Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Pyronauts - Play for Surf

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Well, five years in the making and the CD is off to the replicators... I will use this space to share information and reviews regarding it.

Here's the painting that became the cover:

Awesome news, Paul! Can't wait to hear the new album. Love the artwork!

Bob

That artwork is beyond awesome. There's just too much good surf coming out these days!

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Here's the Track Listing:

1. Sprinkler of Doom
  2. Astroman
  3. Sifaka - acoustic
  4. Amazon Warrior
  5. The Clearing
  6. Pie - acoustic
  7. Chick Habit (Gainsbourg)
  8. Jessica (Betts)
  9. Rumble in Kentucky
  10. Jawbreaker
  11. Moby Dick (Bonham, Jones, Page)
  12. Gymnopedie No. 1 (Satie)

Yes!! Guitar

Don

can't wait to get it, hear it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The CDs are supposed to be done next week. Online shortly after we get them! CD release parties:

April 20th at Beach Hut Deli in Auburn, CA
April 21st at the Iron Door (Holbrooke Hotel) in Grass Valley, CA
April 22nd at Capitol Bowl in West Sacramento, CA

Surf On!

"Play for Surf" is in my hand! Who needs a copy? They should be online within the next couple of weeks... if you can't wait then PayPal $12 postage paid to pyronauts@hotmail.com

I'm about to crap my pants in anticipation!!! Argh Payment sent.

Bob

Got it Bob! CD will be in the mail momentarily!

Just sent payment and can't wait to hear the disc!

Going in the mail first thing in the morning John! Thanks!

The reviews of "Play for Surf" are coming in... and it's official: 3 out of 4 apes like it. Get your paws on it today!

This ape likes it, too! Make it 4 out of 5 apes. Another winner from the wild-men of Auburn. Nice job, Paul!

Bob

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012 12:19:07

Now available on CD Baby with preview clips! If anyone already has the CD maybe you could share a review on CD Baby?

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/thepyronauts

Now available on iTunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/play-for-surf/id520503444?uo=4

Please help us out there with some reviews too!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012 17:05:50

The following is a review from Phil Dirt at Reverb Central:

The Pyronauts - Play For Surf (5 stars)

A fan from early on, I've come to regard The Pyronauts as one of the best modern surfbands, with superbly developed songs that have pushed the genre's evolution along. This album marks a departure from pure surf per se, but don't let that stop you. Play For Surf is loaded with really strong material, very well recorded and arranged. The surf is never far off, even when acoustically played. This is a great record!
Picks: Sprinkler Of Doom, Astroman, Sifaka, Amazon Warrior, The Cleaning, Pie, Chick Habbit, Jessica, Rumble In Kentucky, Jawbreaker, Moby Dick, Gymnopedia No. 1

Track by Track Review

Sprinkler Of Doom (4 stars)
Surf (Instrumental)

"Sprinkler Of Doom" has an interesting melody line with jangle chords and a fuzz chord break. Rippin' double picked leads fly at times. Dramatic, and richly engaging. The muted surf and cowbell section is just superb!

Astroman (5 stars)
Surf (Instrumental)

Perfect muted surf rhythm and a delicate melody line that gently engages ride above great drums and bass. "Astroman" is a fine composition that's very well executed. Infectiously open road!

Sifaka (5 stars)
Acoustic Surf (Instrumental)

"Sifaka" is a superb song - among the coolest ever from The Pyronauts. Reborn in acoustic glory with violin and two acoustic guitars. It's hard to imagine rising above the five stars the original merits. This complete reinvention is way over the top! Spectacular!

Amazon Warrior (4 stars)
Surf (Instrumental)

Lumbering with dribbled surf leads, "Amazon Warrior" is dramatic and luxurious. The only word I can think of here is artful! Then, power turns on and it becomes more a regular surf instro.

The Clearing (4 stars)
Surf (Instrumental)

Gently played, almost acoustic, with a lovely melody and warm sound. "The Clearing" is layered with sunset beauty. What a lovely piece of music!

Pie (4 stars)
Surf (Instrumental)

The wonderful "Pie" gets an acoustic reformation. Rhythmic and engaging, with warmth and very effective arranging.

Chick Habbit (4 stars)
Surf (Instrumental)

dark muted surf and slither in a very different structure. "Chick Habbit" is a complex work with a solid melody and engaging arrangement.

Jessica (4 stars)
Surf (Instrumental)

With an eye on its Southern Rock origin, The Pyronauts convert The Allman Brothers' "Jessica" into Southern Surf! What a pleasure! Great drums, fluid guitar, and sunshine warmth.

Rumble In Kentucky (5 stars)
Cow Surf (Instrumental)

Well now! Steeped in Link Wray and his Raymen's "Rumble," with bluegrass and surf and acoustic jangle. "Rumble In Kentucky" is just wonderful, kinda like Hamster Ranch's "Paranoid." Fiddle, acoustic, and fun!

Jawbreaker (5 stars)
Surf (Instrumental)

Tuff surf rhythm, nasty sax, and a genuine fifties knife fight rumble epic! "Jawbreaker" is mighty heavy, and very dangerous! I love this! Essential!

Moby Dick (3 stars)
Surf (Instrumental)

Led Zeppelin's "Moby Dick" turned aquatic. I never realized how much this song's guitar lines depend on The Chantays' "Blunderbus." A long and very well played drum solo surrounded by heavy riff rock.

Gymnopedie No. 1 (4 stars)
Surf (Instrumental)

Slow and easy, with a bit of sadness and a gentle rain outside. Erik Satie's "Gymnopedie No. 1" may be a very unusual choice, but it sure translate nicely into sullen island surf. Quite lovely!

Last edited: May 12, 2012 23:22:54

5 stars from Phil Dirt!!!!!!!

Ill be getting this when you guys come down in July.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'll send my love with the boys. I'll get Brett to give you a big hug for me Jeff!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next