Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink GaragePunk Surfcast!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

psychonaut wrote:

Yeah that's the same sort of condescending, rude, obnoxious reply I got.
Thankfully people are alot nicer around here

How, exactly, is it "condescending, rude, obnoxious" to explain to you that we have guidelines? The reason we need those guidelines is that people constantly post stuff just anywhere they want with no regard for site structure, so we've gone into great trouble to detail exactly how the site is laid out and explain where stuff should be posted. I guess that's rude of us, huh? We should just let you do whatever you want, right? Yeah, OK. Try running YOUR OWN site that way and then let me know how that works out for ya. By the way, this is also something that we ask each and every new member to read BEFORE they start posting (spamming) so that they know what's what. If that's too hard for you to accomplish, well, it ain't my fault.

I am not sure what would be wrong with posting a tour schedule for a surf band under the SURF GROUP. It only makes sense, as that contains our target audience. I will gladly read the guidlines, but the purpose of posting such information is to help with exposure, which is better served by going straight to those who would be interested.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

And using the term SPAMMING is a bit misguided. Perhaps my idea of that is different than your own, but posting an East Coast Tour Schedule in the Eastern US Group and the SURF Group hardly consitutes Spamming.

www.thekbk.com

killbabykill34 wrote:

I am not sure what would be wrong with posting a tour schedule for a surf band under the SURF GROUP. It only makes sense, as that contains our target audience. I will gladly read the guidlines, but the purpose of posting such information is to help with exposure, which is better served by going straight to those who would be interested.

Because we have specific regional group forums set up specifically for posting of tours/shows/etc. We also have an Events section for this. The Reverb Tank group is for discussions about surf music, not just for bands to use as they please to post about their tours/shows.

Again, that's all explained in the network guidelines.

killbabykill34 wrote:

And using the term SPAMMING is a bit misguided. Perhaps my idea of that is different than your own, but posting an East Coast Tour Schedule in the Eastern US Group and the SURF Group hardly consitutes Spamming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum#Spamming

Any sort of advertisement (and yes, posting your tour dates constitutes advertising your band) in breach of the forum's rules is considered spam, not just on our site, but plenty of other forums/message boards/social networking sites.

The GaragePunk Hideout is a community of music lovers, just like this site. We just don't take kindly to bands or anyone else abusing the community for the sole purpose of promoting themselves, and by abusing it we mean they don't follow the rules and actually use the tools and part of the site we have set up where it's actually OK for them to do this! You don't run the site, so you don't know how often we get people joining with the sole intention of not being part of a community, but solely spamming us about their band, their record, label, tour, whatever. We see it almost every day. Yet when we catch this stuff and inform them of their transgressions, we're the bad guys. I know all about this... been dealing with this crap for almost a decade now. People always have chips on their shoulders. They have a sense of entitlement that they should be allowed to post whatever they want, wherever they want. The Internet is their playground! And gosh darn it, it's their way or the highway!

The bottom line is it's our site, and this is how we run it. If you don't like it, you don't have to post there. But it's structure, that's all. It's the structure of our site. If you have a big problem with following rules and structure, then find another site to use. That's not me being mean, nasty, rude, or condescending, it's me being HONEST.

Last edited: May 01, 2012 13:42:26

kopper wrote:

psychonaut wrote:

How, exactly, is it "condescending, rude, obnoxious" to explain to you that we have guidelines? The reason we need those guidelines is that people constantly post stuff just anywhere they want with no regard for site structure, so we've gone into great trouble to detail exactly how the site is laid out and explain where stuff should be posted. I guess that's rude of us, huh? We should just let you do whatever you want, right? Yeah, OK. Try running YOUR OWN site that way and then let me know how that works out for ya. By the way, this is also something that we ask each and every new member to read BEFORE they start posting (spamming) so that they know what's what. If that's too hard for you to accomplish, well, it ain't my fault.

It's the way you reply and your tone. The above response is the perfect example. Cold and rude. Again, when you reprimanded me, I apologized and replied in a nice fashion. You replied with another rerprimand and no acknowledgement of my apology, you came at me with hammers.
I left your group because I didn't expect or apreciate such a harsh response. If you can't see how you're being rude and obnoxious in your approach, there's nothing more I can add. You're just here to promote your thing anyway, I see that as no different to what I posted on your board.

https://www.facebook.com/coffindagger
http://coffindaggers.com/
http://thecoffindaggers.bandcamp.com

kopper wrote:

killbabykill34 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum#Spamming

Any sort of advertisement (and yes, posting your tour dates constitutes advertising your band) in breach of the forum's rules is considered spam, not just on our site, but plenty of other forums/message boards/social networking sites.

