughing I wish I'd taken more. Guy taped the whole show though. Please post some videos Guy, Hint, Hint, Man what a night!!!

Eagerly awaiting videos as well. Sounds like a great show.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

I made a playlist of my recording from the show. Still uploading videos to it. Check back

The Madeira CD release, The Volcanos, & The Mystery Men

hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the show Big Grin

Yes, indeed! What a fun night.
So cool to share the stage with 2 great bands. That was my first exposure to the Mystery Men? and they are awesome. And it's always a pleasure to experience the powerhouse that is the Madeira.
Really made it special to have so many people coming in from different cities. Great to meet and talk to everybody.
Big thanks to Ivan for putting it together and inviting us to be part of it!

The Volcanos

More up. 5th song is beautiful. Don't know the name of it.

My battery kept dying so If anyone else has footage, I would love to see it.

MIDWESTSURFGUY I'm looking at you. Wink

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014 16:08:15

World Premiers!

I have been wanting to write some stuff about this show for the past few days, but could not find time away from work to get it done. So bump!

SurfKingSurfWear and I made the trip from my hometown of Charlotte, NC (He hailed from Atlanta!) and we carpooled 9.5 hrs up to Indianapolis to the Westin Inn on the White River. I've never been to Indianapolis at all before, and seeing it for the first time at close to midnight I was stunned at the vibrancy of the city. The streets were packed and it looked as alive as NY on a Friday night! We got some sleep that night (After some fine picks of Scotch by the SurfKing!) and got started fairly late in the day on Saturday.We met up at the Madeira's secret practice location, to which we had been invited and got to witness first hand the magic in the making. All I can say is definitely stay tuned to this band! The last 4 albums have been stunning, but somehow they continue crafting new and exciting ways to play instrumental music that redefines the instrumental rock/surf genre. Once the practice was over we met up with some folks including The Mystery Men?, Brian and Captain Springfield at an awesome eatery for barely enough time to get some local brews and a Bison Burger, and then it was off to the show! The Melody Inn is an unassuming building, right on the edge of what appeared to be an interesting part of town. The show started off with a blinding fast and intricate set from the Mystery Men?, until the MadScientist broke a string (presumably to make me feel better about my past performances of course) but he was back up and shredding after a generous guitar donation from someone in the crowd! After that the Volcanos (who I have loved ever since I first heard them in the late 90's) took the stage and took everything to a different level with their trad action packed sound! The musicianship was amazing and the show never faltered even for a slight moment. It was all a perfect introduction for the 10th anniversary of the band we have come to know and love, known only as The Madeira! From the moment they took the stage and started with Sun and Sand off of Sandstorm(and played through the first 6 songs from their first release from 2005) the stars seemed to align on this night. It was an electric set that just seemed to go from one peak to the next constantly raising the level of excitement. I've never seen Patrick jump as much or as high as he was this night and it was quite entertaining! The crash of the reverb tank was incessant and I think it could be said, there was "none more reverb". What was also amazing to me was that even though I've seen the Madeira play live several times, their songs from their previous albums sounded new and opened my ears to parts I had never heard before. After these songs they moved towards all new material, two of which were released with the live album, and 3 that will be on their next release. Ivan pointed out that the idea was to visit the beginning of the band and then look to the future. Of course they also threw in some crowd cover favorites including Dilmohammed from the Treble Spankers, the Victor from Dick Dale, and Intruder from the Surf Coasters(preparing us for the SG101 convention!) all from their 2006 Ep Ruins. All in all the night was amazing and magical. We parted ways around 3am and went back to the hotel to get some sleep before our drive home the next day. It was an inspiring evening and every band played their part in making it one, if not THE, best show I've seen in my life. Great friends, a wonderful community and amazing musicians. The surf community continues to grow, and now all we need is someone to write for Guitar Player Magazine. Someday......

Jeremy

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014 08:27:27

Thanks for the great show report Jeremy! I wasn't going to write any more but you have inspired me. I'll try to get something more detailed down tomorrow. It was so great to see you and Bob again!

Okay so here is my trip report, inspired by Jeremy.

I left my house around 9am Saturday morning. The 6.5 - 7 hour drive was uneventful. Fortunately I have a trial version of satellite radio so it kept me from being too bored.

I arrived at my hotel and no sooner had I flopped down on the bed I got a text from Captain Springfield (Warren) who had just landed at the airport. Warren caught a hotel shuttle and soon arrived. It was great seeing him again and we had a nice chat while we waited for word from the Madeira camp on a dinner location. We soon got the scoop and headed out.

Arriving at the Broad Ripple Brewpub, we saw The Mystery Men? loitering in the parking lot. It was so great to see Jamie, Richard, Chad, Jay, & _ (oops -- spacing out on the drummer's name Embarassed sorry!) again. Such a nice group of guys and we were all pumped up for the show and united by our long journeys to get to Indy that night. After getting seated we were joined by Jeremy and Bob Walk of Surf King Surf Wear fame (and SG101 convention sponsor!). A short time later, 3 of the Madeira crew arrived: Ivan, Dane, & Todd. We had a great time talking and enjoying some really good food and drink.

