Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Greatest Single Surf Song

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

JakeDobner
Theme From Slaying Beauty

Maybe not the best, but a pretty good call. I like the version on Monster Party 2000 a bit more than the one on Sonic Bullets.

I may be showing my ignorance again, but I assume this is a Bambi Molesters original? Is there actually a movie for this to be the theme of? Or is it a theme in search of a movie?

I'm not really decisive enough to pick a best, but as long as we're in Hrvatska, I'd have to say Wanganui. For one thing, it's more surfy. Or maybe I'll change my mind and say Point Break, same reason.

In all seriousness, since someone mentioned the Astronaut's Kuk, how about their Banzai Pipeline? On my CD copy this is mislabelled Kuk. Kuk is the humorous surf jargon vocal; Banzai Pipeline is the surfy number with the thumping bass.

Incidentally, Jesse "Don't Ask" Carraway, the previous drummer for Denver's Aquasonics, who used to sing this for the Aquasonics, told me Kuk was intended for English slang kook, i.e., 'a weirdo'. I was pretty sure it wasn't "K.u.K." (Kaiserlich und Koeniglich = Austrian), but that was as far as I had gotten. I didn't even realize the names were reversed. I don't know the etymology of kook, but it may well have something to do the Swedish reading, i.e., "a putz." In which case, the Astronauts slipped one in (ahem) on everyone, way back when.

After much debating with myself, I'm gonna have to agree with Jake's previous mention of "Intruder." Good God that song is phenomenal. Shocked It's as intense as any surf song I've ever heard, rocks as hard as any, and has as solid and memorable a melody as any other. It's got a ripping chorus, that slow mysterious break in the middle, grumbling low tones, ringing high notes, crazy double picking, fantastic alternate picking, biting chords, string muting, glissandos everywhere, the classic surf beat as a backdrop... it's basically got everything that makes surf great and it does each aspect flawlessly. Anyone heard the KFJC "Curl Rider" cut of the song? I could listen to that recording continuously for days. Even within the surf genre, few of my favorite songs can claim that.

Tuck
In all seriousness, since someone mentioned the Astronaut's Kuk, how about their Banzai Pipeline? On my CD copy this is mislabelled Kuk. Kuk is the humorous surf jargon vocal; Banzai Pipeline is the surfy number with the thumping bass.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. The error is on both the Bear Family and Collectables CDs and one can wonder if the two songs (placed next to each other) already were mixed up on the original album release. Anyway, I guess the mislabeling has something to do with that the chorus for "Kuk" goes like this: "-Banzai Pipeline, shooting the curl..." Laughing

Anyone have the original "Surfin' With The Astronauts" vinyl album?

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

I have a very nice copy.

Have all the Surfaris Lp's too.........

plus Dick Dale, The Raybeats, The Challengers, The Routers, The Wedge, The Jesters, Max Budda & Chris Darrow, The Trashmen, and...

The Deuce Coupes (Hotrodders Choice) ..I love this one.

Louie7

Klas
Anyone have the original "Surfin' With The Astronauts" vinyl album?

I have a very nice copy.

Can you check it then? It would be interesting to know if the two songs were mixed up already on the original release.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Very Happy no problem....

I know it's correct... first track on side two, but I just spun it to be sure!

Tracking order is dead on! Jacket label and grooves are all coordinated.

This message is courtesy of the U.S. Naval weather, weights and measures atomic research center in Boulder Colorado. Laughing

L7

Thanks for checking that, Louie. I was curious myself.

The other weird case like that I've run into is the Impact's Wipeout. There the first six and last six cuts have their labels swapped. It's like that on the CD and on the online labelling service that Real Player uses.

Everybody's put in excellent choices, and I love 'em all!

However, I gotta say that one of the reasons the Second Wave got started back in '80-'81 was due to the inspired energy and anthenticity of two L.A. Surf Bands, The Surf Raiders, and Jon & The Nightriders (forefather of Slacktone).

For greatest surf tune, my vote goes to The Surf Raiders' "Curl Rider"

If you've never heard it, GET A COPY OF IT ASAP. It was featured on the GNP-Crescendo compilation "Bustin' Surfboards", and between that and the Surf Raiders' "Wave Walkin'" it represents a major contribution to the genre. The songs were the collaborative effort of Bob Dalley and Loyd Davis, and in my opinion, they both deserve a small piece of immortality for those two songs.

Here here! for Wave Walkin'! I had that song on a tape as a teenager and listened to it hundreds of times, and it still thrills me to hear it.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Yes! Jon Blair and Robert J Dalley were very important to get me in surf full throttle in the 80s!
Wave Walk'n is great as is Curl Raider, Suicide Point, Tsunami & more
Haven't played them much lately, thanks for reminding...

I wish I could have seen Jon and the Nightriders , the Surf Raiders.
and The Halibuts too in the 80's. I was here, just too young.

I heard that Halibuts shows in the south bay had 500 or more people show up, and they had to wait outside for people to come out, for more
to go in.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

My favorites:

Bombora! by The Original Surfaris
Red Sunrise by The Space Cossacks
Playa de los Muertos by The Bomboras

Vincent

Is this something you can share with the rest of us, Amazing Larry?!?

greatest SINGLE surf song ????????????????????

OK.... the winner is SIMILAU.

sorry, losers. (just kidding, awl yew over reactors.....) HAHAHAHAH

Very Happy

end of story?

L7

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007 20:26:17

Hmm. Hmmm Them's fightin' words.

no they're not.

jeez...................................... Rolling Eyes

Louie Seven

bigtikidude
I heard that Halibuts shows in the south bay had 500 or more people show up, and they had to wait outside for people to come out, for more
to go in.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Imagine if we could get shows that packed nowadays!

-K

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

Louie7
no they're not.

jeez...................................... Rolling Eyes

Louie Seven

Aagh, I was just jokin'.

Sheesh. Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing

Do vocals count ?

how about .. " I Want A Sunday Kind of Love "

Jan and Dean ?

no ?

ok...... fine....

TUBE CITY - - - Los Trashmen

Very Happy

....and maybe HOT DOGGIN' by The Astronauts.

Killer track, but no sax.

Pipeline

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next