Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Favorite non-Surf Instrumental Song

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Europa by Santana. Such a beautiful and soulful piece.

Either you surf, or you fight.

vintagesurfdude wrote:

Well I isolated the forward half and slowed it down, BSOOM (Beats The S@#$ Out Of Me) I'll see if I can link it. Maybe it'll make sense to one of you guys.

Your text to link here...

Once I got "Captain", I had something to google. It led me to one guy who thinks it's "Captain, do that again, won't you."

It helps if you channel your inner Buckwheat:
Caaapiten! doo det again won't you!

Since he then goes on to basically play the tune again, it's a good guess.

josheboy wrote:

Altar wrote:

I love "Your hand in mine" by Explosions in the Sky.
http://youtu.be/JzIK5FaC38w

That's an excellent tune. I LOVE that song. The bass player switches to 3rd guitar and they just layer on beautiful guitar sounds.

I don't like all of their songs. Some of them bore the crap out of me. Some of them are too happy sounding (I like my music dark and broody). But overall, I really do like that band. I actually liked them a lot more after I saw them live. They put on a good show!

I'd love to see them live sometime. The only thing I don't like about this band is that the drummer really overdoes it sometimes. Even in this song, the snare comes too early and he could have done better to add some ride rather than all that snare and crashes. Still, if that's what they envisioned for the song, that's theirs.

It actually reminds me a whole lot of The 'Verb. The drone picking, layers of guitar, style, etc. And of course I really enjoy both bands.

They would have made a great surf band.

IMO.

I'd like to hear some surf music from this cat

Axel F!

Monsters Of Surf
Daikaiju

websurfer wrote:

vintagesurfdude wrote:

Well I isolated the forward half and slowed it down, BSOOM (Beats The S@#$ Out Of Me) I'll see if I can link it. Maybe it'll make sense to one of you guys.

Once I got "Captain", I had something to google. It led me to one guy who thinks it's "Captain, do that again, won't you."

Excellent work, sir!

To me the sound file you posted sounded like:
cap a ten, this is a game, match you

Concerning "This is a game", it does seem to be a game.
"Cap a ten" and "match you" may mean that he claims a score of ten and he is challenging you to match it. So goes imagination.

Cap a ten may be captain. Match you may be Matthew. So he may be telling Captain Matthew that this is a game.

Your interpretation makes more sense than what I heard.

It is fun to talk about this, and I appreciate your work. Thanks again.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Mar 08, 2013 16:58:55

JakeDobner wrote:

Squid wrote:

I chose the name to identify the piece of music, and that it did. Here the Baronics play Mozart's Turkish Rondo note for note (but adding drums) and this illustrates how it is a surf song. They do play it slowly (about 170 bpm rather than 230 bpm), but it is still fast enough to be challenging on the guitar.

230bpm? Dude... Never.
1.) 230 is insanely fast
2.) The Third Movement of Piano Sonata No.11 is Allegretto. ALLEGRETTO. Allegretto is 100-110ish bpm.

As I see it, it is de facto 256 bpm. I found the piece in a piano music book. The book displays 128 bpm but each measure is 2 beats and virtually all notes are 8th notes and 16th notes. 180 bpm at 4 beats per measure is about as fast as I can play melodies; I find this a useful standard of reference. At the prescribed speed this is much faster than that. For these various reasons I consider it effectively 256 bpm.

Last edited: Mar 08, 2013 17:21:46

Squid wrote:

As I see it, it is de facto 256 bpm.

Are you prepared to present your findings at the next meeting of the American Musicological Society, because you're re-writing music history "as you see it."

I found the piece in a piano music book. The book displays 128 bpm but each measure is 2 beats and virtually all notes are 8th notes and 16th notes.

So, your analysis and awareness of Mozart's intentions carry more weight than someone that published the piece in a commercially available book who carefully chose to print a 128bpm indication?

180 bpm at 4 beats per measure is about as fast as I can play melodies; I find this a useful standard of reference. At the prescribed speed this is much faster than that. For these various reasons I consider it effectively 256 bpm.

Again, as Jake mentioned, the movement is marked "Allegretto." This is UNIVERSALLY accepted WORLDWIDE by EVERYONE that has studied Classical Music for 5 seconds as being "moderately fast, but less than Allegro." Even Allegro at its fastest is around 139bpm. If you want to go to the extreme, Prestissimo is seven general Italian tempo marking designations faster than Allegretto, and it's still around just over 200bpm. And, if you really want to get crazy with it, performance practice scholars the world over have generally agreed that compositions in the Classical period would have been even slower than modern metronome indicators. So, WTF??? are you talking about????

