Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Favorite surf guitar

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 228 29 30 31 3265 66 Next

I contacted GuitarFetish and John informed me that the XV-JT90 has been discontinued Sad

I figure it will be fun to build a Partsmaster Very Happy

Thanks for the tip on Tomahawk, I'll check that out

Forgot to mention that Warmoth also sell dedicated Jazzcaster bodies, but you may already know that.

And, to a new member from a slightly less new one, welcome to SG101 Smile

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Yeah, I've already mocked up an awesome one on Warmoth. They are just pricey!

Thanks for the welcome!

Check out oneeyedjack guitars. Nice guy, does great work, made me a Telemaster/Jagcaster/Jazzcaster whatever you want to call it body a few months back. Nice stuff!

Danelectros are nice, they have a unique twangy, slightly dark tone. Can't argue with Fender though.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012 19:48:14

Thumbs Up my new squier VM surf strat is now my favorite surf guitar. lipstick pups give it a slighty different sound and ir plays and holds like a strat. also learning to get the wang bar set up correctly so i can use it. Twisted Evil

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

Looks like I just had a wipeout with posting my pic. LOL

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012 15:11:42

surferXmatt wrote:

Check out oneeyedjack guitars. Nice guy, does great work, made me a Telemaster/Jagcaster/Jazzcaster whatever you want to call it body a few months back. Nice stuff!

Here: http://www.facebook.com/OneEyedJackGuitars
And here: http://www.oejcustomguitars.com/

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Thunderbolt wrote:

Looks like I just had a wipeout with posting my pic. LOL

In case you're wondering how I did that, I received an email from SG101 of the original post with the URL of the pic, which I just copied into my reply.

And, BTW, that's a nice setup, but it's on the previous page.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012 16:14:47

Thanks Noel!

as of this week i no longer have a favorite......i'm so confused Shock i just like them all for different reasons

www.surfintheeye.com

Well put, mom...... The only guitar I have that doesn't work well for surf, for me is an Epi G-400 (SG). It's too "nasally". But it does high gain stuff really well. so there ya go. And no matter where you go, there you are. Cool

as i just mentioned in nother post, i've had the good fortune of attaining a lot of great vintage instruments, the only surfy one would be my black 83 squier strat (bought new!!).. 60 melody maker, 62 ES 330, a 65 Rick 360/12m a couple gretschs. But playing in bands around chicago, i didn't want to take these valuables around to dive bars. A squier ffinity wasn't working out, so bought a new "as-is" Epi G-400 off ebay for $93.

it's the BEST guitar i own. Why? it fits my hand. the sounds i cn get out of it, great. stays in tune.. everything. Next up? hopefully those Squier Jaguars.. then i cn do proper surf assessment!!

Any of these will do nicely.

The Exotics 1994-Current
The Chickenshack - www.wmse.org
www.thedoghouseflowers.com
www.uptownsavages.com

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012 09:07:05

tubesNtweed wrote:

I know Fenders and Mosrites are the first guitars most people associate with surf music, but my Danelectro '59 shorthorn sounds pretty good for surf. A reissue, but with both pickups combined it's got such a retro sound and slightly twangy, similar to a Tele. The cheap, semi-hollow particle board body sets it apart from other guitars, IMO. Kinda "dull" sounding compared to a Fender, which gives it a more unique tone than a normal "bright" single coil pickup. Plug that baby into a Twin Reverb and there's something to brag about lol, at least for me.

How does the wooden bridge effect sustain and the amount of "twang" in its tone?

LeeVanCleef wrote:

Jag for me. I grew up listening to Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, the Flaming Lips and more recently Mono, so I guess I'll never be able to think of the Jazzmaster as anything else than an indie rock guitar.

I stand corrected. As much as I love my Jag (and that's a lot), it's been spending a lot of time in its case since I got my Jazzy. This guitar is an instant surf machine.image

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

It's a tie!

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadranchhands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEW74mHjQk

surfaholic wrote:

tubesNtweed wrote:

I know Fenders and Mosrites are the first guitars most people associate with surf music, but my Danelectro '59 shorthorn sounds pretty good for surf. A reissue, but with both pickups combined it's got such a retro sound and slightly twangy, similar to a Tele. The cheap, semi-hollow particle board body sets it apart from other guitars, IMO. Kinda "dull" sounding compared to a Fender, which gives it a more unique tone than a normal "bright" single coil pickup. Plug that baby into a Twin Reverb and there's something to brag about lol, at least for me.

How does the wooden bridge effect sustain and the amount of "twang" in its tone?

I would say it's more of the lipstick pickups giving it the twang, kinda like a tele. It's a thinner sound than a normal single coil. The wooden bridge actually works ok, but the Dano's with the cheap vibrato arm aren't reliable.

JakeDobner wrote:

I don't believe you can call it country. Distorted guitars simply rapes all the credibility of the music being country. Lyrics in country also used to be good. Not anymore.

I agree with Ace's opinion of Reese as June. Quite endearing.

I know this is an old post but it deserves a hearty Plus One!

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Goto Page: Previous 1 228 29 30 31 3265 66 Next