The GaragePunk Hideout is a community of music lovers, just like this site. We just don't take kindly to bands or anyone else abusing the community for the sole purpose of promoting themselves, and by abusing it we mean they don't follow the rules and actually use the tools and part of the site we have set up where it's actually OK for them to do this! You don't run the site, so you don't know how often we get people joining with the sole intention of not being part of a community, but solely spamming us about their band, their record, label, tour, whatever. We see it almost every day. Yet when we catch this stuff and inform them of their transgressions, we're the bad guys. I know all about this... been dealing with this crap for almost a decade now. The bottom line is it's our site, and this is how we run it. If you don't like it, you don't have to post there. But it's structure, that's all. It's the structure of our site. If you have a big problem with following rules and structure, then find another site to use. That's not me being mean, nasty, rude, or condescending, it's me being HONEST.

Again, how exactly are your posts on here not advertising and self promotion? I did find another, much better site to use!

psychonaut wrote:

Again, how exactly are your posts on here not advertising and self promotion? I did find another, much better site to use!

They are! I don't deny that. But I'm using the one place here where it's OK to post this stuff, am I not? I've looked over the different forums here several times and can't find any better place to plug this show than "Surf Music General Discussion." And since Day One of me promoting the Surfcast here, no one from SurfGuitar101.com has stepped forward to tell me, "hey buddy, lay off. Don't post that here", or "post that stuff in this other forum instead." I read the rules, and as far as I can tell (unless they've changed in the last four years) I'm still abiding by them.

Last edited: May 01, 2012 13:47:18

kopper wrote:

psychonaut wrote:

They are! I don't deny that. But I'm using the one place here where it's OK to post this stuff, am I not? I've looked over the different forums here several times and can't find any better place to plug this show than "Surf Music General Discussion." And since Day One of me promoting the Surfcast here, no one from SurfGuitar101.com has stepped forward to tell me, "hey buddy, lay off. Don't post that here", or "post that stuff in this other forum instead." I read the rules, and as far as I can tell (unless they've changed in the last four years) I'm still abiding by them.

But you don't allow that on your site??? Why? What's your site for then if not to promote and support this sort of stuff?
Actually, I think Brian's response would be alot cooler and nicer if you did violate the rules, and that's the crux of it for me; Had you been cooler about it, I wouldn't have a problem with you at all. Instead you came at me fists swinging acting like I somehow greatly offended you.

psychonaut wrote:

kopper wrote:

psychonaut wrote:

It's the way you reply and your tone. The above response is the perfect example. Cold and rude. Again, when you reprimanded me, I apologized and replied in a nice fashion. You replied with another rerprimand and no acknowledgement of my apology, you came at me with hammers.
I left your group because I didn't expect or apreciate such a harsh response. If you can't see how you're being rude and obnoxious in your approach, there's nothing more I can add. You're just here to promote your thing anyway, I see that as no different to what I posted on your board.

In speech, we are able to communicate meaning and attitude through gesture, facial expression, and tone of voice as well as with words. In writing, of course, we rely on words alone. One of the pitfalls of Internet communication is that people can't read your tone of voice or intention beyond what you say in postings or messages. If you're reading tone into my written words, then that's your fault, not mine. Focus on the words, the intent of the message, and try not to interpret everything as nasty, condescending, or rude just because you disagree with it.

Kopper, I apologize if I have come across rude or if my intentions seemed like spam. Like I said before, I try to target my promotion as effectivly as possible.

I will read through the guidlines a bit more throughly. However, I have lurked on your site for some time. Despite what are obviously your best efforts, I really don't see how beneficial the current setup is. At the same time, I do understand that you are dealing with a much larger number of subscribers than here at SG101.

