Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Sierra Surf Music Camp: Memorial Day Weekend 2012

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

to everybody going, have a great time,
sounds like a lot of fun.
wish I could afford to go.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Here's an overview of the two classes I'll be teaching:

SONGWRITING 101
This seminar is an overview for beginning songwriters specifically in the instrumental surf genre. I’ll cover the basics, talking about what it takes to write a song, where inspiration comes from, and breaking out of ruts. I’ll discuss hints and hazards, creating unique melodies, and figuring out where to start and how to finish. Bring a song you're working on and we'll listen and discuss it.

FROM REHEARSAL TO RELEASE
Taking your music from the garage to a record release party.
These days everyone has access to professional recording equipment, so why do so many releases sound and look so amateur? Is it possible for a garage band to make a release that competes with major label quality?
Absolutely! This seminar will discuss every aspect of making an album from rehearsal, recording, manufacture to release.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Last edited: May 16, 2012 22:55:45

This just sounds better and better with each update. Pretty awesome thing y'all are putting together. Here's to many more Cheers

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Surf Camp starts tomorrow! Get ready!!!

bring yer bug spray

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Have fun guys. I hope it is a huge success!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Well, let me be the first to say here on SG101 that the first Sierra Surf Music Camp session was a tremendous success! The maiden voyage was filled with happy campers and pleased teachers. I don't know where to start! There were a few SG101ers present, so hopefully they will post with their memories.
Obviously a biggest thrill was the final concert with the 5 bands of students, many of them performing in a group and/or in front of a live audience for the first time. The bands each had a veteran coach, but it was up to them to pick material, and ultimately perform it. Three groups were all adults, one group was made up of high school age kids, and one group was a mix.
The days started with stretching exercises with Rikki Styxx, and then huge breakfasts. From 10-12, students signed up for private 1/2 hour lessons with the teachers- guitar, bass or drums. At noon on Saturday and Sunday I gave a couple seminars which went over well. Then lunch and free time, but most students seemed like they would rather be playing and many took advantage to work on their group performances. From 3-5 was band time with their coach. After dinner there was a concert- Friday with The Pyronauts, Saturday with John Blair and Sunday (in addition to the band showcases) Paul Johnson. Then a campfire with somoras and more surf talk. Pretty much 24 hours solid (I imagine most people dreamt about surf music, too!) music for 3 days.
Hats off to Paul and Dusty for putting together a very successful weekend! I'm sure it's going to happen again next year, so start thinking about making the trip now!

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

pictures?, movies?

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

I almost can't believe that I got to do that. But the memories of this past weekend put such a huge smile on my face that I have to believe it. My daughters and I had such a great time. Huge thanks to Paul and his family for putting this together. As well as the instructors/performers for their enthusiasm and dedication. Good food, good friends and good fun, this weekend was full of lasting memories. We are so there next year! Big Grin

John Bishop
http://www.reverbnation.com/surfbound

Join the Sierra Surf Music Camp facebook page here: lots of photos and videos being shared: http://www.facebook.com/groups/311997725505532/

Does PJ ever NOT smile?????? Every picture I see of him (where he isn't talking), there he is Big Grin .

Guess I'll add this to my list of things I wanna do for next year.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Man, where to start? That was just a fantastic weekend of friendship and surf music.

I think the Donner Mine Camp setting was a big factor in the weekend's success; no TV, traffic, non-surf mean-ass people, etc. Just a beautiful, quiet (when we weren't playing) setting for conversation, collaboration, and fun with a bunch of other surf nuts.

Another big factor was the patience and generosity of the intructors. All of them freely answered any/all questions and doled out lots of encouragement and tips. Just hanging out with them and shooting the breeze was icing on the cake.

Highlights for me:
-Hanging out with some old friends and meeting lots of new ones, which was made easier by the commonality of surf-fandom.
-Had private lessons with Ferenc, John Blair, Dusty, Matt Quilter, and THE Brett Cole (in a single weekend...crazy!).
-The student band with Fritz on lead guitar and coached by John Blair. JB rocks! He had us up and running as a band in a few minutes and gave us some great instruction and encouragement. I don't mind saying we really nailed our stuff in practice. A few anxiety induced glitches in the performance but still way fun. Fritz's Mosrite sounded HUGE through one of the several brownface Showmans on hand.
-Walking into the lodge every morning to hang out with the other bleary-eyed campers lounging around the fire.
-Awesome performances by The Pyronauts, The Surf Beat Allstars (John Blair, Ferenc Dobronyi, Matt Quilter, Dusty Watson), and Paul Johnson (backed by the Allstars).

HUGE thanks to Paul the Pyronaut and Dusty for putting this together, to Paul's folks Dan and Anne who fed us all 3 squares a day plus snacks and desserts, to all the instructors, and to everyone there for the fun and comraderie.

Don

Last edited: May 29, 2012 11:05:42

Don,
Thanks for your review. I wish I'd have been able to manage being there. Maybe next time. Glad to know that you made it.

Looking forward to reading reviews from others who were there. I'm not a Facebook member so unfortunately I can't check out the pix on the Sierra Surf Music Camp facebook page but maybe some will get posted here.

Congratulations to Paul and all those involved in making this event a success. We need more opportunities like this to share the love of surf music and all that goes with it here in the Northern half of the State.

WOW!! As I read thru this thread I can see that this first-time Event was a huge success on so many levels -- congratz to the organizers, participants who gave of their time, and the surf music 'crowd' that attended

maybe next year I will be able to fly out and be part of this? I sure hope so

what a great idea -- so glad it turned out so positive for all

another example and further proof of how beautiful the camaraderie is amongst the instro surf genre fans and performers

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Last edited: May 29, 2012 12:05:36

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4