Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fenders new squier modified vintage surf strat.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

I was browsing in a news stand the other day and noticed that a recent edition of Total Guitar magazine has a comparison between the Squier vm surf strat and a Danelectro wild thing for the purpose of playing surf. I only had time to skim the article but it looked like they thought both were very good versatile guitars and both great for playing surf. Though the Squier is better for surf the Danelectro scored slightly better as an all round guitar.
Also Musicians friend has the Squier vm surf strat plus a bunch of other Squier/Fender products on sale at the moment.

It's a great looking guitar. I tried out a Squier Classic Vibe in a local music shop last week, i would think it has the same neck and body as Vintage Modified. I've been playing an 80s Squier JV for a number of years and i wanted to know if the Vibe lived up to the hype. It was beautifully weighted and wants to become part of your body as does my old JV but the neck wasn't up to my lofty standards - flat radius fretboard and the back of the neck doesn't slim down enough at the headstock end. I 'm sure i could get use to it though. The pickups were a bit drab which is to be expected. Over here, the VM is cheaper at £265, sports the classic 6 screw tremolo unit and lipstick pickups which can't be any worse than the Vibe's. I once owned Talman with lipstick P/Us which was great fun for a little while..

SO I picked up the sonic blue squier surf strat yesterday in Guitar Center and played it through a Deluxe Reverb with the reverb set to 6. I think this thing sounds awesome! I can understand not wanting that super tinny sound, however I think it can provide a lot of twang you wouldn't otherwise have access to. So now I'm trying to acquire this:

I'm geeking out on a reverse headstock gold sparkled strat with lipstick pickups. OMG I'm a nerd. Big Grin

Jeremy

Last edited: Jun 06, 2012 08:13:10

I just got one second-hand in the green - it sounds pretty darn good and those lipstick pickups have enough bite to do the job. I could buy better (more expensive) but frankly I don't give a sailing sh!t about all that and neither do most people in the audience at our gigs and it's not always a guarantee something is going to be better.

I also bought a Wilkinson trem at the same time after reading other's thoughts here on the original trem and its limitations for the price. Too true!

It appears to have 10-46 strings and not having any experience with Squiers I was wondering if they can handle heavier strings, also whether the pickguard shape and holes are compatible with Fender strats?

https://www.facebook.com/lostremoleros/

Last edited: Jul 01, 2012 01:13:01

got to watch those pickguard holes----they don't usually match up with fender pickguards. you may have to drill a few new holes to use the fender PG.
wilkinson trem?? how did that match up??
i've got one strat in surf green and one in sonic blue..put schallers on the blue and wd's on the green. finally removed the trems on both guitars, still had minor problems with 'em.
using 10-46 on mine, more beef that way, i've got 9-42 on my tele. don't know if the little guitars will hold up to heavier strings or not.
but, for the price, they aren't bad at all!! Guitar

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

Thanks for your advice - I decided not to use the Wilkinson due to having to re-drill etc to make it fit - I wasn't too keen to do that (I was gonna pay someone to do). I'm going to just hang on to the Wilkinson as it may come in handy for something else down the track.

https://www.facebook.com/lostremoleros/

surf green surf strat is gone. sorry, i traded for a PRS SE in amber. not surf i know, but i still have the sonic blue one!! it was definitely the better of the two. manufacturing incosistentsy's i guess. still good guitars for the price! Face Palm Picard Face Palm Sorry

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

Does anyone know what other pickguards fit on these? I want one but I want to put 57/62's in it and the pickup slots seem like they're too narrow?

You can put humbuckers in it, but why?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4