Off to the show! Arriving at the Melody Inn I was happy to see the Volcanos and Midwest Surf Guy. Indy stalwart Brandonio was there was well. I think Guy drove over with photographer extraordinaire Stacy Fenner and forum member EJ. I also recognized a JD from the Grinning Man, Don Schott & his wife (who were there in December). I had a great time chatting with everyone, especially Volcano Rick & Chris. I begged them to get the mythical 3rd Volcanos full length in motion, and they assured me it is in the plans. Yes I'd kick in for a kickstarter, just sayin'....

The Mystery Men? opened and once again I was astounded by the intricate 3 guitar interplay. They have such a great set of inventive and melodic songs, played expertly, it was a real treat. Chad switched from guitar, keyboard, and Squier Bass VI throughout the set. Jamie broke a string early on, but was saved by a random guy in the crowd who had a spare strat. Turns out this was no random guy, but it was an SG101'er!!! Yes, enigmaticMrC! Sorry I did not know that was you until I got home and saw you on FB. Anyway, I was truly blown away by the highly inventive sounds of the Mystery Men? These guys seemingly came out of nowhere with this unique and daring sound. I love this band!!!

Next one of my all time favorite surf bands: THE VOLCANOS!! I still can't believe what a strong bill this was. Rick told me they were going to play a lot of their newer, unrecorded songs that night and they did. Man I cannot wait to hear these recorded! Included in this set of songs is the crowd favorite "Passage to Budapest" in which Rick plays a Rogue Sitar. So cool! They also played 2 of my all time surf favorites "Whirlpool" and "Avalanche"! Hell yes! Chris double picked like mad on his beautiful blue Mosrite while trading leads with Rick and his trusty white Jazzmaster. As Jeremy said, the stage presence and musicianship were top notch as well as the pure fun factor. They even got some young ladies dancing, and Rick leaped off the stage to join them.

Maybe it was the alcohol but at one point during the Volcanos' set I felt so euphoric at hearing this amazing surf music played by experts I was just overcome by emotion, so happy to be alive and to be there witnessing it all. It made me forget about all the stupid problems at work and in the world. Thank you!

The Madeira finally took the stage. I've seen these guys I have no idea how many times by now...but it is always pure joy. They seemed to open the set with songs from their first album Sandstorm, then moved to some new songs, then closed with some crowd favorites. It was great hearing the Sandstorm material again. I had not heard El Caliph and Rogue Wave in many years, and I was blown away. The new songs are just incredible, I could not believe it. How they keep getting better and better is beyond me. Wow! The new song that was co-written by Jim Skaithitis (from the freaking ATLANTICS!!!) is so damn cool! By the time the band moved into the "favorites" such as Dilmohammed, The Victor, and closing with The Intruder, I was just bursting with joy. I remember turning around and seeing Bob Walk with the same look on his face that I had. We both shook our heads, said a few F*CK YEAHS and high-fived each other.

So yes, what a great night of amazing music, great camaraderie, and just pure joy!

The next morning I was lucky enough to have brunch with Dane, Todd, and They Mystery Men. I had a great time talking about music and listening to the future plans of each band, as well as just getting to know these great group of people even better.

After that we all sadly parted ways. I ended up staying another day in Indy to visit some of my gaming buddies. What a fantastic weekend. Thanks to everyone involved. I'm still smiling a week later!!

High speed weekend for sure!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Very anticlimactic to get the pics out this late but the week just did not go my way.

Here is a pic I got combined with the cover art by Stephen Blickenstaff.

A pretty good rendition of how I felt about both shows.

Anyone who isn't making it to these live shows of the Madeira are missing out on some of the greatest surf music going on right now.

Stacy

Let me put up the evil FaceBook links first and then I will put some up on the SG101 forum.

Madeira Pics on FB

Volcanos Pics on FB

Mystery Men? Pics on FB

Stacy

Amazing photos as always Stacy! Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk that night!

Great shots of Rick "dancing" with the 2 girls.

Thanks Brian, I felt bummed I didn't get a chance to say hey! Hopefully there will be another time...

Stacy

Ditto, those are some Frenetic photos chief! You were really movin' around that night. I need to invest in a camera instead of using my cell phone. Wait, then I cant buy more copper wire, filister screws and alder for my "experiments".
But I digress.

Still have some Volcanos stuff to upload. Will put them up soon.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014 05:13:26

Below are links to my Photobucket account for those who aren't on FB.

The Mystery Men? Slideshow

The Volcanos Slideshow

The Madeira Slideshow

Stacy

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014 10:05:00

As always, Fantastic photos Stacy!
We're all so lucky to have you shoot these events.

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next