Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink La Ola Mexicana (The Mexican Wave)

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Well sorta... so I've recently learned of a hand full of Mexican Surf bands that I believe some of you folks might enjoy. With the help of friend & fellow SG101er, MrGreen I'm able to shed some much needed light on some very talented groups from the homeland. Here's a list and some videos. Check 'em out!

This last band, Sonido Gallo Negro, I really like. They blend cumbia, psychedelic chicha and of course some surf in there. I hope that some of you SG101er's like at least one of these bands. There's lot of great stuff coming out of Mexico, particularly out of El D.F. Some of these bands have the same members. Enjoy!

The Deadbeats

WOW! Great finds. This is sort of like an EP mini-comp and a very good one at that. Are any of these here? Luz from Los Cartablanca is already here. I hope they join too.

Oh yeah. Thanks for sharing. That was fun.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: May 02, 2012 08:07:49

Thanks for this post, what a good way to spend some time (at work haha)

I've been checking out our surf hermanos from Mexico recently. Lot's of great music and a lot of energy in their scene. I say it's the place to watch!

Thanks Abe!!!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Great post- I was already familiar with Lost Acapulco, but many of these are new to me. From what I've seen in heard, I'm definitely digging the high-energy Mex surf scene a lot (and from the rest of Latin America too). Europe ain't the only place outside of the US breaking some ground!

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Thanks for the post Abe,
I had heard of half of these bands,
but always good to find out about new bands.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

los elasticos are mexican too i think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNHHHvgbeA0

Yes, Los Elasticos are from Mexico. Also, yeah I forgot about Los Carta Blanca, great Band. I'm glad you guys are digging some of these groups. We might find out about a couple more. We'll see...

The Deadbeats

Thanks Abe, I'm really digging the videos.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Plenty of sweet stuff in here. Right on, Abraham. Damn, Sonido Gallo Negro is effectively the cumbia party band Abe and I have already vowed to start one day. They freaking rule!

Nice collection you've made there. I do like the regional flair that Sonido Gallo Negro have added to their sound and Telekrimen seem like direct descendants of Esquivel.

Any recordings of 60's Mexican instrumental bands floating around?

Twisted Evil > Angel

wooza wrote:

Plenty of sweet stuff in here. Right on, Abraham. Damn, Sonido Gallo Negro is effectively the cumbia party band Abe and I have already vowed to start one day. They freaking rule!

'tis true. We've where talking about doing a side band that played exactly this form of music (Cumbia/Chicha/Surf). Glad to see that there's an actual band doing it though. Frankie, has been bugging me for months to do something like this. He's really into this band right now.

norcalhodad wrote:

Nice collection you've made there. I do like the regional flair that Sonido Gallo Negro have added to their sound and Telekrimen seem like direct descendants of Esquivel.

Any recordings of 60's Mexican instrumental bands floating around?

Sonido Gallo Negro's sound, although they're Mexican, is heavily a Peruvian style. Glad your diggin' them. I freakin' love this band. As for TELEKRIMEN, I'm not as familiar with Esquivel to make that connection but I've heard a lot of his material. Good stuff indeed.

The Deadbeats

One of these bands needs to play a song called "La Caida de Edgar." Laughing

There's also a band called Matorralman that might be worth mentioning. It's not 100% surf though, it's more like loungy-surf but they're pretty good in my opinion,

http://www.myspace.com/matorralman

Augusto Vite

www.facebook.com/carne.y.cosas

Yes. All great bands, some I prefer more than others but it's definitely an area looking into for some surf music. Glad you guys are liking some of these groups.

The Deadbeats

el bumpo Dead Thread

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

JONPAUL wrote:

el bumpo Dead Thread

Indeed-O.

The Deadbeats

You may like to check this out. SURFMEX 2 is a compilation including the best bands at the time, it was released in 2005 by Grabaxiones Alicia.

Enjoy!

SURFMEX 2 PLAYLIST @ YOUTUBE

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014 10:58:33

MEXICAN MADNESS is another compilation including the best bands at the time, it was released in 2002 by Isotonic Records, there is a Spanish edition of the CD.

SURFMEX is another compilation including the best bands at the time, it was released in 2000 by Grabaxiones Alicia.

Click on the link, there is a YouTube Channel that contains SURFMEX & MEXICAN MADNNES, just scroll down and you are there!

SURFMEX & MEXICAN MADNNES @ YOUTUBE

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014 11:00:04

I think SURFMEX & SURFMEX 2 are out of print by now. If you are interested I can check if there are still available. Here is a link where you can dowmnload both for free. PLAYA MUTANTE BLOG

Mexican Madness is available at Green Cookie Records.
Mexican Madness @ Green Cookie Records

Goto Page: 1 2 Next