Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Eddie Katcher's Astro-Nots Tribute

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Instro Summit 2013

Surfer's Stomp
Surf Party
Batman
Baja
Firewater

Surf Guitar 101 and the HB Pier in 2013

Misirlou
Surf Softly
Surf Softly
The Pier

Thanks, Tuck! These are terrific.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Fantastic!!! Worship Worship Worship

Those videos made my day!
Thanks Tuck

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

What a great way to start the day!
Big Grin

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Go Eddie, Go!!

CUTBACK

Those were super fun sets to play!! So glad to be a part of it!

Thanks for such kind words guys. In NO way did I pull that off by myself. Working up those tracks in the basement with Richard, Jamie, Link, and Chris (by remote control) and then finally getting one last shot at it in our hotel with us all in one room at the same time was very special. Having the opportunity to take it to the stage at Instro Summit and later in California was icing on the cake. We all deeply appreciate both Crispy and Big Tiki Dude's support on both sides of the US and their letting us make it a reality to share it with so many great friends.

Also sharing the stage with Ivan, Trace, Bobby C and Sticks made those two amazing weekends even more amazing.

I really think that two of the biggest influences on my playing and what I play have to be the the Astronauts (both surf and otherwise), and the Penetrators.

Hey fellow A-Nots, Let's do it again!

I love the sight of a white Jazzmaster first thing in the morning.

Greatful Ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

And the Gibson pix is where?

http://www.reverbnation.com/thegreasemonkeyz

Words cannot express my gratitude to Eddie and the boys for putting this together and to Crispy and Jeff (twice) for hosting it. FWIW, I think all of the video for SG101 and the Pier that Sunday are due to Cherie Garcia-Lewis. Since some were posted by Chris, I'm not sure who took them, though I deduce that it wasn't him. My own attempts are still gathering dust!

Anyone wants to do a whole set of Astronauts or Penetrators stuff on Gibsons/Marshalls or Fenders or Rickenbackers/Vox, whatever, I'm there. Or anyway I sure hope so.

Ride the Wild Surf (at the Pier)

I am sorry to say this… but this is the forum for surf music. So we can discuss it here.

Am I the only one who think this is not played very authentic? I miss the energy of the Astronauts. The songs have to be played with more drive!

I watched the videos and thought about the tempo of some songs. Especially Surf Party and The Pier.
Then I discovered that I mostly miss the Astronauts drum beat! This special surf beat that sounds other than other surf beats! It is NOT a typical surf drum beat!!! And I know that not every drummer is able to play this in the right way. The drummer in the Astro Nots band is not playing the typical needed rhythm for the songs. Why???
The guitar sounds are great for sure!
And: Also a Stratocaster should not be played in a band who plays Astronauts songs. My opinion.

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014 11:24:08

HallmarkSweptWinger wrote:

And: Also a Stratocaster should not be played in a band who plays Astronauts songs. My opinion.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

HallmarkSweptWinger wrote:

Big Grin

Ah Haha! Ok, I can see they used also a Stratocaster…
Anyway I do not think about Strat when I talk about the Astronauts.
…I guess this was his backup…

The main thing is the drum beat! : )

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014 12:08:50

There are drummers who are willing to do the Gallagher beat. At least Jesse Carraway has been willing to demo it to me. I stood there and watched fascinated once, my camera idle in my hand, as he did a segment of Banzai Pipeline in a standard rock way, a surf beat way, and the Gallagher way. Then he started to pack up and as he did I came to my senses and told him, "Say, next time I should video that!" But we never have. He participated in the Astronauts basement sessions here in Denver. Actually, it was his basement, and he organized the sessions.

I hope people will keep up with these projects. I think they are important. If you were doing this in Denver with a high enough profile I suspect it would be possible to get Jim Gallagher to come around and offer some pointers.

And, in fact, I kind of think this needs to be done in Denver - as often as possible - to wipe out the (musical) embarrassment of that Colorado Music Hall of Fame induction. The induction itself, of course, was well merited and everything else was handled very nicely. From a purely local perspective what they did made a certain sense. The band and their surviving fans were into the very garage performances in Boulder and around the metro area, not surf music. However, the band does have a very significant place in the history of surf music, of instrumental rock & roll, and as surf music the CMHF induction was pretty sad.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014 14:23:14

Tuck wrote:

There are drummers who are willing to do the Gallagher beat. At least Jesse Carraway has been willing to demo it to me.

Well, I have explained the beat previously in sg101 in a couple of threads. One time quite deeply. I even did a special on NSSR about the Astronauts beat. I try to record it tomorrow and post a video here.

Next sg101 convention I can demo it no prob... many Kilaueas songs follow that beat live. I also think that beat is the real key of the Astronauts sound in the rhythm section. There i not much to say, it is an easy beat, repeated in most Astronauts songs.

In the posted videos I appreciate the chord sequence of Surf Party in the middle part, often badly done, but that here really catches the soul of the song. Great job!

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

In this video you can see a few songs done in a short tour in September 2011 with the Kilaueas "extended", which is including me on drums and Alex Faide on 3rd guitar. We did 5 shows if I remember well.
The plan was to continue the project and record an album of Astronauts covers. But we did not proceed.

Unfortunately the 3 songs do not include a correct Astronauts tempo, except for a little in The Pier but no completely. There is a classic surf beat and the Quasimoto tempo. Sorry for the quality of the video but this was horribly taken at the club...

So I will try to record a sample tomorrow as I will have the drums set up.

Lorenzo

(www.surfmusic.net)

I'm willing to state the B section of Hot Doggin' is the coolest hunk of surf music ever put to vinyl. I never tire of playing it. The A section is pretty awesome too.

Looking at the old footage of Jim G. playing drums, it's no wonder almost no one can do it. It looks like he made up his own technique, unless he was just hamming it up for the camera.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder wrote:

I'm willing to state the B section of Hot Doggin' is the coolest hunk of surf music ever put to vinyl. I never tire of playing it. The A section is pretty awesome too.

Looking at the old footage of Jim G. playing drums, it's no wonder almost no one can do it. It looks like he made up his own technique, unless he was just hamming it up for the camera.

totally agree. difficult to say what is better between hot doggin, surf party, firewater, pier and most surf astronauts tunes! amazing!

for the drum you are right, it is not easy and has lots of variations, very jazzy. the important is to identify the main beat and give the right accents. in songs like surf party those accents make the song.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Goto Page: 1 2 Next