Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2129 130 131 132 133245 246 Next

Manomanoman!

Ted James
Deep Eddy Records http://www.deepeddy.net
The Nematoads http://www.nematoads.com

the space rangers.......all afternoon

www.surfintheeye.com

Competition Coupe / Surfin' with the Astronauts import two-fer.

-Damon.

Frankie and the Pool Boys.

Bob

VENTURES IN SPACE - CD (((((((((stereo)))))))))))

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012 21:58:41

Dick Dale

The Strange: Nights of Forgotten Films
(The Chris Eckman/Bambi Molesters collaboration)

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

SURF LEGENDS [AND RUMORS 1961-1964]
The super rare original release on DEL RACK (not GARLAND)
26 selections.
Notably missing is, of course the ultra rare (((stereo))) version of PIPELINE taken from the original masters in the Downey vault - by the Chantays - release versions were always mono.

In this image, of the Garland release, PIPELINE has been replaced with INTOXICA which does not appear on the original CD (which I'm listening to now)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012 12:59:52

wow crazy, I bet that cd is really hard to find.
;-/

Jeff(bigtikidude)

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

i have the cassette tape of surf legends and rumors. it will be a sad day if it dies on me.

www.surfintheeye.com

Warren, you got me listening to that over on their website. I'm going to have to download that one. Sounds fantastic.

I have the Del Rack cd version of Legends and Rumors with the alt. of Pipeline. I listen to it all the time, and had no idea it was a rarity. I know this has been discussed, but Cecilia Ann by the "Surftones" (1964) is a bit of a hoax. It was invented in the late 80's for this comp by the producer, Steve Hoffman

I was just listening to (or was, it just went off) "Gun Sho Gun" by the Secret Samurai.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012 20:03:12

CaptainSpringfield wrote:

Same here! It's fantastic.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

bigtikidude wrote:

wow crazy, I bet that cd is really hard to find.
;-/

Remember, there were at least three releases of this CD.

First: On the Del Rack label (mine) 26 songs with the stereo version of Pipeline. RARE and EXPENSIVE

Second: On the Garland label (as shown above) still 26 songs with Intoxica replacing Pipeline. NOT RARE, and less EXPENSIVE

Third: On the Garland label - . STILL AVAILABLE ...PRICES VARY.

I can't vouch for the second or third releases, because I don't have them to compare, but the first version is of the highest fidelity. Absolutely stunning quality. Later versions probably sound just as good. But I don't really know for shure.

P.S. I didn't pay collectors prices for my copy because I bought it in a used record shop back in the 1980's before the Chantays brought a cease and desist order against the Del Rack label, which I'm sure really ticked Steve Hoffman off.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012 12:57:07

According to Steve Hoffman, the label's licensing rights to Pipeline simply expired between the first comp and the re release, so they substituted another track. No legal threats or anything:

"Well, the first version had Pipeline on it, licensed from MCA/Universal. When the license ran out after three years, that was it, so we had to revise the thing. Hence "Intoxica"."

websurfer wrote:

According to Steve Hoffman, the label's licensing rights to Pipeline simply expired between the first comp and the re release, so they substituted another track. No legal threats or anything:

"Well, the first version had Pipeline on it, licensed from MCA/Universal. When the license ran out after three years, that was it, so we had to revise the thing. Hence "Intoxica"."

I STAND CORRECTED. I shouldn't speculate out loud, I guess. ;)
Does Hoffman explain why 5 other tracks mysteriously vanished ?
Just wondering....not trying to stir the pot. Smile

btw... for those interested....here is the 'front' of the CD...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012 02:54:20

Louie7 wrote:

Can you link to the version with only 20 tracks? I haven't been able to find it for sale.

The way I understand it, there are three versions out there. DCC released two around the same time--one on their budget Del Rack label, and one on Garland. They both have identical track listings (including Pipeline).

Third, there is later 1995 reissue you posted above.

websurfer wrote:

Louie7 wrote:

Can you link to the version with only 20 tracks? .

I am happy to annouce that I was wrong. Please disregard my references to any of these albums having 20 tracks. None do.

The listing I was looking at only 'showed' 20 tracks. A link below the 20 tracks said - {click here to view all 26 tracks}. I should have seen that the first time, but I just saw 20 titles and said "These aren't the tracks I'm looking for. Move along"

Well, it's good to know. I'll correct my statements above...to avoid the possiblity of discouraging anyone from snagging this superb CD.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2129 130 131 132 133245 246 Next