Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
306 days ago

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
306 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
291 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
218 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
218 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
138 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
117 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
85 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
79 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
40 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

79%

79%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink How Do You Buy Your Music These Days? CD’s, LP’s, Digital Downloads? (Quick 30 Second Survey)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

I just took the survey. Q1 is amibigous. A digital format can also be a physical format, like a cd.

I buy vinyl only if the album cover art and/or inserts are kick ass. I don't miss the sound of vinyl.
Never bought or stole streaming anything.
I buy cds & put 'em on my ipod if I like 'em.

I would like to see cds go away in favor of dvd audio or better yet, blu ray audio. 16 bit 44.1 just doesn't get it any more when you know there are better formats. Hopefully soon, all music can be bought on blu ray or some other lossless physical format that we can also play in our cars.

All Cd for me

I was happy to dump the turntable and cassette player.

Tech moves to fast. Will wait for chip in head before switching formats.

Double-Crown-Records wrote:

In regard to Spotify and other streaming services, they do pay artists and labels, but it's pennies at a time that add up to a buck or two here and there. If there's a time where everyone just used Spotify or Pandora, I'd shut down Double Crown. I think streaming services have their place, but I really hope they don't become the sole source of music. I could write an essay why this scenario would be a complete nightmare for the music fan, and none of it would have to do with the closing of Double Crown. Essentially, nearly all of the labels you know and love would go away, and Spotify would become a worldwide "label", the only "label". I hate to go into grumpy old man mode, but if the world goes streaming only with music it'll ruin the music industry, majors and indies.

Yeah, it always would suck if there's only 1 or 2 outlets for anything, regardless of whether or not the accept all material. It makes it very difficult to get anything done and not deal with the behemoth. Look at Amazon, for example. They'll sell anything, but your buyer has to go through Amazon. And that's a loss of control, one way or another.

Sure individuals can do their own streaming, but then how do you get new listeners? Word of mouth isn't as powerful as word of Facebook. Maybe there will end up being streaming aggregators and search engines to help sort it all out.

Then again, streaming isn't always what anyone wants, anyway. Someone else is coming up with the playlist. How can you combine the control of streaming with the user-friendliness of downloads or physical media? (Then again, with my artist hat on, I don't need a lot of control over what my user does with the media, other than the usual don't put me out of business stuff. Once I get it into their hands, that copy is theirs.)

FWIW - Like most of the replies I prefer a physical copy and enjoy having the artwork/packaging. I buy digital dowmloads and/or stream only when I don't have the option to buy the CD, or when it costs 2 or 3 times the price of the download - which I'm finding more the case with overseas bands. Ultimately I make a audio CD of the digital download to keep a physical copy.

CUTBACK

I buy LPs.

Science friction burns my fingers.

I just got A Spectrum of an Infinite Scale on vinyl, that is a great sounding LP. One of those albums that just make you aware of how vinyl can be superior.

Please forgive me if this has been mentioned on here in a similar context before. Here's the thing about vinyl...it FORCES you to actively participate in listening!!! Huh??? Yes, active, conscious, present listening--something that is, for the most part, severely lacking in today's "multi-tasking" world. When one puts on a "record," one has to monitor it in order to change the side. Thus, hopefully causing the listener to actually sit there and do nothing but listen! What a concept!!!! Far too often these days, music is relegated to the "background," where no one really concentrates on it or digests it through their ears, brain and spirit, as it is intended.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Exactly!!
that's why the ipod in my iphone doesn't have any music on it.
I want to listen to music when I put it on.

2 weekends ago, I went down to San Diego to a friends house,
he got a new 3000 dollar turntable.
I brought a big stack of records, and a six pack of beer.
and we sat and listened in amazement.
we truly enjoyed the music and the day.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Depends. I prefer to buy vinyl. If a release isn't available on vinyl or I just want it quickly, I'll buy a digital download copy. I'll buy a CD if that is all that is available, but my CD purchases have pretty much plummeted within the last couple of years.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I do buy some digital downloads, but I also get a lot of cds. Mind you, I often rip the cd to the computer and keep the hard copy on the rack.

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

JONPAUL wrote:

Yes, active, conscious, present listening--something that is, for the most part, severely lacking in today's "multi-tasking" world. Far too often these days, music is relegated to the "background," where no one really concentrates on it or digests it through their ears, brain and spirit, as it is intended.

+1

That could be a thread all its own...

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

DNAdude wrote:

JONPAUL wrote:

Yes, active, conscious, present listening--something that is, for the most part, severely lacking in today's "multi-tasking" world. Far too often these days, music is relegated to the "background," where no one really concentrates on it or digests it through their ears, brain and spirit, as it is intended.

+1

That could be a thread all its own...

I agree and I'm certainly guilty of this myself. That said, I stay so damn busy working, gigging, rehearsing, family and other it's just difficult for me to "sit down" and listen to anything for long.

On off weekends during the summer though there's nothing better than beaching the boat on a sandbar, listening to Surf music (mp3 player) and having a cold one!

not to self..do more of that! Yes

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012 12:11:55

Preferably always CDs, as long as they are a) available and b) at a reasonable price. LPs are my second choice, also if available & at a reasonable price. I might pay a little more for the price of the LP if it comes with a mp3 download.

If the album is download only, or much cheaper/easier to acquire than say a pricey import, then I download (usually always from Amazon). And I always burn to cd what I download. Still, I'd rather have a ready to buy physical copy.

I don't have access to a good printer, so whatever cover art goes with the cd-r I burn won't look nowhere as good as what might be offered as part of the download package.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2