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

JONPAUL wrote:

And, if you really want to get crazy with it, performance practice scholars the world over have generally agreed that compositions in the Classical period would have been even slower than modern metronome indicators. So, WTF??? are you talking about????

Which is why Glenn Gould's performance of Mozart's Piano Sonata No.11 is so amazing. Slower than most takes you hear, but how he plays it...

JOHNPAUL wrote: So, WTF??? are you talking about????

The subjectivity of music, and how it allows a variety of differing opinions to coexist.

Last edited: Mar 08, 2013 21:57:23

Squid wrote:

JOHNPAUL wrote: So, WTF??? are you talking about????

The subjectivity of music, and how it allows a variety of differing opinions to coexist.

Oh, gosh. This again.

Music is not purely relative. There is good music, but music,and disputable music (But mostly bad Big Grin ). And "music is relative" does not explain or excuse making up tempos for established pieces of music.

Does "Music is relative" mean that Nikki Minaj can be more musical than Slacktone or Rush, or perhaps Lil' Wayne is better than Dick Dale in your little relative universe?

My 2 pennies. Beat me down, children. Wink

IMO.

Squid wrote:

websurfer wrote:

vintagesurfdude wrote:

Excellent work, sir!

"Cap a ten" and "match you" may mean that he claims a score of ten and he is challenging you to match it. So goes imagination.

Cap a ten may be captain. Match you may be Matthew. So he may be telling Captain Matthew that this is a game.

Websurfer, that sounds pretty reasonable. 'course it could be the power of suggestion ! Big Grin Anyway gang, I'm glad I could drag this out until everyone was tired of it ! Laughing

Squid, thanks for the thanks. Cool

Last edited: Mar 08, 2013 22:51:38

Favorite non-surf instro song?? How the hell could you EVER pick just ONE???
Well, then I thought about it a bit ,and my pick would be the guitar-picking tour-de-force by Hot Tuna entitled 'Water Song'. Guitarist Jorma Kaukonen and bassist Jack Casady were also core members of the Jefferson Airplane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6giiYDlqRQs
Beautiful intricate guitar patterns, solid drums, but what kicks it into overdrive is Casady's bass playing, which runs the gamut from ragtime/squaredance patterns to long sustained fuzz notes. It's essentially melodic lead bass !
Uhhh, and number two would be Hendrix's double (and occasionally triple) tracked masterpiewce 'Pali Gap'. (DAMN i knew i couldn't really just pick one!)

For guitar based non-surf instrumental music my favorite is still Mogwai. For more electronic type stuff I'm a big Trentemøller fan.

vintagesurfdude wrote:

Squid wrote:

websurfer wrote:

vintagesurfdude wrote:

Excellent work, sir!

Websurfer, that sounds pretty reasonable. 'course it could be the power of suggestion ! Big Grin Anyway gang, I'm glad I could drag this out until everyone was tired of it ! Laughing

Squid, thanks for the thanks. Cool

Well, I got a clarification on the backwards masking in "Scratchy" I contacted Muscleshoals Music (Travis' label) and asked. Here's the correspondence:
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Mr. Wammack,
I'm an old guy who plays a little guitar. I was stunned by "Scratchy" during the early surf days. I've been going back to those roots and re-discovered this tune. Now, however, we've (the folks on the Surf Guitar 101 website and I) have been discussing the vocal in this track. My contention is that it's a two part deal with the first half of it forward tracked and the second part backwards tracked 'cause when I reversed it, it sounds the same. The question is: What the hell are you saying? :o) The current consensus is "Capitan, do that again, won't you." Any chance you can clear this up?

This is a killer song and you now have a following in the "surf guitar" ranks. Thanks again for any insight you could shed on this. God Bless ya.

Chris Russo
Prescott Valley, AZ
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
hi Chris,
i just forwarded your email to Travis. the words on scratchy are 'capital do do it again won't you' which was an old british saying.....then with the tape running backwards....scratchy is actually credited with using the first 'backward tape' recording......
thanks,
Donnie Gullett
Muscle Shoals Music Marketing
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

So there ya have it.

CR

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013 01:49:18

Really like Santana's Europa, Song of the Wind, and Samba Pa Ti. Hard to choose, especially between the last two, but the nod would probably go to Samba Pa Ti; A stunningly beautiful melody.

Here's a great interview with Travis: http://www.memphistechhigh.com/miscellaneous/traviswammack/traviswammack.html

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013 16:49:44

vintagesurfdude:

A++++ Wowser Brilliant!! You went all the way to Travis to get the information. Capital indeed!

It's so hard to choose just one! Benny Goodman's instrumental cover of Sing Sing Sing has been on my mind lately... so catchy!

It's been a few years, but I just listened to this again last night. Definitely my favorite modern non-surf instro. Heavy and "droney" in the best way......

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next