I will say this much, in defense of Victor. Yes, you are following the rules of this site in your own promotion. However, this site is completely targeted towards Surf musicians, therefore, they are going to be looking at the entire site. On Garagepunk, it is very unlikely that any Surf Music fan is going to be willing or able to rummage through that endless tour and show promotions to find the one or two surf posts per month that might or not even be there.

www.thekbk.com

psychonaut wrote:

kopper wrote:

psychonaut wrote:

But you don't allow that on your site??? Why? What's your site for then if not to promote and support this sort of stuff?

Uh, did you even read what I wrote above? I DO allow this on our site, but in its proper place. Again, I will ask you to refer to the Network Guidelines that I linked above which explains it all in great detail. But you have to READ IT... that's something a majority of forum users have a big problem doing. They don't want to actually read anything; they just want to post whatever it is they want to post and rules be damned.

Actually, I think Brian's response would be alot cooler and nicer if you did violate the rules, and that's the crux of it for me; Had you been cooler about it, I wouldn't have a problem with you at all. Instead you came at me fists swinging acting like I somehow greatly offended you.

Fists flying? Haha, man, you're taking this "tone" thing a bit too far, too, I'm afraid. My "fists" have been right here on my desk the whole time.

killbabykill34 wrote:

Kopper, I apologize if I have come across rude or if my intentions seemed like spam. Like I said before, I try to target my promotion as effectivly as possible.

I will read through the guidlines a bit more throughly. However, I have lurked on your site for some time. Despite what are obviously your best efforts, I really don't see how beneficial the current setup is. At the same time, I do understand that you are dealing with a much larger number of subscribers than here at SG101.

I will say this much, in defense of Victor. Yes, you are following the rules of this site in your own promotion. However, this site is completely targeted towards Surf musicians, therefore, they are going to be looking at the entire site. On Garagepunk, it is very unlikely that any Surf Music fan is going to be willing or able to rummage through that endless tour and show promotions to find the one or two surf posts per month that might or not even be there.

I guess you haven't noticed that The Reverb Tank on the Hideout rarely gets used at all as it is, anyway. You're actually doing yourself a favor by saving some time in NOT posting your tour schedule there. That's actually one of the groups I have slated for removal (due to lack of interest) over the summer after Ning makes some changes to the Forums/Groups structure.

kopper wrote:

psychonaut wrote:

kopper wrote:

psychonaut wrote:

In speech, we are able to communicate meaning and attitude through gesture, facial expression, and tone of voice as well as with words. In writing, of course, we rely on words alone. One of the pitfalls of Internet communication is that people can't read your tone of voice or intention beyond what you say in postings or messages. If you're reading tone into my written words, then that's your fault, not mine. Focus on the words, the intent of the message, and try not to interpret everything as nasty, condescending, or rude just because you disagree with it.

I interpreted it as nasty and condescending, because it was nasty and condescending. You were very clear.

Umm... maybe SG101 isn't the best place to discuss the guidelines of another website...? Big Grin Can you please take this offline to email or something?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I do have to agree with Victor on one thing. Even if you are not aware of, or trying your best not to come across as cold, rude and condescending, all of your efforts are in vain. Tone is often lost in the typed format, but it is impossible not to interpret your responses to many of our replies as anything less than cold, rude and condescending.

I respect your efforts with your site and appreciate you and everyone else that sets up such things for the music they love. Like it or not, bands join them in order to build business connections, audience connections and to advertise. Perhaps there is an attitude of entitlement among many on your site. I certainly do not feel any sense of that within my own efforts. I am just a musicians who is trying to use every resourse possible in order to make sure that there is a reason why I pile in a van with 4 other guys and travel to different cities.

As far as your Wikipedia definition of spam goes, textbook defininition rarely falls in line with public opinion. Personally, my idea of 'spam' is the overabundance of advertisement, often cloggin up message boards and email with the same information, over and over.

www.thekbk.com

Brian, sometimes it is a nice change of pace to get a little heat into one of these threads. In the end, most of us seem to come out unscathed and still having respect for each other.

www.thekbk.com

Sorry, I'll shut up now.

killbabykill34 wrote:

Brian, sometimes it is a nice change of pace to get a little heat into one of these threads. In the end, most of us seem to come out unscathed and still having respect for each other.

Well I'm not objecting to the "heat", I just think it is off-topic to debate the rules of another website on this website.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Fair enough. And just to make this clear. Garagepunk.com is a very ambitious site and I commend their efforts.

www.thekbk.com

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3