Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Speaker recommendations for a bass vi?

Page 1 of 1

So, I think I'm going to have to try out the new Schecter Hellcat vi. I have an old Peavey Delta Blues 2x10 that I want to play it through. The plan is to replace the two 10s with a single 12, but I am unsure what sort of speaker would be best. I have an actual bass amp for making actual bass noises, so I want to use the Peavey to explore the more "guitary" side of the vi. For that reason, I don't necessarily want a true bass speaker, but I also don't want to drop $100+ on a guitar speaker and blow it out in a week playing bass through it. If any bass vi players out there have experience/advice it would be much appreciated. For what it's worth, Peavey is 30 watt, 16 ohm (configurable to 8 in a pinch).

Sorry, I don't have a clue about speaker recommendation.
BUT, where are you buying the Schecter Hellcat VI?
Everywhere I see it's out of stock, I'd like to get one too.
Thx.

Probably the most versatile 12" speaker for a guitar AND bass application is the Electro-Voice EVM-12L. They were used in some high-end guitar and bass amps a few years back. They are still in production but you can pick up good used ones on ebay.

Most people think that the "L" in VM-12L stands for Lead. Not so. L = Long Excursion.

E-V also made "S" (short excursion) and "M" (medium) versions as well. The L's are the most popular and they sound equally good for guitar or bass. There was also a "B" version that was specifically for bass. However, Mesa installed the "L" version in their awesome Diesel series bass cabinets back in the '90's. Paul McCartney still uses these on stage.

Their only downside of the E-V's is that they are VERY heavy and their large,thick aluminum frame can make mounting difficult in some amps.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012 09:10:56

Dread: I didn't realize that they were getting snatched up. There's a guy at a store north of here that said he could order me one if I decided I wanted it. It never occurred to me that they would be scarce. I reckon I don't know where I'll get one. That could be a bummer. Fingers crossed... Although If I got an Ultra vi instead and just swapped out the pickups for something a little more single-coily, that would probably work just as well. Also, Eastwood makes one now (sidejack vi), so I figure there's options if I get antsy.

Woody: Thank you for the advice. I haven't seen those, they do seem just about right. The price is a bit higher than I had in mind (costs about as much as I paid for the whole amp), but they do seem like just the ticket. It might just turn out to be a good unforseen combo/secret weapon. I'll have to give it some thought. Thanks again.

Mikey, are you getting the newer model Hellcat VI with the Seymour Duncan vintage Jag pickups? Pics and a review upon its arrive is a MUST!

I don't know what to recommend for your Peavey, but I've played my baritone through my Vibrosonic Reverb with JBL D130F and it sounds pretty authoritative. I realize that doesn't help. Shocked

Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll - I eat reverb for breakfast!

Fenderus Collecticus
Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012 22:21:19

Mikey,

There are some great deals on clean used EVM's out there if you are patient. Check Craigslist and ebay. I found this like new matched pair on ebay a few months back for $200. They are now in my '65 Bandmaster cab and they sound killer with guitar or bass and they are pretty much bulletproof.

Overkill? Probably, but you won't have to worry about blowing this speaker with a guitar or a bass and there aren't many, if any other speakers that sound equally good with either instrument.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

mikey4001 wrote:

Dread: I didn't realize that they were getting snatched up. There's a guy at a store north of here that said he could order me one if I decided I wanted it. It never occurred to me that they would be scarce. I reckon I don't know where I'll get one. That could be a bummer. Fingers crossed...

Well, if you have a guy, give him a call and verify it, because everywhere I checked they're out of stock. A new batch should be coming though, in a couple of weeks I think.

Although If I got an Ultra vi instead and just swapped out the pickups for something a little more single-coily, that would probably work just as well.

Well, if you can handle that shape, sure. (sorry, nothing wrong with that really, just my personal aesthetic.) If you're going to swap the PU's anyway, the OLDER version of the Hellcat VI is still available, for even less $.

Also, Eastwood makes one now (sidejack vi), so I figure there's options if I get antsy.

We talked about those Eastwoods here. They look cool at least. Anyway, I think they're out of stock too. 2 months ago Eastwood replied to my inquiry saying they have only 3 Metallic Blue left.

Good luck, please report back with your findings.

I recently sold my Bass VI for any number of reasons, mostly I needed the scratch. One of the biggest challenges for me was finding the right way to amplify it. I used a Genz Benz bass amp with switchable tone contours and set it up to favor the upper range. For a speaker I used a 12" Avatar bass cab but, to be honest, I was pretty disappointed with the output. The only time I ever had a complaint about my sound at a gig was with this setup, it was just too muffled.

The long excursion EVs with a powerful amp might be the best way to go.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012 12:30:38

Page 1 of 1