Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jaguar Tremelo bar position

Page 1 of 1

Hello-

I have a MIJ '65 Jaguar reissue (I think its actually a 2001).

The tremelo bar can be inserted into its socket deeply enough that dips become impossible, its somehow wedging itself in there. The "sweet spot" seems to be about 1/4" shy of being inserted all the way. There are no detents or bulges in the bar or anything else to keep it at this spot.

Is this common?

Is this issue a problem with my bridge/tremelo system, or with the arm?

Do I have the wrong arm somehow?

Other solutions (wrap the arm with tape or something to fatten it?)?

thanks for any insight-

So that the arm can't dip because the tip of the arm will press against the body, or because the shaft of the arm makes contact with the body?

Fixes, bend the arm or relieve tension on the spring via the screw in the middle of the plate. Or cut off length from the bottom if it touches the bottom of the rout.

It seems as though the bottom of the shaft "bottoms out" on something. I am not sure how to explain it other than the arm works as expected when its not quite fully insterted, but if it is, then something catches deep in the body of the guitar.

Since this is the only Jaguar I have used, I can't compare it to one which is properly configured.

Thanks

Maybe you need to set up the tremolo system. Check webrocker.de

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

spy
Maybe you need to set up the tremolo system. Check webrocker.de

Yes, try this. It sounds like your trem-spring tension isn't set right.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Make sure the Trem-lock isn't on!

Thanks everyone. I've tried that webrocker setup before and couldn't make it happen, no matter how tight or loose I get the adjustment screw its still very difficult to slide the lock in and out and it doesn't seem to have an affect either way. I'll mess with it again soon and report back.

don't be afraid to put a very small drop of machine oil on the sliding trem bar to help it function well.
Very small drop.

Joelman
don't be afraid to put a very small drop of machine oil on the sliding trem bar to help it function well.
Very small drop.

i do this: 3-in-1 oil...very lightweight machine oil.

I've got MIJ jaguar that I've had for years. After getting tired of the loose trem arm I peeled off trem system recently and tightened the collet teeth by lightly crimping it. Fixed that problem but now I've got a new one. The trem unit barely moves. I've tried set up with trem loc shown on webrocker. No luck. I've loosen spring all the way. I noticed that when I take unit out the side opposite of the arm unit barely moves. I've put 12 and 10 strings, round and flat. Same problem. I've read many posts on trem set ups but maybe I missed something? Any ideas? Help!

Robert

The GnarlyMen

If the collet is broken or too loose the trem arm will insert so far into the cavity of the guitar that it will bottom. This is currently happening on my CIJ Jazzmaster but not my CIJ Jaguar. (Who would ever have thought last year I'd have just written that?)

I followed Brian's post of a summary of how to adjust the trem spring/lock and it works great.

"... Engage the trem-loc. Tune your guitar to pitch. Disengage the trem-loc. Now tighten or loosen the screw until your guitar is roughly in tune again. That will give you a good neutral spring position."

But if the collet won't grab the arm, it still falls through. I'm buying a Staytrem for the JM instead of just another collet. Your text to link here...

I should also mention that you have to start by turning the spring screw until it does engage the tremolo plate. Then begin as Brian writes. Hope this helps.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012 20:13:34

Thanks for info Noel. I tried trem loc tune up the other day but it did not fixed problem I might try again. Arm does not seem to be bottoming out. Setting the trem loc was like setting a bear trap. The only way I could engage trem loc was to take spring off, move trem loc in place, and then put spring back on. I've heard MIJ trem loc is poorly designed compared to other versions.

Robert

The GnarlyMen

Did you push the tremolo arm down as far as possible before sliding the lock back, and only then start turning the screw enough to block pulling up the arm?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Robert, I'm not sure I understand your problem. Is the collet too tight now, or is it the spring that is preventing you from turning the arm? If it is the spring, is it possible you didn't get it put back together right? It definitely should not be like a "bear trap".

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I have a new problem: squeaky spring. It sounds like a unoiled horror movie door hinge when compressed. Took it apart, oiled it, re-aligned it, and a few days later, again Mad . It sounds through the amp Shock
Anyone had this?
I'm trying to work it into the songs... but it does sound annoyingly horrible.

Are you sure it is the spring? I've had something squeaky before in my previous Japanese jags. I don't think it was the spring, I think it was something to do with the arm rubbing against something.

I'm pretty sure, the arm sits tight in the collet, the only moving part is the spring. Rotating the arm doesn't produce any noise, just compressing it, even slowly. What else can it be? After I oiled the spring, it stopped for a while, but came back.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012 02:58:48

Hmmmm... Might just be. Never heard a spring squeak before.

Update on my trem problem. I ended up taking my jag into the pros at SF Guitar works since I was planning to have them put in some new pickups.
They resolved it. It was mostly due to set up. They also did a slight bend on my trem arm. Thanks for suggestions everyone.

Robert

The GnarlyMen

Page 1 of 1